IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Grabbing and "stuttering" when driving, surging at stop sometimes

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

MONeill
Year and Model: 2006 V70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
MONeill

Grabbing and "stuttering" when driving, surging at stop sometimes

Post by MONeill » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:36 pm

V70 Turbo

My 2006 V70 seems to intermittantly stutter (quickly) when driving along the highway at cruising speed. I also notice that it occasionally surges a couple of times when stopped. I feel like something is wrong with transmission but the fluid is clear and clean and no codes are showing. There is no noticable drop in RPM and it is just like it is slipping on ice briefly. The behaviour is somewhat consistant. The car only has 128,000km on it so I just think it cannot be the transmission but ....................

My mechanic says we could try a transmission fluid flush but really it seems like that is silly given the fluid is clean and clear! Any ideas as to what simple things I could try first. I heard it could be fuel pump or failing ETM? The test for ETM that I heard did not prove any result.

I suspect transmission of course as I think most would. But I cannot believe that with only 128,000km! Any ideas would be appreciated. Could a flush on clean fluid be a likely solution? My next step is to bring it to a transmission shop but reluctant as all my experiences with these guys were not very positive.

Appreciate the help and thanks for looking.

MONeill

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: Grabbing and "stuttering" when driving, surging at stop sometimes

Post by matthew1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Welcome to MVS. Do you know the history of the car? Here's the worst case scenario: you just bought it, and the guy before you did a trans fluid flush to make the fluid look and smell good for the sale. And it was the first/only fluid change the trans has ever gotten.

However if RPMs don't rise when the slipping occurs, chances are it's not the transmission.

Discount an ETM theory. The problem ETMs were years before 2006.

I'd look at air, spark and fuel. Air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter. The basics first.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

MONeill
Year and Model: 2006 V70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
MONeill

Post by MONeill » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate the forum.

I will take your advice and follow up with posts as I move through simple solutions. My bad as I typed 2006 but it is actually a 2004.

Cheers

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:46 am

Traditional "problem" ETMs were still in the distant past even for 2004s.

See Stage 0 for a basics checklist.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Well, you mechanic seems both wrong and right. Firstly, can't see how the issue is related to the transmission. So perhaps I'd go to another place next time. However, it is a good idea to replace the transmission fluid with the exact 3309 type. Do not put it on a flushing machine. Google up about thing topic, very discussed.

As for the stutter, it acts like an FPS sensor issue, if your engine happens to have one at the right end of the fuel rail (the FPS for turbo has different number than the FPS for non turbo)