DTC Errors on 03 V70 T5 - ABS/DSTC issues? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive P2 platform cars sold as model years 2001-2007 (North American market year designations).

2001 - 2007 V70
2001 - 2004 V70 XC (Cross Country)
2004 - 2007 XC70 (Cross Country)
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
2004 - 2007 V70 R

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70

DTC Errors on 03 V70 T5 - ABS/DSTC issues?

Post by Botbasher »

Howdy All!

I have been scanning the forums about the particular errors I am trying to chase down, but I didn't want to resurrect old or hijack others thread, so I figured I'd start my own.

I picked up an 03 v70 T5 a week ago and am trying to chase down a couple of DTCs. I am new to the Volvo CAN-BUS system, but get the idea via my years with VW. I'm just looking for a bit of guidance in making sure I am following the right breadcrumbs! When I got the car, a friend came over and we hooked up his VIDA/DICE and pulled a slew (4 pages) of codes. Everything from Seat Temp Failure to ABS. We reset it and it popped up 5 new ones... but some big ones, but at least it was more manageable!

As read from VIDA they are:

CEM-1A5F Communication with BCM control module Signal missing
ECM-510F Vehicle speed signal (VSS) - Signal Missing
ECM-9400 Brake pedal sensor - Signal missing
PHM-000C Handset hook Signal Missing
UEM-0004 Siren Communication Fault

From my OBD-II reader I get:

P0571 - Brake switch A circuit malfunction
P0504 - Brake switch A Brake switch B Correlation

On the dash I have lit: ABS - BRAKE - DSTC - Red ! - "Brake Failure Stop Safely"

Other symptoms: Odometer & Cruise Control don't work. DTSC button is lit constantly.

What I found and corrected(ing):

Front brake pads were completely worn - Replaced (Rears are good)
DSTC Yaw Sensor - Under Pass seat and was very submerged at one time - Connector is OK, but another unit has been ordered just incase (from UK so it'll be a bit before I know what this does)
Reflowed solder on Inst Cluster to stop "hieroglyphics" in DIM
Replaced Brake Position Sensor 30742306 with tested JY unit (jury still out on this attempt)
Replaced the Alarm Siren Module. I reworked the battery before installing but don't know how to tell if it's working. Does the unit "beep" upon arming or only on trip?

Where I am I at with all this then... I have the suspected Yaw sensor on order with the hope this would help with the DSTC error light and then the ABS (since I presume that one relies on the other in this case). I am wondering what else I might check or correct before I go and waste my buddy's time rechecking the VIDA report.

Given what is presented, what is the next logical step? My inexperience with the system and it's workings is making it really hard to see what I need to check next!

Thanks in advance!

K "DTC'd" S
Attachments
hc_1491603306814.jpg
IMAG0772.jpg
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??

Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

OK... was an interesting evening!

I played on my friends good graces and drove the car to his place. We scanned it with VIDA again and got a another round of errors, some new, some old. Here's what we came up with and the current hypothesis.

2017-04-11 20.36.25.jpg

A big chunk of these are explainable and I'll manually correct them shortly, such as..

UEM... I tried a LED lamp in the cargo area. It fails to shut off, so I get an error.

PHM..I pulled the phone keypad out, but it looks like it's a terminator, so I'm going to reinstall it and see what it effects.

2017-04-11 20.30.55.jpg

PSM... I kept the XC seat controls with the XC seats I installed. Apparently they are mated... &^%$*&%$*&^% CAN-BUS. Swap back should cure that one.

That leaves the biggies...

ECM-9400 Brake Pedal Sensor Missing... This one has been constant and I am not sure where to look since all the lights function normally. I have replaced the position sensor on the booster. I'm not seeing the forest on this one. Will the ABS module give this one? Does the switch have multiple circuits that can allow lights to work normally, but cause the BCM to see a fault?

ECM-510F Vehicle Speed Signal (VSS) - Signal Missing... This one has been constant too. I presume this is why the Odo doesn't work. I literally just found a 6 year old thread dealing with this one under a P0502 code title, checking ABS sensors and such, so I have a new path for this one now!

So does anyone have a hint on the ECM-9400 code and where my time would be best spent trying to figure it out? The 501 thread I found had a lot of options to try, so I'll follow that process out and see what fruit it bears.

Thanks for reading this far!

Cheers!

K "CAN-BUS Hater" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

I have another post with this topic regarding ABS module identity, but it might help someone that finds this via a web search since I referenced specific codes here.

Well.... I don't know if I dodged a bullet here or if I've just moved the problem to a new spot, but I figured I'd report what happened and see if it helps anyone ID a module or solve an issue.

The symptoms I had in the car were:

DTSC light on button and dash - no function on button
ABS warning light on
BRAKE light on
Check Engine light on - P0504 & P0571
DIM display showing Brake Failure
Odometer not functioning
Trip computer not functional
Cruise Control not functional

I came home and looked at my car after asking this question. I took a super hard look at the ABS system and determine that there was zero evidence that it had ever been molested. No wrench marks on the brake lines. No scratches, scrapes or other evidence of tampering. The decider was the white paint on the locking tab for the ABS connector. They put that on to verify it was checked during assembly. It was still there on both pieces.

So I ran back to the yard and took a turn on the JY Wheel of Misfortune. I paid $30 for a ABS module with the same 1224 code as my current one. It was actually the 1224 module from the 02 XC that I stripped the interior from last weekend!! It really was in nice shape and now I'm even more confused as to why it ended up in the yard!!

Anyhow... I dropped the module in... Turned on the key and.... No lights!! I started the car and they came on for 2 seconds then went right out like they should, except for the check engine. Grabbed my reader and cleared the code and Walla!! They all stayed gone. So I tested our theory that the ABS feeds the ODO... Yep... I am putting mileage on the car. Apparently the ODO stopped in 2014 @ 132405 so I have a couple years of mileage to make up for!!

So other than the SRS warning in the display and red ! triangle, it appears that the 1224 module is a DSTC unit and appears to have solved the issues. I still cannot turn off the DSTC, but I am guessing that it won't work properly until I get the SRS cleared. Volvo Safety, right??

So as soon as I get the trans fully fixed, I'll take it out and see if I can get the ABS to function to confirm full operation, but at this state, it passes self check which is a damn good sign!!

At this time, unless someone has proof to the contrary, I have to believe that the 1224 module is the STC/DSTC (despite what I found on FCPEuro) since I found it in many cars that have STC and mine with DSTC. The trigger would appear to be the Yaw Sensor being present. Makes sense anyway but have no proof of that correlation.

I hope this saves someone some headaches with these modules and shows which ones can be used where, since info on the subject seems to be Merlinesque in origin!

I'll let you know how it goes from here, but I seem to have wiped out about 80% of the problems I had I one simple module swap!!

K "Yayyyyy!!" S
Attachments
ODO working and lights or!!! Yayyyyyy
ODO working and lights or!!! Yayyyyyy

Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

A very knowledgeable user... precopster added this to the other thread. I think it'll benefit anyone that finds this one too!!

Yes you were lucky with the BCM as it's known. The internal software of the 2002 DSTC model at the parts yard happened to be the same as the internal software on your 2003 model. With Vida the software version can be checked in Diagnostics-Network.

All BCMs after 2001 share the same part number however Volvo can program them with or without DSTC depending on options preferred at time of ordering. This keeps production costs down and only one part required on the shelf at the factory. It also means you must go to the dealer if you purchase a used one with the wrong software.

This wasn't the case prior to 2002 as there were two very different modules in use depending on how the vehicle was optioned.

Basically it came down to.... after 2001 the label on the BCM (ABS Module) doesn't necessarily mean it'll work in your car. Just that it is a similar part, but the internal programming can, and probably will be, different!! So if you're picking one up off eBay or used without the car present to inspect for identifiers, you don't know what you're buying!!

Cheers!!

KS

Marcobrick
Year and Model: 2003 V70T5

Post by Marcobrick »

Sorry to dredge this thread up, but I found it after searching the boards for hours to gather information that might help me with my problem. All the symptoms you first described are identical to mine, but I’m dying to know if while your odometer wasn’t counting, was the speedometer working? Most other threads about similar problems reported non functioning speedometer and tach. My speedometer and tachometer do work but the odometer and trip functions and the clock do not. I have my abs module sitting open on the table right now wondering if I should attempt a repair as replacing the brake pedal position sensor has achieved nothing.
The Fleet:
2008 XC90 D5
2014 Nissan Leaf
1973 Fiat 125
1970 MGB GT
1973 Land Rover Series 3 flat deck.
Previously:
2003 V70T5
1996 850R sedan
1994 850T5 Sedan
1995 850 Turbo Wagon
1998 V70T5