IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo AC High Side Extension/Adapter or Trick? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Volvo AC High Side Extension/Adapter or Trick?

Post by oragex » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:37 pm

old school thumbs up!

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:20 pm

Well, the joy was short lived.... I'm really not a fan of NC weather.... but I digress.

I can confirm that you CAN read high side pressure, in kPa from within VIDA. Depending on the conditions, you should see about 12-1500 kPa of Volvo followed conventional R-134a wisdom.

Unfortunately after a week of rain, the sun came out full force today and I found out that I do truly have a leak. Only 1065 kPa while on.. so just enough to turn the compressor on but not enough to cool.

I think I figured out where it might be leaking... Or at least I hope it is..

The caps were off the ports when I got it. They were very very dirty. The LP port is directly below the power steering reservoir which has a new hose. Now in addition to that, my passenger side subframe bushings are gooey, so....

I am betting that the hose was cut at some point by the PS Pulley as there is spray every where on that side of the bay. That got on the bushings and liquidfied them. It also probably got into the LP port and would have a very similar effect on the Schrader Valve O-Rings. They would get eaten and recompress till they couldn't and you'd get small leaks. That's my story and I'm sticking to it for now!!

So I'm going to pick up a kit that has new valves and caps. Hopefully that cures it because when it works... It works really well, but we're headed into summer in NC and the GF isn't going to tolerate 4-60 AC but once!!

We'll see!!

K "Shraded" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:22 pm

PAG oil used in A/C has UV dye in it. Get UV flashlight and check where it leaks exactly.
05 XC70 260k, 16 XC60 40k, 19 Tundra 1k

Botbasher
United States of America
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:03 pm

vtl wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:22 pm
PAG oil used in A/C has UV dye in it. Get UV flashlight and check where it leaks exactly.
Vtl.... I'm so good at this... I can see UV!!!

It sounded really good for a second though, didn't it??

I grabbed the 30lb bottle of 134 , the scale and vac pump from work and figured I'd give it a look when I got home. Took me about 3 seconds to find the big yellow smears around the HP port. With no cap you could tell something had come out of there.

So, as I figured, I set about replacing the Schrader in the HP. $#@*&(##_# Damn thing won't come out. #[email protected]@&&#"*#_#

So I go get my jewellers needle nose pliers. They're about 4" long and perfect for this. It finally breaks free and I find out why the normal tool couldn't get it... Volvo uses a XXXL Schrader. Figures.

At least I got caps with the kit I bought. Oh... Look... There... Under all the crud around the LP, the OE LP cap was buried. OMG there is a ton of gunk in there!!! I hear a lot of pressure washing in the future!!

OK, so I go to plan C and pull a vac on it. It pulls nicely and I let it sit for an hour. ZERO LOSS!!! So anything I lose is going out the valves.

Grab my scale... Dump 1Kg in it and let her rip!! Ahhhhhh Nipple hurting cold!!!

Now I'll have to find Volvo's version of a Schrader and do this all again as I'm sure those will still leak and those caps will only slow it so much.

On a side note... I was able to deform the core support enough to allow my HP adapter to sit on it... Barely. It's not pretty, but I'm not doing it daily...I hope!!

Cheers!!

K "Chilly Willy" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 am

Isn't spec charge on P80s more like 750g? Too much charge will hurt cooling performance , not help it. Hot climates use lower charge, cool climates more.

Your nipples should be frozen too much to hurt, but this thread can only go downhill after that,.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:55 am

abscate wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 am
Isn't spec charge on P80s more like 750g? Too much charge will hurt cooling performance , not help it. Hot climates use lower charge, cool climates more.
My 02 V70 had 1.0 kg mentioned on the label under the hood, 05 XC70 - 0.7 kg. Owner's manual says "1 kg" for all model years, go figure.
05 XC70 260k, 16 XC60 40k, 19 Tundra 1k

Botbasher
United States of America
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 am

Vtl nailed it... underhood label states 1.0kg.

You have some latitude on this number. 1.01kg and the unit doesn't explode. Ambient temps have a big effect on this as well as system size. The heat pump in my lab right now was charged to 2.5x and survived. It didn't work well, but there was no real damage to it. We recovered/vacuumed it, recharged it properly and off it went. None the worse for wear.

On the 750g note. The unit was making very cold air long before I got to 1kg. I could have left it there with no issues till possibly high summer temps. I wouldn't be surprised if both are accurate, but environmentally based. S & SW areas getting 750 and cooler climates getting 1000. Could explain the 1200-1500kPa readings that are "normal". That's a pretty broad spread for a stable system.

All I really know it's that it was nice and cool when I jumped into it a minute ago, with 85 outside. I can live with that!!

Cheers!!

K "cool" S