IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Air bag fault message

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Magyar1125
Year and Model: XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Magyar1125

Air bag fault message

Post by Magyar1125 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:12 am

2004 XC70 was dirty so I vacuumed it. Hard. It seems I vacuumed some of the insulation right off two wires under the driver's seat and caused a short which fried a sensor for the Driver's side airbag (8622365). I found a replacement sensor at a salvage shop. Can I just replace it or are there certain steps to follow so I don't fry this one? Will the car need to be flashed?

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
Botbasher

Re: Air bag fault message

Post by Botbasher » Thu May 04, 2017 6:25 am

Wow... I am amazed that you didn't set off the airbag system if you did that!! I have watched guys installing alarms and while probing wire harnesses, shorted the SRS wires and POP! One guy got hit pretty hard but survived to laugh about it!!

Magyar... are you talking about the single orange "wire" that goes up into the side of the seat? Those are hard double insulated (wire insulation then hard outer coating) to prevent just this very thing. Did something mechanically damage it before you hit it with the vac?

If the insulation was that badly deteriorated by an environmental issue, then you might want to look at a bigger scope of repair since you have a Power Seat Module right there that can cause additional issues on the CAN bus... ask me how I know!!!

Also... That module you listed looks like a Rear Crash Impact Sensor... not the SRS module in the side of the seat. I have been all over my XC seats and decarpeted car lately and that one doesn't look familiar. You sure you looking at the right module you want to replace? If you want to replace the airbag portion, I have had my seats in/out half a dozen times in the last month and deskinned 2x. It's not a big deal, but as with any CRITICAL safety item though.... These things should be dealt with by a trained service tech. It is your life we are possibly talking about and finding out it didn't work at the most inopportune time could be costly!

Cheers!

K "seated" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??