IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

OBD2 Code Reading Issue

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

geminiys
Year and Model: XC70, 2005

OBD2 Code Reading Issue

Post by geminiys »

My dad's XC70, 2005 has Check Engine Light On. I have tried reading the code using 2 different, generic OBD2 scanners that work on all other, new cars that I have but on Volvo I get "Communication Error". The scanners are pretty good, one is on the expensive side and the other is a cheap one but both give the same result. I have checked the obvious - fuse and found to be in working order. Anyone knows what could it be? I would like to read the code and get it fixed ASAP. Please advice.

Thank you
geminiys

Re: OBD2 Code Reading Issue

Post by geminiys »

No body has any suggestions?
JRL
Year and Model: Several

Post by JRL »

Yes buy a new one, one that reads CAN and works on Volvos past 2005. (ask the manufacturer)
System changed and older and/or cheaper readers do not work on 05s and newer
2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]
Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70

Post by Botbasher »

Short of buying a new one... which is the best overall solution and if you intend on keeping the Volvo in the stable, I suggest a VIDA/DICE unit as it's saved me thousands in the weeks I've used it...

Head down to PepBoys/Autozone/Advance.... and have them read it for you. Theirs are current to this year and it'll tell you if you have a Comm issue before you get another unit only to find the same issue faces you!

Good Luck!

K "Lovin La VIDA loca" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??
geminiys

Post by geminiys »

Thank you for suggestions. The reader I have supports CAN bus as well as others but still doesn't work on my Volvo. In California the auto stores are no longer allowing to have OBD2 reading to be performed, that is what I heard. However, I will go and ask to see if they will or not.

Thanks again guys.
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

Ok.... do they have loaner tools? Advance and ORileys here will "loan" you tools... basically you buy then and they refund you when you bring it back.

Barring that... you could hit up an indie garage... let them read it... Get their list of needed repairs or read it over their shoulder.

Being able to read CAN-bus is like speaking a language... you may be able to understand the words, but do you understand their meaning? Volvo, VW, GM, Ford, Renault, Fiat.... What languages does your Reader speak??? DTC codes are pretty generic to a point, but unless it's updateable, it's only as good and as current as the day it was sold... and usually a year or so before that.

Two different readers failing is odd... you might have a bad port, but until you get to a known capable reader (one that's read similar MY cars), I'd suspect my readers because if the car is operable, the odds of the OBD being dead is pretty slim.

K "bon jour" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Post by mrbrian200 »

How old is it? Many older less expensive scanners say they support CAN, but if you dig you'll find they don't support CAN 2.0b (higher speed, longer 29 bit length). In essence they only read older CAN cars before the early-mid 2000s. Your XC70 is high speed/29b.
Cookie-the-Swede
Year and Model: 2003 S60 2.5T AWD

Post by Cookie-the-Swede »

Check the seal on your gas cap. The last three times I got a "check engine" light, it turned out to be the gas cap.
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

Cookie-the-Swede wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:22 am Check the seal on your gas cap. The last three times I got a "check engine" light, it turned out to be the gas cap.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if all our Volvo DTCs were that simple?

Worth a try though!!

K "parabellum" S

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

The AUTEL series reads my 2005 CANBUS just fine, as well as my 2006 BMW.

The successive models are actually all the same unit, there are just more cars in software - I bought the 800 series as I tend to get a lot of requests for car help in the hood from all makes. I paid about $150 for mine some years back. It has paid for itself N times, N large.
In California the auto stores are no longer allowing to have OBD2 reading to be performed,
Thats probably unreliable information. Stores will certainly tell you this and sell you the reader, but I have had Moms Golf read in Orange County for free at one of the chains last year.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary