IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Schrader Valve for High Side? Need Part Number Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
Botbasher

Schrader Valve for High Side? Need Part Number

Post by Botbasher » Tue May 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Hey All!

While poking around the engine bay I noticed that there was some yellow leak detector around the High Side port under the core support. I had previously ID'd this as a problem point and thought I might have to replace it... well... I do!

So I ran down to the local parts house... Picked up a AC repair kit... and .... No Joy. Volvo uses a Schrader that is no where near the size of every other one on the market! I checked several other parts houses and... NADA.

OK... So I jump on line and go to Volvo online parts.... and NADA!!! Yep... Volvos breakdowns show it, but do not give a part number for it! Look at #8 in the diagram and see that it jumps right from #3 to #14!!! WTF!!!

Schrader ID.jpg
So does anyone know a good part number for this Schrader or a known good equivalent? We're coming into hot days here in the south and I would like to have this corrected before this Nordic Boy melts!!

Thanks!

K "sweaty" S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??

Botbasher
United States of America
Botbasher

Re: Schrader Valve for High Side?? Need Part Number!

Post by Botbasher » Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 am

No one has ever had to dig for this part?? That's crazy!!! Someone has to have it written down somewhere!!!!

K "getting warmer" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

Fataqui
Year and Model: 2007, xc70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Fataqui

Re: Schrader Valve for High Side? Need Part Number

Post by Fataqui » Mon May 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi

The low-side valve (found on the tube going to the expansion valve) and the high-side valve (found on the actual condenser drier) are both the same valves, volvo classic part (6849305) That's only if your vehicle still has the original condenser, really the only time that high-side condenser drier valve might be different is if you have an aftermarket TYC condenser drier installed as they use a different valve size on some of their aftermarket volvo thigh-side condenser drier valves. In other words, volvo, valeo, behr, nissan and spectra all follow the SAE J-639 standard for both high-side and low-side valves, only TYC uses a non-standard valve in some of their aftermarket volvo condensers. So you can buy any a/c valve that follows the SAE J-639 standard that you want, and that would be volvo (6849305), 4 seasons (59335), and santech (MT1544). Yes there are other valve manufactures, but I can't remember them right now...

F!

Botbasher
United States of America
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher » Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Fataqui wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 10:11 pm
Hi

The low-side valve (found on the tube going to the expansion valve) and the high-side valve (found on the actual condenser drier) are both the same valves, Volvo classic part (6849305)
F!
That's interesting.... Where did you reference that part number??

I would think they're different parts because of the 2 different locator numbers on Volvos break down.

It wouldn't be the first time Volvo is wrong, but I'd like to know where you got that info so I can reference it.

Thanks!!

K "parted" S

Fataqui
United States of America
Fataqui

Re: Schrader Valve for High Side? Need Part Number  Topic is solved

Post by Fataqui » Mon May 22, 2017 10:41 pm

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showA ... elYear=0Hi

If you go to any of the volvo part websites just look up your condenser part (#) and you should find a link or diagram to all the a/c components, I'll give you example below, but like I already said, both the high-side and low-side valve cores will always be the same....

Example... volvo xc70 2001 - 2007 (item # 17)

http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/20 ... r=31267200

cross-reference (high-side condenser valve same as low-side valve) ie; 6849305 (item # 6)

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showA ... odelYear=0

Fataqui
United States of America
Fataqui

Post by Fataqui » Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi

Just wanted to throw this out there...

Cross-referencing is important because sometimes you won't find a part listed in one reference because that part is part of a bigger assembly (ie; is usually included with that part). But cross-referencing can help you in many other ways too, for example, (1) it can help you find a part that usually is included with another part, (2) it can help you find out if a part actually fits / or doesn't fit your actual application, or (3) it can help you find a different part number to a discontinued part that is the same part that your car would use but has a different part number for an entirely different model vehicle, or (4) it can also help you find a good quality aftermarket OE part that volvo shows only as being a "DEALER ONLY PART". Take for example your a/c system, it has (2) hoses, (1) the compressor to condenser hose / line, and (2) the compressor to low-side tube to the expansion valve. Now if you spend sometime cross referencing both those hoses / lines you would find that hose / line (2) the hose / line going from compressor to low-side tube to the expansion valve shows as a "DEALER ONLY PART", but then hose / line (1) going from compressor to condenser can be found online in OE format for a mere $30.00, and volvo(s) online lowest price is 135.00. But then again... if you have an old enough volvo catalog or a long list of older part number / cross-references you would find that the hose / line (2) going from compressor to low-side tube to the expansion valve that shows as only being a "DEALER ONLY PART" online can also be found online in OE format for a mere $25.00, and volvo(s) online lowest cost is $130.00. And no it won't have the volvo part number that you will find on any of the volvo online sites because the cross-reference (#) that shows that it will really fit your vehicle was removed when that old part number / cross-reference for that part was superseded by a new part number. So like I said, cross-referencing is an important tool that can help you in many different ways...

Have fun
F!

Botbasher
United States of America
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher » Tue May 23, 2017 6:48 am

Fataqui wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 pm
Hi

Just wanted to throw this out there...

Have fun
F!
Fataqui.... You are the man!!!

I went back to my own car... 03 V70 T5... and looked, not under Air Conditioning, but under Condenser... and wouldn't you know it!! Dumb A$%# Sweeds!!!

See, when looking through a VAG parts listing for my VW and Audi needs, they'd point out that #1 is a sub assembly and point you to that page. Not excise any reference to is and leave you holding a blank! IN the VAG world, a blank means not OEM supplied and you are SOL!!!

For you though... Cross Referencing. That only works if you are very familiar with the systems or are just plain lucky. Even your Tasca Parts reference has NOTHING listed for #6. There is no easy way for a new guy to know that Volvo considers the Condenser a sub-assembly therefore gives it it's own breakdown under which BOTH parts are listed. I might have seen it eventually... most likely I would have been hit with it when I broke down and went to the dealer because I am tired of sweating! That's why we have this forum! You may not have many posts, but you got some mad skills!! Glad you're on our side!!

Well... There is my lesson for the day!

Thanks Fataqui!!

K "Schooled" S