IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

03 V70 Parking Brake - How much movement ( Answer: None) is OK? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70

03 V70 Parking Brake - How much movement ( Answer: None) is OK?

Post by Botbasher »

Hey Ya'All!!!

Thanks to some deep reading and one silly Ah-Ha moment... I got Sven's (my 03 V70 T5) brakes stopping like champ. Nice & firm with lots of room behind the pedal. Before they would slowly sink and nearly hit the floor which made for some unnerving times sitting in stop and go traffic. I was thinking Master Cyl or worse... so what caused it?? A tiny bit of air in the ABS Module and ONE... just ONE... caliper retaining spring being mis-installed. I noticed it while bleeding the brakes for the 3rd time. What threw me is that the fronts were good.. I just redid those. The rears had tons of meat, so I left them alone... and it was the pass rear that was improperly installed, so I never looked. :oops:

So while I was under the car bleeding them, I noticed that the rear wheels have a couple degrees of rotation ability even with the parking brake fully applied. They stop hard... and I mean with a CLANK hard.. and will not move if rotated, but they move easily till then. In a parking situation, this feels like when you put an Auto in "P" and do not use the E-Brake. The car settles to the Trans Lock... bouncing stupidly. That's what this is like without the bounce. It simply rolls a few inches and stops. Both Forward and Backwards.

I realize that these are drum parking brakes. It's been a lot of years since my VW Drum Brake days, so it's hard for me to remember and not being real familiar with Volvo yet... Just how much play in the wheel is acceptable when the parking brake is set? When applied should there be zero play? Do Volvo Parking Brakes have a bit of slop?

While I'm in here and thinking about it.... I see that there are no adjustment spreaders like in a true shoe brake set-up. Presumably because you can take up the slack in the adjuster at the E-Brake lever. I found a gentleman in Europe somewhere that fitted an adjuster into the set-up. No other mods... just the simple adjuster. Does anyone know what car that came from? I've never see an shoe system that wasn't adjustable at the wheel. Seems odd! :?:

Cheers!

K "broken" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Re: 03 V70 Parking Brake - How much movement is OK?

Post by abscate »

The rear wheel adjusters went away in the P2 models. The bastards (1999-2000) still have both.

The society for redundancy society gave Volvo a plaque for the earlier design, so they eVolvoed to the simpler one.

In Austria, no one uses parking brakes, we are lucky to have them here
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

So will the P80 adjusters fit forward?? There's a couple in the junk yards that would donate themselves!!

So on the question of slop.... How much is OK and how much is too much??

K "adjusted" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

abscate
MVS Moderator

Post by abscate »

Full brake effect between 2 and 5 pawl tooth on brake lever is spec.
image.jpg
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary
abscate
MVS Moderator

Post by abscate »

The shoe hardware and expander on the P2 look completely different than the p80.

I don't see a retrofit being easy , certainly not bolt on.
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary
jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70

Post by jonesg »

No movement or it will fail inspection.
It should hold at 2K rpm in D.
abscate
MVS Moderator

Post by abscate »

MASS DOT is pretty rigorous on inspections. I think in MT, as long as you had a gun rack, it passed.

:-)
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

OK... Let me clarify...

With the E-Brake on, the car moves a couple inches, then stops hard! It will not roll under acceleration. So it's not a question of adjusting them. That was an "also" question that appeared to confuse... I'm sorry.

The base issue is... When I pull the E-Brake, there is movement in the wheel... Like an auto trans bouncing off the lock... Is this normal and if so, what is acceptable? If not, what parts would likely cause this I.e. what parts would I have on hand before opening this can of worms?

It's like the shoes move several degrees before they hit their stops, but they are locked to the hub when this happens. Maybe the shoe seat area or spacer U area is worn allowing them to rotate before something stops it??

I'm just trying to figure out what I might need before digging in.... Or if I even need to!!

Cheers!!

K "prepared" S

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70

Post by jonesg »

Dig in and find out , then get parts. Might make sense to get a brake spring kit, I'm doing mine now,
I broke the brake cable adjusting it. Failed inspection last week due to hand brake.
Quite a week, first the wheel wouldn't come off,then brake disk was stuck on there.
Then I reassembled it all and found the anti rattle spring on the ground after putting the wheel back on.
If you want it done right, do it 5 times.
abscate
MVS Moderator

Post by abscate »

Yeah, you need to dig in and find out what's going wrong in there causing that lock up.
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary