IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

03 V70 Parking Brake - How much movement ( Answer: None) is OK? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70

Re: 03 V70 Parking Brake - How much movement is OK?

Post by Botbasher »

Guys guys.... RFQ!!!

It stops just like a E-Brake should. It has no operational issues. Pull handle... Car doesn't roll.

What it does have is slop equilivent to the slop in an automatic trans before the pawl locks. Is this slop normal or is there something wrong? I'm used to E-Brakes that when applied, the car doesn't move more than the suspension allows. Mine has about 10 degrees worth of movement BEFORE hitting a stop. Clank ..... FWD..... Clank.... REV.... Clank..... FWD..... Clank.... you get the point hopefully.

If I don't need to tear it apart to correct an issue that isn't, then I see no reason to... I have better issues to deal with especially when the E-Brake is otherwise functional. If this is truly an issue I'll be happy to dig into it and see what's wrong. Not knowing how Volvo works their E-Brakes... I'm at the mercy of those that do!!

Cheers,

K "sloppy" S
Last edited by Botbasher on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??
jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70

Post by jonesg »

Something is moving, I would look at the round locating springs , could also be loose brake liner on the shoe. The liner can detach but remain in position whilst sliding back and forth as brake is applied and released. Or ignore it, the car will pass inspection. I don't use my brake from one yr to the next .
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Something is fubar inside.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

jonesg wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:02 pm Something is moving, I would look at the round locating springs , could also be loose brake liner on the shoe. The liner can detach but remain in position whilst sliding back and forth as brake is applied and released. Or ignore it, the car will pass inspection. I don't use my brake from one yr to the next .
The brake is never released.... It's applied.... I lift the car... I grab the rear wheel and I can rotate it about 10 degrees before it clanks to a stop and then I can do the same the other direction!

What are these inspections everyone keeps mentioning?? 8) Cali and WA never inspect cars.. just OBD. NC inspects, but it's more OBD and basic operational (wipers, windshield, tires and lights...). I have German and British friends that have visited and were amazed at the things we can do to our cars without getting into trouble.

Inspections... we don't do no stinkin inspections!!

K "lucky" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

abscate wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:48 pm Something is fubar inside.
OK... now that is my kind of comment!!! :lol: At least now I know it's not normal.

Now to figure out what's going on!! I want to try and find that adjuster that one guy used though. First car was a 1952 Ford... 4 drums... doesn't seem right to have drums without an adjuster!

Thanks!

K "fubar" S

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70

Post by vtl »

abscate wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:58 am MASS DOT is pretty rigorous on inspections. I think in MT, as long as you had a gun rack, it passed.

:-)
All they do is OBD-II scan and check that the fuel door is locked. In Czech Republic, for contrast, you fail if they see any sign of wear in control arm bushings. Inspection takes there about 2 hours, they lift the car in to the air and go all over it.
05 XC70 265k, 16 XC60 45k, 19 Tundra 5k
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

vtl wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:23 am
abscate wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:58 am MASS DOT is pretty rigorous on inspections. I think in MT, as long as you had a gun rack, it passed.

:-)
All they do is OBD-II scan and check that the fuel door is locked. In Czech Republic, for contrast, you fail if they see any sign of wear in control arm bushings. Inspection takes there about 2 hours, they lift the car in to the air and go all over it.
Yeah... MOT in Britain is like that too (20k garages with 50k techs.... Now that's how you stop unemployment!!). I was amazed at cars they'd send to the wreckers because it failed MOT and was just going to be easier to replace than repair. There really isn't much of a dependable used car market in GB. You can sell used cars, but there was a high incidence of it failing it's next MOT due to a cleverly disguised accident that only turned up from under the car!

I hear some other EU countries are like that too. Having lived through my time in Cali, I wish the states would do something similar. Watching cars literally disintegrate as they travel down the road from across the southern border... was always a scary time on the interstates!

I'm covered either way as I have my gun racked in the back under the floor board and the car is in great shape now!! :wink:

Cheers!

K "prepared" S

jonesg

Post by jonesg »

Botbasher wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:40 am I lift the car...

OK now remove the wheel and pull the disk off.
jonesg

Post by jonesg »

Botbasher wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:40 am The brake is never released.... It's applied.... I lift the car... I grab the rear wheel and I can rotate it about 10 degrees before it clanks to a stop and then I can do the same the other direction!

K "lucky" S
Thats confusing, if the front wheels are on the ground your engine is probably not running.
The hand brake is tested with wheels on the ground , running and in gear.
If it passes the test then ignore what its doing with wheels in the air.
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

jonesg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:02 am
Botbasher wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:40 am I lift the car...
OK now remove the wheel and pull the disk off.
Oh, if only it were that quick!!!

I happen to find this while bleeding the brakes.... wheel was still on.... car was just barely off the ground to give my arms a little more room. I grabbed the wheel to move behind it and it rotated. I pulled my arm out quickly as I thought maybe I forgot to set the brake, but nope... it was applied hard. I investigated by rolling the airborne wheel back and forth and when the wheel hits the stop it isn't moving past that. It's like one of those playground steering wheels that you just knew you were strong enough to rotate past the stops if you could just get enough speed between the two points!

When I lower the car it always moves a bit and then stops after it hits this point. If I pull on the handle while the car is rolling, you hear a MASSIVE clank and then feel the drag apply.

My 98 is similar in action, so that's why I am wondering if I have an issue... or if this is just the norm?!?

Ciao!

K "unlucky in pairs?" S