IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

03 V70 Parking Brake - How much movement ( Answer: None) is OK? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70

Re: 03 V70 Parking Brake - How much movement is OK?

Post by vtl »

They all do this. If you take it apart, you'll see why. I even installed adjusting links (https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/XC7 ... ting-Screw), it held it for about a months, and now the slack is back on.

Also, as already stated, it's a very good idea to check for delaminated pads. They do it after 10-12 years.
05 XC70 265k, 16 XC60 45k, 19 Tundra 5k
Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70

Post by Botbasher »

vtl wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:24 am They all do this. If you take it apart, you'll see why. I even installed adjusting links (https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/XC7 ... ting-Screw), it held it for about a months, and now the slack is back on.

Also, as already stated, it's a very good idea to check for delaminated pads. They do it after 10-12 years.
Yeah... that's what I was thinking!!! OK, so I'll get some pads and find some JY adjusters (with all applicable hardware coming home in the bag!! 8) ) and dive in!! Thanks for the sanity check!

So before I get into it... what causes the slack? just wear between the bits? I've done shoes before, but never had them so sloppy and rotate to the degree that these are. If it were my actual brakes (not parking), I'd be upgrading to discs ASAP!

K "needing a new pair of shoes" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??
vtl

Post by vtl »

Botbasher wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:32 amSo before I get into it... what causes the slack? just wear between the bits? I've done shoes before, but never had them so sloppy and rotate to the degree that these are. If it were my actual brakes (not parking), I'd be upgrading to discs ASAP!
The parking brake mechanism raises only one side of shoes, the other one is not touching the drum at all. Add to that allowed horizontal movement of shoe and you have that 10-15 degrees slack.

The idea behind adjusting link is to reduce gap between the other, non-touching end of shoe and the drum, so the contact surface becomes larger and the shoes allow less horizontal movement in the slot, where the spring goes in, but that is not a complete answer to the problem. I have all the new parts in rear brakes, even hardware and springs, and the slack is again here.

Just a lousy design that Volvo did not manage to solve in years after multiple attempts. I use parking brake every day, when parking uphill I first put gearbox in N, raise parking brake lever, slowly release brake pedal then put gearbox in P. This way the g-box is not shocked.
jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70

Post by jonesg »

Botbasher wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:32 am

So before I get into it... what causes the slack? just wear between the bits? I've done shoes before, but never had them so sloppy and rotate to the degree that these are. If it were my actual brakes (not parking), I'd be upgrading to discs ASAP!

I think I figgered this out.
With rear wheels in the air and handbrake applied, the brake disk is locked to the axle, but the axle can rotate (because wheels are in the air).
So what you're experiencing is the normal play in the gear train until encountering the transmission lock pin.
Your ebrake is good.
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

jonesg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm
Botbasher wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:32 am

I think I figgered this out.
With rear wheels in the air and handbrake applied, the brake disk is locked to the axle, but the axle can rotate (because wheels are in the air).
So what you're experiencing is the normal play in the gear train until encountering the transmission lock pin.
Your ebrake is good.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Tell him what he hasn't won today Don Pardo!!!

Has nothing to do with the front wheels.... That was just an example of the level of slop in the E-Brake!!

Thanks for playing!! :lol: :D :lol: :D I appreciate the effort though!!

K "tossing no stones" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

vtl

Post by vtl »

jonesg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm I think I figgered this out.
Your ebrake is good.
Parking shoes are attached to a dust shield, which is attached to a wheel hub, which is indirectly attached to car's chassis. With shoes properly holding the drum (and every other bit in parking brake mechanism working well) there should be no movement.
jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70

Post by jonesg »

vtl wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:14 pm
jonesg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm I think I figgered this out.
Your ebrake is good.
Parking shoes are attached to a dust shield, which is attached to a wheel hub, which is indirectly attached to car's chassis. With shoes properly holding the drum (and every other bit in parking brake mechanism working well) there should be no movement.

As long as the rear wheels are on the ground that is true.
But his rear wheels were in the air.
vtl

Post by vtl »

jonesg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 pm As long as the rear wheels are on the ground that is true.
What does it change?
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

vtl wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:56 am
jonesg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 pm As long as the rear wheels are on the ground that is true.
What does it change?
You beat me to it... had to drive to work! Shucks!! :P

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Re: 03 V70 Parking Brake - How much movement is OK?  Topic is solved

Post by abscate »

My 98 is similar in action, so that's why I am wondering if I have an issue... or if this is just the norm?!?

Ciao!

K "unlucky in pairs?" S
You are asking here if you have issues??

:D :D :D

My 1999 and 2005 both lock up with no rotation after I apply the hand-emergency-e-parking brake FWIW.

Bring it up to ALB and we will get you setup and Ill throw in a free NY inspection - they actually have to put the car up and remove a wheel here.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary