IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

03 V70 Parking Brake - How much movement ( Answer: None) is OK? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70

Re: 03 V70 Parking Brake - How much movement is OK?

Post by jonesg »

vtl wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:56 am
jonesg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 pm As long as the rear wheels are on the ground that is true.
But his rear wheels were in the air.
What does it change?
When the wheels are off the ground you can feel the slack in the drive train.
With wheels on the ground you can't.
Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70

Post by Botbasher »

abscate wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:10 am
My 98 is similar in action, so that's why I am wondering if I have an issue... or if this is just the norm?!?

Ciao!

K "unlucky in pairs?" S
You are asking here if you have issues??

:D :D :D

My 1999 and 2005 both lock up with no rotation after I apply the hand-emergency-e-parking brake FWIW.

Bring it up to ALB and we will get you setup and Ill throw in a free NY inspection - they actually have to put the car up and remove a wheel here.
Almost be worth the trip just to say HI!!! You guys and your inspections..... :lol:

Thanks!! It'll probably be next week before I can dig into it, but at least I know I'm looking for something now!

Cheers!

K "inspected" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??
jonesg

Post by jonesg »

Botbasher wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:02 am
Thanks!! It'll probably be next week before I can dig into it, but at least I know I'm looking for something now!

Cheers!

K "inspected" S
Heres the threaded ebrake adjuster thingy you were looking for. $10.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... 0-30793437
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

jonesg wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:53 pm Heres the threaded ebrake adjuster thingy you were looking for. $10.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... 0-30793437
Actually, more like $20.... VTL gave me that part on top of page 3, but you need this part too! https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... 0-30793438

Appreciate it though!!!

K "informed" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

Teddy1975
Year and Model: 850 1996

Post by Teddy1975 »

jonesg wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:15 am
jonesg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 pm As long as the rear wheels are on the ground that is true.
But his rear wheels were in the air.
What does it change?
Would "sort of" make sense if the V70 is rear wheel drive, which it isn't, unless it's an XC70.

There shouldn't be much movement of either rear wheel at all with the parking brake engaged, wheels on ground or in the air, certainly nothing like what KS describes is happening.
Current: 850 2.0L N/A, 4 door 1996 manual
Previous: 740 2.3L N/A, 5 door 1992 manual, and S70 2.5T 1999 manual
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

Teddy1975 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:27 pm There shouldn't be much movement of either rear wheel at all with the parking brake engaged, wheels on ground or in the air, certainly nothing like what KS describes is happening.
That was my thought.... I'll grab a quick clip of it in action and quell any confusion in the gallery!!

KS

jonesg

Post by jonesg »

Teddy1975 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:27 pm
jonesg wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:15 am
What does it change?
Would "sort of" make sense if the V70 is rear wheel drive, which it isn't, unless it's an XC70.

There shouldn't be much movement of either rear wheel at all with the parking brake engaged, wheels on ground or in the air, certainly nothing like what KS describes is happening.
There is end gap movement of the brake shoes until they contact the block (part of the steel knuckle itself) that keeps them from rotating,
that translates to movement out at the tire.
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

jonesg wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 am There is end gap movement of the brake shoes until they contact the block (part of the steel knuckle itself) that keeps them from rotating,
Jonesg... the keyword there being "gap"... what kind of gap is normal. A couple of thousandths... or a couple of tenths. That kind of difference can make for a wild ride!!

I used the transmission slop as a common example of car movement upon parking. I don't believe that parking brakes should allow a similar amount of movement and from the responses, my presumptions are correct. I would expect a little thunk, thunk from the shoes as they settle on the stops, but to get enough movement into then to sound like a dropped wrench seemed a bit excessive!

I'll open them up in a few days and see just what the heck is going on. I'll post up the findings so everyone that's chimed in can see if they won their bets!

Ciao!

KS

jonesg

Post by jonesg »

Botbasher wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:51 am
jonesg wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 am There is end gap movement of the brake shoes until they contact the block (part of the steel knuckle itself) that keeps them from rotating,
Jonesg... the keyword there being "gap"... what kind of gap is normal. A couple of thousandths... or a couple of tenths. That kind of difference can make for a wild ride!!

I used the transmission slop as a common example of car movement upon parking. I don't believe that parking brakes should allow a similar amount of movement and from the responses, my presumptions are correct. I would expect a little thunk, thunk from the shoes as they settle on the stops, but to get enough movement into then to sound like a dropped wrench seemed a bit excessive!

I'll open them up in a few days and see just what the heck is going on. I'll post up the findings so everyone that's chimed in can see if they won their bets!

Ciao!

KS
I think the shoe end gap was about 1/8th inch, OEM vs aftermkt shoes had a slight difference in shoe backing length.
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher »

jonesg wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:14 pm I think the shoe end gap was about 1/8th inch, OEM vs aftermkt shoes had a slight difference in shoe backing length.
Dia of the wheel might make this a possibility. I'll let you know when I find out!!

KS