IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Front Sway Bar Bushings...creaking noise

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

hu5ker555
Year and Model: 2008 S60, 2005 S80
United States of America
hu5ker555

Front Sway Bar Bushings...creaking noise

Post by hu5ker555 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:47 am

2008 S60 2.5T 168k

In cold weather, the front end creaks when going over bumps. I'm pretty sure it's the front sway bar bushings. I know these are fused to the bar, so not replaceable without swapping out the entire sway bar.

Last winter, I sprayed them down liberally with AT205 re-seal and it seemed to help just a little.

Any other suggestions? It seems like a bear to replace. I don't have a lift...just standard jack and jack stands.

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
Botbasher

Re: Front Sway Bar Bushings...creaking noise

Post by Botbasher » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Dry Graphite spray usually does the job for me on those hard to replace bushings. Use a straw and make sure you cover anything you don't want it on as it sticks to everything and only smears coming off!!!

There are bushing replacements out there as I have seen DIYs with it happening... something about 23mm over the 24mm spec rings a bell. If you have a good 4x4 shop close, you should be able to find an option that'll fit the need as they have almost every size on the shelf!

Please report back what you find if you go the replacement direction as I have a mystery clunk that I cannot pin down but I think it is those bushings as well. The car sat for many years and now driving it has meant the settling parts are out of spec!

Cheers!!

K "dry rot" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??