IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Clicking Noise When Foot Goes On/Off Accelerator

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

rolvo
Year and Model: 2006 V70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
rolvo

Clicking Noise When Foot Goes On/Off Accelerator

Post by rolvo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:00 pm

2006 V70 2.5T Auto Transmission, 83K miles

Lately I've noticed a very distinct click noise when slowing to a stop just after I take my foot off the accelerator to move to the brake. After coming to a stop when I begin to accelerate again, I hear this same click when I first hit the gas pedal. It is repeatable every time, and occurs when traveling in a straight line. It seems to be much more noticeable when moving at slow speeds, such as at stop signs and traffic lights. I think I can even feel this through the body of the car when it happens, but perhaps that is my imagination. I don't notice it at higher speeds.

My first thought was perhaps some sort of slop in the axle or CV joint. When I saw the price of the Volvo assemblies I figured I better make sure what this problem is. Thoughts?

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70
United States of America
Botbasher

Re: Clicking Noise When Foot Goes On/Off Accelerator

Post by Botbasher » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:28 am

Upper or lower motor mounts would be a 1st suspect over CVs. Does it happen in rev as well?

Next suspect would be suspension. Lower arms moving under load and resetting on coast. Upper strut mounts possibly. Not as much movement at speed with these faults... Less torque applied generally (unless passing).

Can you move the mounts by hand? Try having someone watch the motor move as you shift it into fwd/rev. Does it move excessively and bang around? Watch the suspension too.

CVs usually click under turning loads where the angles force a lot of movement and torque causes binding.

Cheers!

K "mounted" S

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??

rolvo
United States of America
rolvo

Post by rolvo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks Botbasher!

I wasn't able to repro in reverse, but I only tested it twice due to not having a convenient spot to drive backwards far/fast enough. The sound is very similar to the sound made when I shift from Park into Drive/Reverse, so it seems like the engagement/shifting of the transmission is triggering this. Perhaps this is causing the engine to move in its mounts. Another test I did was to let off the gas at around 25 mph and just slow to a stop. When I do this I don't hear the click when I left off the gas as I do at slow speeds, however when the car is just about to come to a stop I hear the same click. I'm wondering if this is when the auto transmission is deciding to downshift to it's lowest gear/neutral? At about 10 mph I can cause the click to happen repeatedly by very lightly feathering the accelerator on/off. It seems like when the tranny decides it's time to work this happens. Hoping it isn't anything inside the transmission.

I will try and have someone shift it for me while I watch the mounts. In any event I ordered up a set of mounts. Probably worth doing anyways after 11 years.

volvovillian
Year and Model: 2005 V70 Non Turbo
United States of America
volvovillian

Post by volvovillian » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:28 am

Must be common I get this too with my 2005 V70 Non Turbo.

It's happened since around the same mileage you have.

Ours also does it only low speeds like usually in traffic around 25MPH lightly getting on and off the gas.

I replaced upper and lower torque rod mounts with OEM mounts thinking this would fix.
I have changed the trans fluid multiple times with correct fluid.
I had the dealer change the lower side engine mount thinking that was it.
It has new OEM suspension (new mounts, struts, control arm bushings)
The engine runs smooth and drives great, transmission shifts great.
Sometimes I thought it was improved or gone but would happen again.

I have been convinced it has been play in the CV axle and the CV boot was leaking grease at one time.
However dealer claims they checked CV axles and there is no play.

Lately it has seemed a little better (not sure it dealer tightened something) but still does it.

The only other thing I could think is transmission but shifts great.

I thought I read something somewhere about a TSB related to some play where the shaft goes into the transmission that can cause this noise and there was some fix where dealers coat it with something like loctite to get rid of the noise. I am not sure if I'm remembering this correctly or if this even applies to our vehicles.

Since dealer claims they inspected CV axles and find no play and I've done the mounts and fluid I guess I'll just leave it alone since I'm not sure what it could be. It's strange because my 2005 S60T has about the same mileage and has never done this. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

It wouldn't hurt to start with upper and lower torque rod mount since they don't last long. I've found myself replacing these probably 3 times since I have owned my V70 and S60T.

Hopefully this will fix your problem or at least improve it!

Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70
United States of America
Botbasher

Post by Botbasher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:53 am

CV and axle play is easy to check. Raise one side of the car off the ground leaving the other wheel locked on the ground. I'd do this with the wheel off... Take the rotor and axle and move them opposite. You should hear the slack take up if there is a noticeable amount of play.

You can keep trying this on each spline set and CV up to and through the trans diff, but don't confuse gear train slop inside the trans for a bad spline though.

Something with enough play to notice under light accel should be detectable by hand.

K "sloppy" S

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??

rolvo
United States of America
rolvo

Post by rolvo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 am

I'll check out the CV/axle play per above.

I was reading a bunch of posts on the "axle clicking" issue that Volvo issued a TSB for. It sounds identical to what I am experiencing. However, it wasn't clear to me if the Loctite goes on the threads of the axle bolt or on the splines themselves inside the hub. I did read an article from IPD where they said putting grease or antiseize on the splines can help, however I wasn't sure if this was just a test to prove the issue, or meant to be a fix. I can't see how that would last.

https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10185/a ... -s-a-thing

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:37 am

Aftermarket CV axles are sort of notorious for developing slop on the inboard/inner joint at the transaxle. If yours have ever been replaced/not OEM this is quite likely. I Tried a NAPA max drive new--it was ok for about 20 miles until I stomped on the accelerator from a dead stop-- one time was all it took.

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 pm

- I think I found the answer to this notorious "Click when Foot Goes On/Off Accelerator", which is very common in the S60, V70 series. There are literally hundreds of these threads on this particular issue.

- My 2004 V70 with 104K has this clicking issue.

- While doing brake work on my 2004 V70 today, I happened to check the Axle by moving it along its axis (sliding the shaft toward and away from the engine), I hear a distinct click. This is NOT radial play (which happens when you have a bad CV Joint)..

- So this Axial Play (about 1/2 inch) is normal from factory. The problem is when the grease dries out, when you accelerate/decelerate, the axle shaft moves either inward and outward, creating the "click" sound.

- I think the solution is simple, if and whenever you replace the CV Boots (best is to do both boots at the same time), clean the CV Joints and repack with new grease, the clicking sound should go away.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Sun May 20, 2018 10:42 pm

cn90 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 pm
- I think I found the answer to this notorious "Click when Foot Goes On/Off Accelerator", which is very common in the S60, V70 series. There are literally hundreds of these threads on this particular issue.

- My 2004 V70 with 104K has this clicking issue.

- While doing brake work on my 2004 V70 today, I happened to check the Axle by moving it along its axis (sliding the shaft toward and away from the engine), I hear a distinct click. This is NOT radial play (which happens when you have a bad CV Joint)..

- So this Axial Play (about 1/2 inch) is normal from factory. The problem is when the grease dries out, when you accelerate/decelerate, the axle shaft moves either inward and outward, creating the "click" sound.

- I think the solution is simple, if and whenever you replace the CV Boots (best is to do both boots at the same time), clean the CV Joints and repack with new grease, the clicking sound should go away.
Axle ping !
https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10185/a ... -s-a-thing

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:58 pm

- Now I wonder if I should grease the CV Joints "in situ".

- This is what I am thinking:
* Remove the wheel.
* Jack stand under subframe.
* Leave the axle in place.
* Undo the larger Oetiker clamps on both Inner and Outer joints.
* Add grease.
- Re-install the Oetiker clamps (using new clamps).

Has anyone done this (adding grease in situ)?

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+