IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2001 AWD NOT WORKING

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

darylrobert
Year and Model: V70 240 740t xc70
Has thanked: 0
Australia
darylrobert

2001 AWD NOT WORKING

Post by darylrobert » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:56 pm

AWD questions seem to be popular complaints on the volvo, i jacked up the front wheels of my car 2001 XC70, front wheels spins and i get abs warning but no action from rear wheels. i can confirm there is a driveshaft so in my case its likely the angle gear.

IS it worth fixing, how much power loss should i expect FWD vs AWD??

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: 2001 AWD NOT WORKING

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 pm

I don't necessarily agree your AWD is not working. What you describe maybe perfectly normal. Can you provide more details? Is it making any noise? Is the ABS light on always or when lifted?

The 2001 is pretty much purely mechanical, although it is not as good an AWD system as the newer ones, I feel it is more robust.

You can pull the driveshaft and have no issues with a 2001.

darylrobert
Year and Model: V70 240 740t xc70
Australia
darylrobert

Post by darylrobert » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:01 am

It makes a faint clicking noise, abs light doesnt normally come on. Also jacked up side wheels and put into 1st gear (engine off) and rear wheel spun freely...shouldnt it be locked like the front wheel?

I want awd to work thats why i bought the car

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:13 pm

In your original post - I could not tell where your tranny was positioned so I was not willing to point at the angle gear. As to ABS it was unclear if the car was lifted - I got codes when the wheels were off the ground. Sounds most likely like your collar is the issue.

Check to see if the prop shaft rotates without noise and freely. It should not spin as it is tied to the transmission via the angle gear unless the front wheels also spin. So if the front wheels shouldn't rotate , like if they were on the ground and the rear wheels are lifted and you can get the drive shaft to spin - you have a problem. You should hear the noise in the angle gear tranny area.

The noise you are hearing may be the spline collar which is the main wear point and the teeth may have rusted and sheared. Plenty of stuff on the issue if you look. It can be fixed and is not a part of the angle gear. It ties the transmission to the angle gear which then spins the rear wheels. If the teeth are sheared it cannot turn the angle gear. I bought one years ago thinking I would replace it as preventive maintenance when my angle gear blew, but my collar was rust free and clean. It was around $30 - still sitting in the box. It appears they make a seal kit with the collar and related seals which is more. You are down under so parts maybe hard to come by where you are located.

You can pull the prop shaft and drive the car as FWD with no issue most likely. I say most likely because I don't know the condition of the collar and seals. If you have metal all over I imagine it could cut up some seals and cause issues with your tranny leaking or getting contaminated and/or angle gear. It has been too long since I saw the set up and how everything is isolated and sealed. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will pitch in. I have not heard of this, but I suppose it is possible. You cannot pull the angle gear and drive it without some modifications. Again, you can pull just the drive shaft, gain mpg, and drive it FWD until parts arrive.

Were it me I would remove the angle gear and see what you have, but first source the collar in the event it is bad. It is a beast for many to remove the collar. Read up on all the techniques and expect and prepare for the worse. While it is out replace any and all seals you can. You can always pull the angle gear - look at what is going on - make your parts list - and then reinstall the angle gear until the collar arrives. Angle gear removal isn't that bad, but it is a fair amount of work that is best not repeated.