IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Timing marks '04 V70 - viewing

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Faust
Year and Model: V70 2004
United States of America
Faust

Timing marks '04 V70 - viewing

Post by Faust » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:29 pm

I have reason to think that my engine has "jumped time". Is there any way to get a look at the timing mark on the crank pulley without pulling the accessory belt and lower cover? I just want to check that all the timing marks line up, or do not.
2004 V70
1964 Plymouth Convert (small block)
1967 Dodge Coronet (big block)

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Timing marks '04 V70 - viewing

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:37 pm

The crank pulley/harmonic balancer should have a mark - it is really hard to see. You may able to put a mirror or camera down there and look from behind and see the bump on the crank shaft gear. Look up pictures on the internet to see what you are looking for.

The other option is to search for your specific engine on the internet and look at pictures of the crank shaft gear - taking note of the alignment dowel that is to the right of the timing mark. Determine how far away that mark is by counting teeth (these you can see from above) and then going off the dowel location. At the very least you will be pretty darn close.

Note - caveat - not all Volvo engines are the same with respect to that dowel. Check the internet for your engine. I noted when confirming my suggestion that the 2.4 in an S40 was over 1/4 a rotation to the right, while the 2.4T and 2.5T were just a couple teeth. So assuming you have figured this out to your satisfaction - here is what I would do.

I would start by putting your cam marks in alignment - look at said dowel - it should be up. If it is down either you are 180 degrees off or you jumped many many teeth. Assuming it is down and you jumped only a tooth, rotate until the dowel is just around top center and the cams are timed. From here start looking carefully for the lower mark, a mark on the crank shaft gear that some Volvos appear to have, different tooth pattern that some Volvos have - or try again to use a mirror to find the bump. I have had no luck trying to differentiate the teeth for alignment. Again confirm what your dowel relationship is before assuming anything is off. My search and experience is the 2.5T has the dowel at 12:30 or so.

Lastly, I believe you can just take off the accessory belt or pull it aside as needed and pull the harmonic balancer via the wheel well access panel. That is the for sure method if you cannot find the mark via the other ways mentioned above. I just did this on a 2.9T which was similar to the Xc70s I did in the past.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:05 am

I did not have to remove the crank pulley to change the T-belt or see the timing marks.
Remove the RF wheel and open the access flap (part of the fender liner). Get the socket (30mm?) for the crank pulley.
Relocate the coolant and P/S reservoirs. Relieve the accessory belt tension and remove it if it prevents removal of the T-belt cover.
The T-belt cover is held in place by one small (10mm?) bolt.

The cams' timing marks are faint scratches and align with notches in the plastic top cover.
They don't land at 12 o'clock positions. They're at 11 (exhaust) and 1 (intake), so to speak.
I needed a bright flashlight and a magnifying glass to spot them.
This is not a place for grandpa's sloppy thumbprint of white paint. Use a fine line of paint to highlight them as they vanish with viewing angle.

As you turn the engine "in the neighborhood" of correct alignment keep an eye on the crankshaft's sprocket so you can detect its timing mark. I describe the mark as a tooth which has had its peak cut down. You should have no problem as the sprocket's teeth are uniform and the "timing mark tooth" is the oddball. It lands at 12 o'clock.

Obviously, when you're in there, examine the tensioner and idler for "grease sweating" and the belt itself for cracks.

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:58 am

Timing mark on my crank gear was actually 2 marks, one on top of each tooth , so the timing position is located between the two teeth. Its been a few months but thats what I recall.

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 pm

I agree with everything the other posters have said, but the OP wanted to check timing without taking off much more than the upper timing cover which is two clips and two torx bolts.

The best and easiest approach is as the other posters describe. Take off or move aside as needed the accessory belt, remove wheel, remove 10mm plastic nut securing the access panel and fold back, remove harmonic balancer and all is there to see. You may be able to find the different teeth with the notch if your crank sprocket has them - not all do from my experience, admittedly limited.

I tried to answer your question - removing as little as possible - in my mind it is more work unless you find those marks.

One question for other poster - are you saying you replaced the belt without taking off the harmonic balancer? I heard this can be done, but it is tricky to get the belt in. What was your experience?

Faust
United States of America
Faust

Post by Faust » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:56 pm

You're correct, I wanted minimal effort in order to check the belt had not slipped. I "think" my timing could be off because that is the last thing I can think of to explain "won't start" while seeming to fire inappropriately when turning the starter. It could be that I am misreading the symptoms. The problem started when I ran it with one spark plug out. It hasn't started since. It was suggested that the erratic operation might have caused the belt to jump. When I attempt to start it, I can occasionally hear one cylinder fire. This must be at the wrong time, you don't hear cylinders fire when it is running normally. I have no other reason to think alignment might have been lost.

All of this started because an apparent head gasket failure. I am just trying to see if the car is dead or alive, no intention to replace head gasket.
2004 V70

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Removing a wheel, 2 10mm speed nuts and folding a flap, temporarily relocating 2 reservoirs without any hose disconnection, prying a tensioner to slacken an aux belt to unhoop it then removing 1 10mm bolt IS minimal effort. You have to see the faces of the cam sprockets and look down onto the crank sprocket's teeth.

To S.H.: After the timing belt cover comes off there's a small piece remaining under the crank sprocket, say 9 to 3 o'clock. It's held on by 2 10mm bolts. A stout pin will be revealed at the sprocket's 6 o'clock position. The timing belt goes on easily-no tools, no forcing. As I recall you need to block up the engine and remove the lower-front motor mount. It has 2 bolts to the frame and two into the block-all very apparent. Proceed up the right side keeping the belt taught.

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Georgeandkira wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:50 pm

To S.H.: After the timing belt cover comes off there's a small piece remaining under the crank sprocket, say 9 to 3 o'clock. It's held on by 2 10mm bolts. A stout pin will be revealed at the sprocket's 6 o'clock position. The timing belt goes on easily-no tools, no forcing. As I recall you need to block up the engine and remove the lower-front motor mount. It has 2 bolts to the frame and two into the block-all very apparent. Proceed up the right side keeping the belt taught.
Thats what I did, only the diesels require removal of the crank pulley or balancer.
I didn't remove or touch the lower motor mount.

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 pm

I was curious so I looked up the instructions on VIDA for my old 02 XC70. VIDA has one remove the harmonic balancer to properly see the timing mark. It is four bolts and easy to get off. With an impact wrench (mine is electric - 2 minutes).

I suppose each to their own tricks.

Regardless - you have options now. Me - move tensioner belt, upper timing cover, remove wheel and harmonic balancer and check your timing. As you are not taking anything else off at this point you will have your answer in 30 minutes.

If you want make a mark you can see for future reference.

You did not answer if the video was yours. If it is you have what sounds like a compression issue.

Check timing and do a compression test and report back. That will tell you if you have bent valves and/or jumped timing.

Faust
United States of America
Faust

Post by Faust » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:35 am

You did not answer if the video was yours.

Video?? No.
2004 V70