IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

DIM Failure? 2009 S60 2.5T ABS & Brake Failure Stop Safely.... BCM CEM BPP code

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

yagger
Year and Model: S60 2005 2,5T

Re: DIM Failure? 2009 S60 2.5T ABS & Brake Failure Stop Safely....

Post by yagger »

Soloracer, most likely you have problem with corrosion contacts of connector on top side of CEM. You should check it first.
mnmk wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:19 am Same problem on my 2004 V70. Maybe a CEM or DIM issue.
in your case need get additional info about problem. Can you explain how start problem? How are looks symptoms?
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Post by mrbrian200 »

Soloracer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 am I have an 03 V70. I will swap the two sensors and see if the problem goes away. According to an on-line retailer, both cars have the same replacement part number.
Yes same PN for this between the '03 V70 and the '09 S60. You're in luck! In the V70 a bad BPPS will likely just result in the obvious symptoms being cruise control not working with a general 'service engine system' with a lit up triangle, although other systems may be affected, warnings for them aren't necessarily displayed on an '03.

The V70 may not pick up that the sensor is bad right away depending how wonked the sensor is-- on my S60 the DTC didn't appear all the time right at first and would sometimes clear after turning the car off, then not always return right away until which time the cruise would function again.

The circlip/large snap ring can seem a bit fussy if you've never changed one of these before as access around the area is a bit tight/awkward. Be patient and try not to bend them since you'll be reusing at least one.
Soloracer
Year and Model: V70 S60R S60 2.5

Post by Soloracer »

I swapped the two sensors being careful with the O-Ring. Not difficult but removing the upper engine TQ mount strut bar would have given some extra room to install and remove the spring clip. Anyway, no apparent change in either car after a 3 mile test drive. So I have the negative battery terminal off the S60 to see if the issue goes away upon startup and / or returns.
Erik
2004 V70 2.4
2005 S60 R 6 speed
2009 S60 2.5T
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 »

If after the battery cable disconnect/reset nothing changes then the next step would probably be to check that reference voltages to various sensors associated with these systems is present/stable, as well as various ground connections.

Since the cruise control ceases to function absent of the BPP sensor, and I'm not aware of anything else which would specifically disable the cruise except the transmission output sensor/VSS (you stated your speedometer is working) I would start with the BPP sensor since we have a Specific DTC for it.
You should see steady 5v between pin 1+2, and between 1+chassis ground). Pin 3 is the sensor return. You noted having a diagnostic tool: ideally after verifying reference/ground you can look at live data---depress the brake pedal slowly while watching the sensor data and look for anything unusual, such as the reading not returning to zero when you release the pedal, or not coming up from zero or erratic fluctuations as you press the pedal.
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 »

If you see problems with the VREF, ground or the sensor readings via the diag tool look for a broken wire or corroded terminal - most likely it would be at/inside the pigtail or in that 8 or so inch stretch of wire after it comes out of the hard plastic conduit across to the sensor, or at the BCM: Try unplugging, cleaning, and reseating the electrical connector on the brake control/ABS module. The three wires for the BPP sensor run directly to it at pins 3, 5, and 7. While disconnected you can also check continuity across these three wires to the BPP sensor. Do this with the battery disconnected. I would recommend watching the BCM removal/install video if you haven't removed a BCM before:

If the wiring and sensor are ruled out as an issue I might suspect an internal problem with the BCM. But you'll want to check with others who might better know if BCMs have been known to drop the BPP sensor data if/when they go bad or not. Seems Xemodex forum area would probably be the place to ask that.

There are no junction/wire splices between the position sensor and the BCM connector: the wire colors will be the same on both ends.
Soloracer

Post by Soloracer »

Thank you all for the assistance.

I disconnected the battery another time. I accessed the CEM and removed the two (2) connectors at the top of the CEM. The connectors were clean and the connections / pins were good condition with no signs of corrosion. The cover gasket was tight and there were no signs of water intrusion.

mrbrian200 - can you provide me with the pin-out identification for the BPP plug? There are two on the left and one centered between them to the right. I'll work on it tomorrow confirming voltage to the plug.

After reviewing the answers in this post and reviewing other posts regarding the BCM failures, it appears highly likely my S60 has a faulty BCM. But still checking the plug tomorrow.
Erik
2004 V70 2.4
2005 S60 R 6 speed
2009 S60 2.5T
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 »

I can't seem to come across a graphic showing the pinout for the BCM connector for the '09. However, watching the video link in the previous post once you've released the BCM connector you can easily see the wire colors. Look for the same color/gauge wires that you see at the position sensor. Wire colors and pinout/position might change from year to year -- on yours it may not be pins 3-5-7 along the same row. If the battery is disconnected there should be no harm identifying the three wires with an ohmmeter by testing one wire at a time between the sensor connector and most likely candidate(s) at the BCM by looking for the same color wires.
Soloracer

Post by Soloracer »

Saturday 8/19/2017 morning update

I confirmed the BPP pinout, well enough to test. Pin 3 was labeled so I left it alone. Between the other two BPP pins (pin #1 & pin #2) my el-cheapo meter registered ~ 5 volts. Between what I assume is pin #1 and ground was also ~ 5V.

With the battery disconnected yet another time, I removed the BCM which wasn't difficult task using the procedure in the video mrbrian200 posted above. I confirmed the continuity between pin #3 of the BPP and the BCM plug after it was disconnected. I found no corrosion on the plug or the BCM connector contacts. I sprayed them down with electrical contact cleaner anyway for good measure.

After reassembly, I started the car and BINGO - the DIM had the now usual array of brake messages.

I put the 2003 V70 code reader on it and the BPP code as before was present. I erased the code and restarted the car. The brake messages and lights were still on.

Unless anyone can shed some additional information - I am assuming the BCM is faulty.

I screwed up and did not take a picture of my BCM back side with the part number. From what I have seen, there is a DSTC BCM and the more common STC BCM which is readily available and not too expensive for new or used units.

Does anyone know of what the ABS Controller or BCM Part Number is for an '09 S60 with DSTC? I would like to find a used BCM so I can take the existing unit and send it away for rebuild and still be able to drive the car. It drives fine. I am assuming I can drive the car in its current state without damaging anything else but it would not have ABS, DTSC, cruise control, or working odometer (that baffles me on why the odometer and trips would not function properly).

Thanks!
Erik
2004 V70 2.4
2005 S60 R 6 speed
2009 S60 2.5T
Soloracer

Post by Soloracer »

OK - I used a mirror and recorded the number off the BCM
Volvo PN 30793445 which boxes well with what I have found on the net for DSTC and STS vehicles.

If I buy a used one - does the car need to go to the dealer for programming? I have read where some do and other do no and frankly - it is confusing.
Erik
2004 V70 2.4
2005 S60 R 6 speed
2009 S60 2.5T
mrbrian200

Re: DIM Failure? 2009 S60 2.5T ABS & Brake Failure Stop Safely.... BCM CEM BPP code

Post by mrbrian200 »

A used one should absolutely be plugged in/verified by someone who specifically knows which software versions are appropriate for your car. Unless the BCM came from a vehicle equipped with exact same option packages with various modules updated/running the exact same software packages, the ABS/Traction/ECU systems which work together to accomplish 'goals' may not work properly with a BCM effectively running a 'random' software package or update version. This might result in potentially unsafe behavior under varying conditions.