IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Odd-ish occurrence with advice

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Odd-ish occurrence with advice

Post by Georgeandkira » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 am

1) I got a brake light warning in my lower left DIM window. 'Twas the drivers side bulb. It was black. It ohm checked OK but a light tap broke the filament completely free.

2) I installed a non-Volvo 1156 bulb from my stash (sacrilege, I know) after applying silicone grease to the base. Done.

3) Next day the other side went out causing a repeat of the same message.
Here the bulb was good but one of the contacts which the socket makes with the fixture housing was blackened, impeding the twist out function.

4) I "ohm matched" another 1156 from my stash and after cleaning off the contact burn from BOTH surfaces (socket and fixture) I applied silicone grease and buttoned up this odd chore.

5) The burning on the fixtures contact prevented the otherwise easy installation. I had to carefully scrape with a scalpel to smooth it.
The sockets contact was dirty but not melted or scorched.

6) I conclude that it behooves all of us to apply silicone or dielectric grease to these contacts, not just the bulbs bases.
This is the point of this post.

It ain't just light bulbs with these *@^% modern cars.