IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? šŸ¤”
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

01 S60 PCV hose elimination

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

cmyers
Year and Model: 2001 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
cmyers

01 S60 PCV hose elimination

Post by cmyers » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:13 pm

I am new here and would like to thank all for the information on this site. I am in the process of doing a PCV service on my mother's S60 with 190K miles. The car was smoking horribly when it was stopped at a light or sign, so much that you could almost not see the back of the car. First time working on a Volvo. Hope this will solve the smoking problem. The engine ports, after taking the pcv box, flame trap? off were plugged with crud. I cleaned both out and with some Blaster and a piece of wire was able to get the desired bubbling sound. I also had to clean out the banjo fitting that bolts under the intake as that was plugged as well.
I was wondering if the banjo fitting under the intake could be swapped with the banjo coolant fitting on the end of the block thereby increasing the port size going to the intake. The coolant line coming from the thermostat and the port on the end of the block would then get plugged. Seems like that would get rid of some of the congestion of hoses and lines and increase the amount of gasses going back into the intake. Also would eliminate the contortions you have to go though to get the dreaded 17 mm bolt out from under the intake.
I am still in the process of putting it all back together. Thanks again for the detailed instructions and posts for guiding me through this job.