IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Replacing brake lines (flares)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

leapdragon
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
leapdragon

Replacing brake lines (flares)

Post by leapdragon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi all,

So I am down to brakes, which I hate working on, but they're one of the last "do it pre-emptively" things on the 2002 V70 XC I bought earlier this year. There are a couple cracks in the lines, and the fluid looks to never have been changed (has the appearance of old coffee, even though the car is stopping fine).

So I started with the idea that I'd replace the flex lines first, front and rear. And I was determined to not damage the flare nuts. Well... that was a joke. PB blaster, torch heat, patience, $$ spent on high-end flare nut wrenches and an acute angled nut-unlocker vice grip... And I ended up getting nowhere and rounding the first one off anyway—after 16 hours of battle on a single nut over the last two days. Started with "I am going to be patient and get four of these loosened without damage" to by the end "I hate you, you stinking nut, and I will eventually kill your siblings, too, once I finally get you off, whenever that is."

So now I have a bubble flare kit coming. My question:

Is there any reason to even give a hang about the three remaining nuts? My inclination is to cut right to the chase and just saw each line right off and re-flare them, without bother trying to loosen first. Then, just violently wrench them off with counter-held vice grips to get them out of the bracket. I figure I could get all four done in an afternoon that way and if I'm just going to lose anyway.... ... But maybe there's a "don't be an idiot" reason to not just saw+re-flare them all and not even bother with the nuts?

I feel like it would be a huge time-saver, but I don't want to do anything dumb.

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Re: Replacing brake lines (flares)

Post by jonesg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:14 am

That's what I do. Unless they're newish they rarely loosen for me. I replace with Nickle copper lines , much easier to work with.
Ni/cop doesn't rust out like steel.

The small hand held flare tool is much easier to use than the beam type. I'll see if I can find the youtube vid.
Last edited by jonesg on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

jonesg
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:18 am

This one, $20, it's the cats meow.

jonesg
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:24 am

Duplicate post.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:47 am

I replaced the front flexibles on my 2003 and the nuts went reasonably easy.and it's a canadian car - lots of salt here. Used an adjustable wrech and a locking pliers. But you never know. The thing I hated is when I couldn't get the new flexible started at the caliper - iit has a very fine thread, and I was leaking fluid. Have a 2qt bottle and an eye on the reservoir, if air gets into the abs unit, only the main dealer can burp it.

Cookie-the-Swede
Year and Model: 2003 S60 2.5T AWD
United States of America
Cookie-the-Swede

Post by Cookie-the-Swede » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:33 pm

I just replaced all four of the flexible brake lines on my S60 last year. I didn't use a flare wrench and don't remember it being an issue at all.

jonesg
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:19 am

I think this is about the poster with rounded off flare nuts.