IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Resetting SRS Airbag light after DIM repair and question about dealing with dealership

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

122Skidoo
Year and Model: 2002 XC70
United States of America
122Skidoo

Resetting SRS Airbag light after DIM repair and question about dealing with dealership

Post by 122Skidoo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:29 am

I have read these forum many times finding answers for issues with my used 2002 Volvo XC, but this is my first post so I wanted to first say thanks to all for sharing your knowledge! I am not mechanically inclined at all but have used the info here to troubleshoot over the past 6 years I've owned the car and it has been most helpful.

Recently my dash went dark, and it would come back on if I twisted the trip odo but the SRS airbag light stayed on. After searching here, I determined it was a faulty DIM, so I took it to the dealership, who charged me $140 in diagnostic to tell me what I already knew. They quoted $1750 to replace and update software, informing me only they could do the software update. My Dad is very mechanically inclined but has health issues, so he took it to a local shop where he has known the owner for 40 years. They found a used dash for $225 and put it in for $160, but the dealership had to update the software for another $226. The local shop made an appointment with the dealership, telling the service person at that time the DIM was used. I read here others had that done with a used DIM though the mileage would keep the "donor" mileage. I dropped the car off at the dealer only to have them tell me the next day that they would not program a used DIM. Ultimately, the auto shop found a place down the street that could repair the existing DIM (only $199!). All is working great however the SRS Airbag light is still on. I have 2 questions:

1) Is that OK that the dealer refused to update the software in the used DIM? Others have mentioned they have had this done.
2) Is there any possible way to find a place that will reset the SRS Airbag light other than the dealership? Are there shops that have the DICE tool that I could go to.

I am in the Milwaukee area and his is the only dealership for quite a ways, they own multiple Volvo dealerships in the Madison and Chicago so I really have no other dealership options. They really caused me a lot of headaches, as I had to drop the car off and pick it up and they are not that close by so I do not want to deal with them ever again if I can help it.

Thanks!
Tiffany
These users thanked the author 122Skidoo for the post:
precopster

the65dartguy1
Year and Model: 2001 S60 2.4T
Has thanked: 0
the65dartguy1

Re: Resetting SRS Airbag light after DIM repair and question about dealing with dealership

Post by the65dartguy1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 am

Easiest way is to find somebody locally with a VIDA/DICE clone. Its a very fast reset with one of them. Probably your best bet for that is to join one of the many Volvo Facebook groups and see if you can get a local to help. Most of the Volvo community is very accommodating.
These users thanked the author the65dartguy1 for the post:
122Skidoo

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Resetting SRS Airbag light after DIM repair and question about dealing with dealership

Post by oragex » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:58 am

122Skidoo wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:29 am
They found a used dash for $225 and put it in for $160, but the dealership had to update the software for another $226.
Tiffany
Replacing the DIM literally takes 5 minutes, actually less. Pull a plastic trim, remove 4 screws.

You had bad luck with this story, but the good news is you ended by landing here, and hopefully from now one with the help of this forum, people will stop stealing your money.

The dealership is correct, they do not update the software/miles because they want you to buy the new part from them. Some places online do hack it though, Ebay has several sellers who can update the miles.

For the SRS light, look on local advertising sites for independent garages or even simply car owners who have the Vida/Dice software. At my place there is a Volvo tech who works from home, he cleared the light for $40 - it takes 20 min.
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
122Skidoo

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Hello and welcome from lurking Tiff!

You can try local, we also have some genius DICE programmers on the forum, yagger and doublebug, who may be able to reprogram your module over the internet if you can set up DICE and a PC

A decent scanner like the AUTEL 50x and up series will reset the SRS Light - scan the HELP forum to find a known MVS member who isnt a creeper near you. Stay away from guys who reuse their motor oil.
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
122Skidoo
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

122Skidoo
United States of America
122Skidoo

Post by 122Skidoo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I had not thought of checking Facebook groups, that is a good idea. Worst case scenario I would go to the dealer. One other think that chapped my hide was in addition to the costly DIM replacement they suggested the 120K maintenance around $600 to "change spark plugs" and then said oh yeah, and also $11 to change the license plate bulb. Like they wouldn't change a little bulb for me with over $2k of repairs. Bulb changes are one maintenance thing I can do myself since certain ones seem to blow yearly!

Cees Klumper
Year and Model: C70 2008 T5
United States of America
Cees Klumper

Post by Cees Klumper » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:34 am

My icarsoft Volvo scanner can reset SRS light (at least it did on my S80, haven't had to try it on the C70 yet). Costs around $110 in the US I believe and has been extremely helpful so far in diagnosing different issues. VIDA/DICE scares me too much when I read all that's involved in making it work. Bottom line is I would go for a good scanner / code re-setter and avoid this dealer.
These users thanked the author Cees Klumper for the post:
122Skidoo

122Skidoo
United States of America
122Skidoo

Post by 122Skidoo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:50 am

Just wanted to post an update, I contacted a local auto shop that specializes in Volvos about resetting the SRS light. The shop owner said he has done this before after DIM repairs. His shop sends the DIMs to Xemodex as recommend on this site. When he tried to reset the SRS on my car he said it could not be reset because of the way the DIM was repaired, that there was an internal fault or something like that, I do not recall exactly the way he phrased it. He said even the dealer would not be able to reset the light. The repair shop I had originally took the car to sent the DIM to a local place called Tanin Electronix for repair. When I called Tanin to ask about this, they said their website specifies that their repair does not fix the SRS light issue (which I see it does state that).

Anyway, it seems that I will need to just learn to ignore the light... it comes on every time I start the car but it at least temporarily goes away when I press the clear message button.

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
Has thanked: 0
chrism

Post by chrism » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Regardless of which way you choose to go from here, make sure you hang onto your original DIM. It has a sticker on the back with a code number. If you are ever so inclined, you can search out another used DIM with the same code number and it should work in your car. The way it was explained to me, it has to come out of the same year 2002? and can even come out of an S80 or S60 as long as the code and year are the same. I've done this and it works. My big mistake was starting the car to move it with no DIM installed - that set the SRS light which cost me $35 to have it turned off at the local Volvo independent shop. A good used Volvo parts yard like Erie Volvo can likely set you up with a compatible unit.
These users thanked the author chrism for the post:
122Skidoo

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:29 am

I don't believe the SRS light is in any way related to a faulty DIM.

You probably have a true SRS issue which may render the airbag system inoperable if not dealt with correctly.

Have the fault codes read with Vida/Dice and post up a screenshot of the Fault Trace in the Delivery tab. We'll try to help if we have more information.
These users thanked the author precopster for the post:
122Skidoo
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:12 am

FYI: I reset my SRS light (after the front seat was removed with the battery still connected) with a BSR-PPC reader.
Too bad there's so much distance between Milwaukee and Hackensack.
These users thanked the author Georgeandkira for the post:
122Skidoo