IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

To VIDA or not to VIDA, that is the question...

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

flyplain
Year and Model: 2009 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
flyplain

Re: To VIDA or not to VIDA, that is the question...

Post by flyplain » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks again to all for the replies. I've decided to sell the Volvo "as is" with OWS light still on... here in MN we just got nailed with 10" of snow, and as I was pulling out of my driveway to bring the car to the buyer, I noticed the AWD must not be working because I had no traction in the deep new snow.

So... I won't sell an AWD vehicle that is FWD. It appears I may NEED to learn more about VIDA, and my main new question is:

Will VIDA tell me exactly what part of the Haldex system is not functioning? I refuse to just throw parts at this until it starts working, especially since some are so expensive that I might as well junk the car.

That said, I've researched a lot, and have taken a good look under the car at which part is what and where... NO fluid seepage or leaking whatsoever, and everything looks really clean and tight. Anyway, I doubt if it's appropriate for me to change the nature of my original post so I'll just shut up now.

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:33 pm

There's a troubleshoot flowchart on the xemodex site that should focus in on what part is faulty.
PS, start with the fuse.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:06 am

If you aren't getting error messages and codes I would not assume your AWD isn't working. You can still get stuck in snow with AWD!!

As an inspectable, running car it's worth $1500 to someone.

There is nothing wrong with selling a car as-is with a nice sheet of paper disclosing known and suspected issues

User raquette is troubleshooting a Haldex on a 2007 on a current thread, too
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

flyplain
United States of America
flyplain

Post by flyplain » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks for the reference to the xemodex site with flow charts. I'll spend the day in my chilly garage going through suggested procedures. Yesterday I did check fuses relative the AWD and both were good. Today I'll check to confirm voltage is getting to where it needs to get, and to see whether the pump is functioning properly.

I was not present during the deer hit, and as far as I knew the AWD was fine prior to that, but since a collision wouldn't disable AWD I have to assume there was a problem unnoticed because of no slippery driving conditions.

It is really quite crucial that I get the AWD working on this car, so I can continue with the purchase agreement made with the buyer, who really wants the vehicle ASAP.

And I certainly agree about possibly getting stuck in snow even with AWD, but in my case the front wheels were spinning aggressively and the rear wheels were doing nothing at all.

I will report back soon with further info regarding what I discover. I would be unspeakably grateful if "we" can get this resolved.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:41 am

AWD systems generally are designed to control/not allow the rear wheels to just 'spin' in slippery conditions to prevent fishtailing. If you're not getting a system maintenance message related to the engine/drivetrain management, the AWD system is probably fine.
If you want he rear wheels to 'spin' you'll have to pretty much hold the pedal to the floor, and even then it may be difficult to see without a high speed camera.

Fortunately there's a youtube video to demonstrate this. This is on an Audi. They were probably holding the gas pedal to the floor to get it to demonstrate the little bit of spin that you can see---slowed down with a high speed camera.

flyplain
United States of America
flyplain

Post by flyplain » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:13 am

I could not put into words how grateful I would be if the AWD IS working normally, BUT... I recently drove a BMW 325XI in my same driveway conditions and it had no problem getting around. I was under the impression that when the front wheels start spinning, the power to the rear wheels is automatically increased, therefore I would see them begin to contribute to forward movement. The rear wheels simply do not turn unless the front wheels are moving the vehicle.

So let's momentarily surmise that my streak of bad days has not yet ended, and that the AWD is NOT working... If I put all four wheels up so they are free to spin, start the car and put it in Drive, should the driveshaft be spinning at least a little bit? If it is, and the rear wheels are turning, does that prove the AWD is functioning properly?

I feel like I'm beginning to sound very non-mechanical, but I am just not familiar with the Haldex AWD system, and would like to confirm without question that the AWD is not working, before I spend too much time crawling around on my cold cement floor.

P.S. I have to ad this edit, which is just to say that I am very sure the AWD isn't working. I mean, even just trying to drive the car into my garage under slightly slippery conditions, the car could barely make in inside. No better than my FWD Jetta.

flyplain
United States of America
flyplain

Post by flyplain » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:43 pm

So... I ran 12V directly to pump and go ZERO action.

Would it be safe to assume buying a pump is the next most logical step, rather than continuing to troubleshoot other components?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Are you following circuit diagrams ??

A lot of components are wired 12. Volts hot and are controlled bu grounding through a control unit
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:48 pm

flyplain wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:43 pm
So... I ran 12V directly to pump and go ZERO action.

Would it be safe to assume buying a pump is the next most logical step, rather than continuing to troubleshoot other components?
Xemodex says it's typical for the pump to fail and cause the aoc module to fail, they only warranty the module rebuild if you also buy the pump, on my 2004 haldex 3 that cost is 800, not feasible for me.
There are other companies on eBay who repair the modules quite a bit cheaper.

You can buy a pump but it might not fix it.

flyplain
United States of America
flyplain

Post by flyplain » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 pm

Well my plan is to buy a pump as a first step toward regaining AWD, so I lowered the exhaust, removed the six allen bolts, and no matter how hard I've tried, I cannot get the prop shaft to let loose from the "flange" (if that's the correct term)... I have read at least twenty posts on three different forums regarding this exact issue, and I'm still unable to break the two parts loose from one another.

I don't have access to a torch, and don't feel very comfortable with that procedure anyway... The car is a 2009 model and is very clean underneath, so I'm surprised this is so difficult. Does anybody have that super special trick to get the prop shaft separated from the rear flange?