IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

To VIDA or not to VIDA, that is the question...

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

flyplain
Year and Model: 2009 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
flyplain

Re: To VIDA or not to VIDA, that is the question...

Post by flyplain » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:50 am

I believe I understand the chisel procedure you describe. I also read the post from Jimmy57 and I get that, but as you said earlier:

"The shaft moves inside the viscous coupler, so it might not work using chains to pull the shaft."

Unless I am missing something here, my attempt to loosen the shaft with my slide hammer hooked to a chain is accomplishing the same effect as the chisel and hammer method, without doing any physical damage (grooves/divets) to the shaft.

It seems like the best way would be to somehow pound on the flange side of the coupler, in order to get a direct effect, but that's not an option.

One other method I've read is to have the front connected (which I do), start the car and put it in gear, thereby causing the shaft to spin and break loose in the rear (my rear wheels are off the ground so I suppose the E-brake would need to be on). I, however, do not feel comfortable with that approach. If I KNEW nothing could get damaged I'd try it. But I'm too broke at the moment to risk damaging the U-joint, or the center bearing, or whatever else...

I really do appreciate all the replies.

flyplain
United States of America
flyplain

Post by flyplain » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:15 pm

Just to update, today I was told by a local Volvo mechanic to put a bolt in one of the two non-threaded holes in the back of the flange, and pound on it to push the shaft forward and out. I did this, and rotated the shaft to access the "other" hole, inserted bolt, pounded, sprayed penetrating lubricant... continued to do this for about an hour. The shaft has not budged whatsoever.

It's pretty tight under there without a lift, so I am not getting a full swing of the heavy hammer. Maybe an air hammer would help but I don't have access to that. The sad saga continues...

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:59 pm

I think that's about all we can do,
Rinse and repeat.

flyplain
United States of America
flyplain

Post by flyplain » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:47 am

If anybody is having as much difficulty as I did in breaking the prop shaft loose from the rear flange, take the great advice I read quite a while ago:

Air Chisel.

It took me a week to locate one, but after many hours of trying other methods with zero success, an air chisel broke it loose in about three seconds.
Used an air wrench to remove the flange nut, a puller to get the flange off the spline, then pulled the AOC pump and it again tested BAD. New pump, filter, and AOC oil should all be here tomorrow and once that's all done and the everything is re-assembled all I can do is hope the DEM was not compromised by the failed pump.

jonesg
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Do you mean an air hammer with chisel tool insert, I have one of those.
Where did you apply the tool?

jonesg
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 pm

BBA remaninc has a rebuilding service for that module. $225.
They have an eBay store.
I lived not too far from them, taunton ma.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:47 pm

flyplain wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:47 am
If anybody is having as much difficulty as I did in breaking the prop shaft loose from the rear flange, take the great advice I read quite a while ago:

Air Chisel.

It took me a week to locate one, but after many hours of trying other methods with zero success, an air chisel broke it loose in about three seconds.
Used an air wrench to remove the flange nut, a puller to get the flange off the spline, then pulled the AOC pump and it again tested BAD. New pump, filter, and AOC oil should all be here tomorrow and once that's all done and the everything is re-assembled all I can do is hope the DEM was not compromised by the failed pump.
Thanks for sharing this and sorry we didnt have a lot of experience here to help. You have fixed that. Its scary being the first but you made MVS better today for the next guys/gals.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

flyplain
United States of America
flyplain

Post by flyplain » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:55 am

Forums are invaluable, generally speaking. My only aggravation is when I read through page after page of a thread and in the end the original poster never reveals what his/her resolution was... so IF I find a solution in my own case, I want to make sure other readers can benefit if possible. Nothing special about it, just logical.

Anyway, it's also good to know the DEM can be repaired for a reasonable fee, though I really hope it's not necessary.

If somebody can direct me how to add a couple of images that might be helpful in explaining the exact procedure I used but really all you need to do is insert some sort of bolt through one of the non-threaded holes in the back of the flange. Here is a link to show the type of bolt I used:

http://www.ukbolt.co.uk/m8-m10-m12-m14- ... 1322-p.asp

Then just stick the tip of your long pointed chisel into the head of the hex bolt and push pretty hard. Hit the trigger on your air hammer while pushing for about three or four seconds. If that doesn't break the prop shaft loose you may need to turn the flange and repeat this procedure in the other non-threaded hole. Here is a link to show the type of chisel I used:

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/prod ... 4/TAPER-6/

If all you have is a flat chisel, the same procedure might work by using a bolt designed for a flat head screwdriver, as long as the head of the chisel doesn't slip off the bolt when you hit the trigger.

jonesg
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:05 am

Great , cap head bolt makes sense. It captures the tip of the driving tool.

flyplain
United States of America
flyplain

Post by flyplain » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:46 pm

Today I pulled the old pump and filter, installed a new pump and filter, filled the Haldex with OEM Volvo fluid, reassembled the flange, prop shaft, various exhaust components, and... well, with all four wheels still up off the garage floor, I started the engine, put the tranny in gear, and ALL four wheels were turning... this was not the case before, so I am hoping the AWD is back in action... won't really feel sure until tomorrow when I can do some winter driving in snow and icy conditions. Got my fingers crossed, and might not sleep a lot tonight.