As promised, this is a follow up to precopster's last post:
However, first I must begin by saying the most recent posts (by mrbrian, RickHaleParker, and abscate) have taken the thread to several levels above my reckoning. As an older "nuts & bolts" guy, I will try to absorb what is being said rather than comment. But I'm certain there are a lot of younger guys learning a lot from your back and forth dialogue.
To precopster :
Don't know whether you saw my comment as to your first post on this thread. Somehow I missed it and sent the ECM out for repair before I saw it. Otherwise, I MAY have changed course. I will describe the capitalized "may" in a bit. But first, I must say that I had never heard of "DICE" until I started searching MVS for something to help with my ECM problem. I really still don't know much about it, only that a lot a guys seem to have difficulty making it work. I've seen a few threads that get into computer program logic to troubleshoot why it isn't working, and that's not the thing I care to deal with. You also asked if I had VIDA and a laptop. I don't have VIDA but guess what, I do have a laptop running Window 10 ( which might not be good because some of these type programs still need Windows XP )., By now you probably realize I'm not conversant in this type of approach. However, I'm usually willing to try, but the real reason for avoiding that approach is a frustrating situation I had to deal with two years ago. So this involves another fairly long short story if you care to read thru it :
It involves a problem with my son's 1998 BMW 323. The car wouldn't start and eventually I used my scanner to check for codes. The scanner would not communicate with the car. After stumbling around for awhile, I finally found a thread on a BMW forum that talked about how deterioration of the lower front windshield rubber seal could allow water to enter the firewall cavity that housed the ECM. Sure enough that was the problem and the ECM was toast.
So what to do. Called the local BMW dealership and about $2,000 to replace and program it after you had it towed in. They refused to deal with programming a used ECM. Called quite a few independent guys who didn't seem to want to deal with a used one either - not the right test equipment / no guarantees, etc. So I started a thread looking for options. Got a lot of input, as usual some good and some not so. Part of the problem was not wanting to have the car towed to someone who couldn't get it done. Decided to get a good "used" one on eBay from the same year and model car that had matching part numbers. Some claimed this would work without doing anything else. However, the immobilizer reared its head and the car wouldn't start after installing for that reason.
Then a guy showed up on the forum and said he could get me out of trouble by reprogramming the ECM and bypassing the immobilizer (EWS system in BMW language) at the same time, guaranteeing it would come back "plug & play". So I sent it to him in New Jersey and he worked his magic for less than $200. Got it back, and low and behold the car started and ran well. However, soon a CEL code showed (think it was P0600). It would clear but soon came right back. As Maryland has an emission testing program, this was not going to work. The thread input said this code is often the result of a mismatch in transmissions - manual vs auto and I couln't verify what tranny the donor car had. Called the guy in Jersey and he said that the trans didn't matter. After some back and forth, he said to clear the "adaptations" and this would go away. I asked if all I have to do then is use my scanner to do this or disconnect the battery. The answer was "NO" , it has to be done with specific BMW programming equipment ! After arguing that this was supposed to be plug & play, guess what it took to resolve this last issue.? He mailed me his laptop that had the correct BMW program (on Win XP) , I connected it to the goofy circular plug in the engine compartment, called him and he connected to the laptop over the internet, clearing the adaptations as we followed his directions running the car.
Talk about a brave new world ! It worked, but I don't particularly want to go thru that agony again. Hopefully methods have improved, or Volvos are easier to deal with than BMW's, or just perhaps Volvo guys are simply smarter !
Bottom line is that this whole episode took well over a month to resolve. So now you understand the capitalized MAY in my response.
Hopefully now, with two lifetime guarantees, I won't have to deal with this issue again on this car - but I wouln't count on that either !