IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2001 XC70 ECM Ignition Ground failure P0301 P1367 Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: About To Send ECM Out For Repair - Need Advice Quickly !

Post by abscate » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm

That is a well regarded package but what's really missing in the BMW world is Matts Bimmer site

Even on Bimmerfest you do not get the expertise and lady and Gentlemanly behavior of MVS
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

jcb
Year and Model: xc70 2001
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
jcb

Post by jcb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 pm

Somewhat surprised you guys have been involved with BMW's. With the exception of the '89 Jag XJS V-12 that I bought from a friend(?), I've been a Volvo guy since I first could afford one - a new '75 245 DL wagon (the family used and loved that car for over 30 years). For some reason my #2 son strayed and bought the used '98 323is. He loves it and it does drive well, but probably the worst repair that I had to do on any car was replacing a rear wheel bearing on it. In any case, I've used the BMW sites when needed, and honestly could not do without them (same with the Volvo forums).

More to the current theme of this thread. What has always ticked me off is the reason why many of these systems have gotten so complex. Things like immobilizers and the like are there for one reason - theft. While it starts with the thief, the insurance companies complained enough to force the car guys to design this anti-theft complexity into their cars. Even though smart thieves can still get around many systems, this satisfies the insurance companies, and maybe the dealerships as well. After all, we use to be able to go to the junkyard, get a used (hopefully good) computer, plug it in to your car and go. But now you either have to pay the dealer a 4 figure sum, or try to do a work around as fortunately some guys have been able to do, or scrap an older car because it's not worth having a dealer do it. I wonder how many good cars reach an early demise for this reason. Anyway, I'll get off my soap box, because I'm sure you've heard all of this before.

And to RickHaleParker, Thanks for the tip on trying to clear the adaptations. That did take a long time to resolve. I didn't give every detail about that effort. When that became the final issue, the dealer wouldn't tough it and the independent guys were wavering on whether it was worth it for them to get involved at that point. Then a Good Samaritan posted that he may be able to help me if I brought the car to his garage, about a 50 minute drive. He said he had the BMW programming system that should be able to handle this, although he had never used it much he was willing to give it a shot. So early next Sunday morning I gave him a visit - house out in the country, not particularly lavish. But WOW, his three car garage was something to behold. In it was a pristine modified BMW coupe that he said pulled some God awfully high HP - but it looked so clean it was if he had never used it. The rest of the shop had just about every special tool you could think up and everything arranged in perfect order. Although pretty young, he was a retired Navy submariner. I know i'm going on too long here, but you just had to see it. So then for well over an hour he tried to clear the adaptations. At times it seemed to work, but then the CEL code reappeared. He finally gave up, saying he couldn't figure out why it wasn't happening. So if nothing else, this does show there are a fair number of BMW bloggers who are willing to freely invest their time to help.

jcb

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:14 am

But now you either have to pay the dealer a 4 figure sum

Fox guarding the hen house :roll:
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

jcb
United States of America
jcb

Post by jcb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:26 pm

RickHaleParker,

The term "collusion" has become rather popular these days. While I wouldn't necessarily go that far in this case, your quote on the subject may well be right on.

General Comment -

This thread my well be winding down and has served its purpose in my view. I received some good input that helped me conclude I wasn't missing something obvious in my trouble shooting process (very important to my thinking). In the end the ECM got fixed, the XC has been running well now for several weeks, and the money spent to do that was I think reasonable (although aside from buying a set of tires, this is the largest single expenditure to date on this 2001 XC).

Still, there remains some "clean-up" relative to unresolved issues in the X/FCP arrangement. As mentioned in an earlier post, about a week ago FCP took the first step in clarifying what a purchaser can expect when signing up for their R&R offering. I outlined a few next steps as I see them, but since then nothing else has changed in their product description. As is, I can't see how anyone could sign up without some explanation of what X considers "Basic Level 1 and Advanced Level 2". Whatever it is, shouldn't it be stated in FCP's description ? Hopefully the delay in clarifying this relates to the holiday season "lack of time". What I can say is that I will occasionally be checking on their progress/or lack thereof on this, and posting on this thread when appropriate. And please understand, I think FCP is a great outfit. I order virtually all my parts from them for the familiy's five Volvos and single BMW.

Thanks for those that provided feedback, and I'll continue to post back as needed.

JCB

jcb
United States of America
jcb

Post by jcb » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 am

!! DTC P1367 !!

Didn't intend to come back this soon with another post, but this one has to do with the thread's original subject. I have a Maryland emission test coming up at the end of this month. So after I received my ECM back from X and installed it, the first thing I did before even starting the car was to check the status of the "monitors" with my Actron scanner. As expected, the normal 6 or 7 showed "Inc" (incomplete), indicating I needed to drive the car until they reset. The other thing I checked was to see if any DTC's were stored, and found none.

So yesterday, in preparation for the emission test, I checked the status of the monitors and all had reset, so I was good to go. For some unknown reason, even though the CEL was not illuminated, I decided to check for codes, and was surprised that one showed up = P1367. The Actron verbiage showed "Manufacturer Contrl Ignition or Misfire". I Googled P1367 as it applied to Volvos and found nothing other than on one forum there is a numerical list of every Volvo P code. On that list it shows as "Ignition Spare". There is an Actron site where, after plugging in your specific car info and the numerical code, it will give you the verbiage. I did this and it repeated what my scanner showed, except it spelled out the word "controlled" (instead of abbreviating it).

Rather than just taking the car for the test since the CEL was not on, I impetuously cleared the code and it disappeared, but of course that cleared the monitors so I have to get those to reset again. As the car has been starting and running OK, I'm hoping this is just some residual garbage resulting from the ECM repair. Because the CEL light was never on, it may have triggered as soon as I started the car the first time. One interesting tidbit was that before clearing the code I checked the "freeze data" on the scanner and it showed nothing. In the past this has showed the engine data for when the code occurred. I need to do some research on this, because possibly "freeze data" is not triggered until the code turns on the CEL.

Hopefully this is not a precursor of continuing problems, and I'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, any input on experience with P1367 would be welcome.

Thanks,

JCB

RickHaleParker
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 am

It might be that the ECM connection to #5 is not seated good or was not seated good. Clear the code and see if it comes back.

Manufacturer-specific code, for Volvo:

P1355 Cyl.1, Ignition circuit Open Circuit
P1356 Cyl.1, Ignition circuit Short to B +
P1357 Cyl.1, Ignition circuit Short to ground

P1358 Cyl.2, Ignition circuit Open Circuit
P1359 Cyl.2, Ignition circuit Short to B +
P1360 Cyl.2, Ignition circuit Short to ground

P1361 Cyl.3, Ignition circuit Open Circuit
P1362 Cyl.3, Ignition circuit Short to B +
P1363 Cyl.3, Ignition circuit Short to ground

P1364 Cyl.4, Ignition circuit Open Circuit
P1365 Cyl.4, Ignition circuit Short to B +
P1366 Cyl.4, Ignition circuit Short to ground

P1367 Cyl.5, Ignition circuit Open Circuit
P1368 Cyl.5, Ignition circuit Short to B +
P1369 Cyl.5, Ignition circuit Short to ground

P1370 Cyl.6, Ignition circuit Open Circuit
P1371 Cyl.6, Ignition circuit Short to B +
P1372 Cyl.6, Ignition circuit Short to ground

P1373 Cyl.7, Ignition circuit Open Circuit
P1374 Cyl.7, Ignition circuit Short to B +
P1375 Cyl.7, Ignition circuit Short to ground

P1376 Cyl.8 Ignition circuit Open Circuit
P1377 Cyl.8, Ignition circuit Short to B +
P1378 Cyl.8, Ignition circuit Short to ground
Last edited by RickHaleParker on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Plant Torslanda Sweden.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:27 am

Cylinder 5 coil signal voltage is faulty. Maybe. It might be a spurious code that won't come back. It has to occur several times before the CEL is set, so the 'pending' status might mean it came once or twice.

Get a scanner that reads ECM Volvo codes - the generic descriptions are usuallymapped wrong.

VIDA is best for a post 1998, of course.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

jcb
United States of America
jcb

Post by jcb » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:41 am

Wow, that's some very specific diagnostic language ! Is that from a generic list, or specific to V70 P2 models ? Either way, Ill keep my eye on it and if it returns I'll remove the cover and check all plug connections. Don't know about #5 specifically, but on 2 or 3 of the plugs the locking tabs have snapped off. I've never seen that as a problem because the way the wiring is routed seems to force them to stay put with little chance for backing out.

Anyway, as usual thanks very much for the input. I'll report back as appropriate.

RickHaleParker
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:11 am

Wow, that's some very specific diagnostic language ! Is that from a generic list, or specific to V70 P2 models ?

Not specific to a model, is correct for all Volvo. Other manufacturers use the same codes but they may mean something different.

For example:

Definition of check engine code P1367:
Acura:TDC Sensor No. 2 Signal
Citroen/Peugeot: Ignition Spare
Ford: Ignition Spare
GM: IC Cylinder 7 Not Toggling After Enable
Honda: Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor B (Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor) No Signal,or Top Dear Center (TDC) Sensor 2 No Signal
Jaguar: Ignition System Failure Group 1
Kia: Ignition System Failure Group 1
Mini: Ignition coil B, primary/secondary circuit - low
Volkswagen/Audi: Cyl.5,ignition circuit Open Circuit
Volvo: Cyl.5,ignition circuit Open Circuit

Plant Torslanda Sweden.

azureblue
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
United States of America
azureblue

Post by azureblue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:17 pm

I assume you have checked the grounding for your ECU. That is the first thing I look for when electricals go wonky..

There are several cloning services that should do the job for much less than the dealer. Snabb http://www.snabb.us/ will do it for Cloning Service $305 / ECU core charge $75. If you are close to a parts yard, go yank a compatible ECU to save a few bucks.

I bet Autozone, etc. if they did a scan of your car, would show up some reading issues. If that is true then you do have a bad module. But if it reads good, then get a Volvo Pro to scan the car --

Contact "doublebug" or Sergey through through site. Sergey saved my car, which had a bad main computer, with the aid of an OBD cable and a good wifi connection.
2001 V70 T5, 180K. My seventh Volvo.