I've recently hijacked this thread, but I have a bunch of questions that I'd like to ask to the group at large.
I've done a lot of reading over the past few days, and I don't *think* any of my exact questions are already answered in any obvious place, but my apologies if I've missed some things!
I have a new to me 2001 V70 with 174K miles. To make a long story short, I have a very detailed report from Carfax demonstrating that it's been exceptionally well maintained.
But I have some questions anyhow.
- I was linked to a vid regarding the airbox thermostat on the NA 2.4, and in that vid the easy solution to wearing out the thermostat is to jam it open so it gets cold air at all times. Is there a downside to this? I just found myself wondering why the thermostat was there at all. Second question - where does the spring that guy uses come from? Am I supposed to recognize it?
- Any chance the cargo cover is cheaper at a salvage yard than it is on Ebay? I'd like to have one, but not sure I really want to pay $150+ for it.
- More or less same question for floor mats.
- The body-color bit of plastic housing on the top of my driver's side mirror is loose. The mirror itself is very firmly mounted. I saw some things come up in my search that said there is no fix except to replace the entire unit. I also saw a very very old thread from someone who said he somehow fixed it with screws, but no pics were provided. Any suggestions? I can provide pics/video if that will help.
- M1 High Mileage or M1 0W40 Euro oil, or something else?
- Regarding synthetic - it sounds like I need to plan to do several filter changes if I'm going to make the switch, since I don't know what was used before. Is that the only caution? Is there any real benefit to synthetic on a gently driven NA if I plan 5K oil changes?
- My "pen clip" is broken in the center console. Is this easily fixed? It's damn near the only thing that's broken.
- Looks like my clutch is original. It doesn't slip, and the pressure plate feels good. There is no throwout bearing chatter that I can detect. How long can I hope to get from it? I hear it's a pretty expensive fix.