IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
MVS-Amazon link helps MVS!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Repeated Errors? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

docbipe
Year and Model: 2007 S60AWD

Repeated Errors?

Post by docbipe »

First post. Sorry it's long. I need to be as complete as possible.
My current 2007 S60 AWD is trying it's best to kill me, I swear! Only has 122,000 miles and looks like new. I do all my own maintenance as I did on the previous 2, 2001 S40 and 2006 S60.
Recently experienced engine surging at idle, and when I step on the go pedal it takes off normally, falls flat on it's face and then slowly resumes acceleration. Quick check of the net, let's clean the throttle body and check the throttle position unit. Not too bad a job and everything is squeaky clean, the surging has gone.
Then what seemed to be a simple process turned out to be a nightmare. I installed a new battery, it was 7 years old and weak. Not so simple.
All 7 computers set errors, Giving me my first stroke. Long story short, by searching the net I solved the problem by disconnecting the negative cable and touching it to the positive cable, re-connecting it with the key on. YAY! it worked like a charm.
Let's go for a ride. 30 min. later Hold on, why is the check engine light on and the display saying the engine control system needs repair? Hooked up my generic ODB2 device and it tells me the crank / camshaft position sensor is bad, P0337 I believe. I reset and it came back when I started the car for the second time. The surging became to the extreme, going from what seemed like 2 cylinders to 500hp.
Ok, ordered and installed both sensors, reset the computer and went for a ride. SO NICE! surging went away and ran super smooth. Untill I started it for the second time. Decided to drive it with the check engine light on and got handed a car that had no power. Reset the computer again to make it home. It came on again when I got home, error code P0007. I cant find a fuel shut off valve! In the meantime the cam / crank message keeps coming back also. I have checked, poked and prodded almost every electrical connection under the hood, checked and swapped relays and fuses. Nothing I do seems to solve a problem that may COME AND GO BY THEMSELVES. Yes all caps. Maybe This time a code, hook up to OBD2, no error. Next time it will show a code. Check engine light comes on with no code.
Right now it is running smoothly but lacks normal power with no codes showing, subject to change.
HELP!
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Re: Repeated Errors?

Post by abscate »

When you can't read the code it means it is a non-generic Volvo code which requires a higher end scanner to read - something like the AUTEL 500 series or higher.

Codes don't tell you what to replace, only where to start troubleshooting. Sometimes they don't even tell you that , they are just spurious.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
docbipe

Post by docbipe »

Today I decided to start at the beginning for troubleshooting. I drove the car into the shop and removed covers to check the timing belt and timing. I had just replaced the belt and components 2000 miles ago, but I have to start somewhere.
I aligned the crank drive marks to start. The tick marks were in line with the harmonic balancer mark. It appeared that both cams were off in the advanced direction 4 teeth. Not sure how that was possible, after all I drove the thing in!
I proceeded to realign all the timing marks. When i tried to start it, it turned over like it had no compression. I double and triple checked, still no good. Tomorrow I will remove the harmonic balancer and timing belt drive pulley to see if something sheared.
Curious to see what the ???
RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.

Post by RickHaleParker »

If it turns over like it has no compression, do a compression test.
1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package.
2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000.
2004 S60R, B8444S TF80 AWD.
2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0.
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

docbipe wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:16 am Today I decided to start at the beginning for troubleshooting. I drove the car into the shop and removed covers to check the timing belt and timing. I had just replaced the belt and components 2000 miles ago, but I have to start somewhere.
I aligned the crank drive marks to start. The tick marks were in line with the harmonic balancer mark. It appeared that both cams were off in the advanced direction 4 teeth. Not sure how that was possible, after all I drove the thing in!
I proceeded to realign all the timing marks. When i tried to start it, it turned over like it had no compression. I double and triple checked, still no good. Tomorrow I will remove the harmonic balancer and timing belt drive pulley to see if something sheared.
Curious to see what the ???
Are you following alignment procedures for CVVT engines? It’s more complicated than just aligning marks
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
Durenol
Year and Model: Volvo 2007

Post by Durenol »

docbipe wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:15 pmHooked up my generic ODB2 device
If you do all your own work, you NEED to buy a Dice+Vida setup instead of messing with a generic scanner. The cars log and report all sorts of stuff that can't be read through an ODB interface. Assuming you already have an old laptop that can run it, you can pick it up for around $100.
Durenol
Year and Model: Volvo 2007

Post by Durenol »

docbipe wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:16 amIt appeared that both cams were off in the advanced direction 4 teeth. Not sure how that was possible, after all I drove the thing in!
I cannot for the life of me find the thread, but I remember someone else trying to do this type of work themselves (and welding some kind of home-made tool for the purpose) and discovering that the marks weren't supposed to line up they way they thought they did. I don't know if this information helps any.
docbipe

Post by docbipe »

Thanks everyone. I found a good set of instructions on setting CVVT, did some research and returning to the operating table this morning.
docbipe

Re: Repeated Errors?  Topic is solved

Post by docbipe »

Sorry I took so long to post, I have been busy, and smashed the **** out of my thumb on another project.
First, the cams being 4 teeth off. I can only assume that I omitted checking something when I installed a new belt and parts. I remember NOT rolling it over 2 turns and rechecking everything. Lesson 1 learned.
Second. After re-timing and then having what seemed like no compression, another big mistake due to me again! Now that I think about it, I rolled the engine over ONE turn in the process. DUH!
Third. When just doing a simple timing belt replacement is completely different from correcting slipped teeth. I read up on the procedure and took everything in like my life depended on it. This is a very tedious process no matter how you look at it. The end result is a car that runs like it is supposed to with no DTC's!
Who says 63 is too late for an old dog to learn new tricks? I just went in with too much confidence and got bit.
Thanks everyone.
RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.

Post by RickHaleParker »

I rolled the engine over ONE turn in the process. DUH!

You forgot it is a four stroke not a two stroke.
1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package.
2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000.
2004 S60R, B8444S TF80 AWD.
2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0.