IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2005 S60R: Engine Oil dripping from intercooler elbow

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

ColoradoPaul
Year and Model: Volvo 2005 S60R
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ColoradoPaul

2005 S60R: Engine Oil dripping from intercooler elbow

Post by ColoradoPaul » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:08 pm

I am new to this site as I normally visit Swedespeed's R Forum but thought I would try here since I am not getting it figured out over there.

I have a 2005 S60R with an oil dripping issue. My intercooler is a Bell IC which I installed years ago. The oil is dripping from the bottom of the IC coupling down from the OTE pipe. It drips from that coupling and then drips off the elbow at the bottom by the passenger fog light. I had thought it was a turbo problem so I replaced my 175K mile turbo with the turbo that came with an engine that I swapped in about a year ago which had 91K miles on it. The oil dripping from that spot happened about a month or so before I swapped out the turbo. After the turbo swap I put in fresh oil and in four days of 40 miles each (160 miles total) I saw the same drip with the fresh oil.

After the engine swap until about a month ago I did not have this issue and when my PCV system was plugged before with my old engine I did not have oil dripping from that spot either. During the engine swap I did replaced the flame trap just because. I also did the dipstick glove test and there appeared to be some suction but I am at my wits end trying to figure out what to do. I was thinking of replacing the entire PCV system but I want to do this right. Someone mentioned it is basically crankcase ventilation problem with blow-by but it doesn't make sense that I would get oil dripping after only four days...something must have changed in the last month or so.

What do you guys recommend that I try first before taking it to a local Volvo garage that I trust?

Thanks!
Paul

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: 2005 S60R: Engine Oil dripping from intercooler elbow

Post by jimmy57 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:20 pm

The oil vapors will always condense and leave liquid oil in intercoolers on any gas or diesel engine with crankcase vented before IC like your R. If you use silicone hoses they weep. If you have the original rubber OE hoses then you may have a small hole. Usually the leak is not as bad as what you describe. My 243K mile 2004 R has some weeping that wets the hose at IC that connects OTE pipe to the IC but it has not yet made a drip but there is always some oil on that hose. Rings getting some wear and increasing crankcase vent volume does make the quantity of oil in IC tract higher. I have diesel pickups venting similarly and the IC and all connector hoses do the same .

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:11 pm

On older P80's I would clean that elbow out once a year. I had silicone hoses and if I didn't clean them eventually a good turbo boost would pop the hose off and I would lose all power and go into limp mode scaring me to death...the oil accumulation there is normal from condensation of gases.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

ColoradoPaul
United States of America
ColoradoPaul

Post by ColoradoPaul » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Maybe I was not clear but the oil drips on the outside of the elbow because it flows out of the coupling above it. And this is not normal behavior on my car. I've had my R since new and with 175K miles it has never happened to me. Something has changed the last month or so to cause this dripping.

Also, my IC hoses are all metal hoses that have been powder-coated and my couplings are all silicone holding them all together. There are no holes in my IC hoses...that is for sure. My question is what is causing the oil to flow through the hoses and could it be my PCV system even though the glove test does not show any problems?

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:02 pm

ColoradoPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:22 pm
Maybe I was not clear but the oil drips on the outside of the elbow because it flows out of the coupling above it. And this is not normal behavior on my car. I've had my R since new and with 175K miles it has never happened to me. Something has changed the last month or so to cause this dripping.

Also, my IC hoses are all metal hoses that have been powder-coated and my couplings are all silicone holding them all together. There are no holes in my IC hoses...that is for sure. My question is what is causing the oil to flow through the hoses and could it be my PCV system even though the glove test does not show any problems?
Maybe the intercooler has hit it's limit. Can you clean it. Drain it. ?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:43 am

There is a weep hole on the bottom of the intercooler that should blow air, moisture,and residual oil out the bottom - the plastic engine cover should have a slight accumulation of grit from sticky oil. Make sure that is clean and flowing.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

ColoradoPaul
United States of America
ColoradoPaul

Post by ColoradoPaul » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:31 am

Thank you abscate: I will take a look at that weep hole and the plastic engine cover.

I am, however, unfamiliar with the weep hole - how does the weep hole work and what do you mean that it should blow air, moisture and residual oil out the bottom- the bottom of what? Does it allow oil to drip on the ground below the IC? It also sounds like the weep hole being plugged causes oil to accumulate under the plastic engine cover - can you explain it so I can understand what I am looking at?

And does this all make sense with fresh oil dripping off the elbow to the ground? Basically what should happen if everything is working correctly?

Thanks so much!

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 am

At the lowest point of the intercooler on my T5 there is a hole, maybe 2mm diamater, that lets water and oil drop out of the intercooler. It is too small to bleed off much of that boost you are pushing through the

Its normal to have oily hoses on the induction path - the insides can be moist. If its pooling, though, thats excessive and is pointing to blowby or turbo leaks
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

ColoradoPaul
United States of America
ColoradoPaul

Post by ColoradoPaul » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 am

If it's pointing to blow-by does that mean my PCV system is finally clogged somewhere? What do you recommend I do to take care of it? I am pretty sure it is not my turbo as I just swapped it out with a much newer unit and it is behaving exactly the same.

ColoradoPaul
United States of America
ColoradoPaul

Post by ColoradoPaul » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 pm

The more I think about it I don't believe this leak is happening because of blow-by either. I replaced my engine with a very good engine and I just replaced the turbo so I don't think that is my problem. There must be some easy explanation to why I am leaking oil at that spot. My boost numbers are good, the power is strong, no symptoms of dirty exhaust gas, I was not losing any oil prior to the drip, and the dipstick glove test did not fail.

I don't have a ton of history on my current engine but it's not displaying any of the problems I had prior to pulling it. I have driven it about 3000 miles since I installed it. Something must have changed in the last month or so and I can't figure out what. The only thing that happened to the car after the swap was a coolant leak. I fixed it and it drove fine for the last 500 to 1000 miles. Its got to be something simple.