IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

XC70 Immobilizer, won't start, not antenna/CEM/ECM

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

YossarianZ
Year and Model: 2007 XC70

XC70 Immobilizer, won't start, not antenna/CEM/ECM

Post by YossarianZ »

My 2007 Volvo XC70 has been unusable for about six weeks now. I took the car to the local import repair shop to work on a fault with the stability control system - it was shut off and wouldn't turn on, and also brakes/axles/control arms. The shop determined the stability control problems was just a fuse, they fixed that right away, but had the car another 6 days to do the rest of the work. They took car for test drive after the work and a mile out the engine cut out with an immobilizer warning and hasn't started since. I feel like it has to be a coincidence that the problem occurred while the shop had it...since they did no electrical/engine work...but who knows.

The shop spent a few days working on it with absolutely no idea what to do. None of their OBD2 sensors could connect to the car. My Vida/DICE doesn't connect either (I tested it before and it worked). If I do a lock/unlock 5x sequence the engine will crank but it won't start. Gives an immobilizer-see manual warning. I replaced the antenna key ring and no difference. Figured it must be the CEM, so I sent the CEM/ECM/Key to Xemodex and they found no faults.

Xemodex is now recommending I disconnect the Differential Control Module DCM and if there is a fault with the DCM the engine will start. And if that's the problem Xemodex can fix that. I'll try that, but it seems very unlikely since how would the DCM prevent VIDA/DICE connection?

I guess it could be a problem with the key itself? Unfortunately the closest dealer is about 250 miles away, so that's a costly tow, and I'm told only the dealer can make a new key.

Is it possible to send the key somewhere to have the transponder tested or potentially cloned? Anyone have any other ideas for things to test?

Thanks for any help!
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Re: XC70 Immobilizer, won't start, not antenna/CEM/ECM

Post by oragex »

When you brought the car to the shop, was the engine still running?

Have you tried with a second key?

Hope they didn't "swap" your differential module (it's actually called Differential Electronic Module DEM). That is a $1500 part that is faulty on many earlier AWD. Is that garage place shady? What do the reviews on local.google.com say about it ?

However I don't think the DEM will throw an immobilizer warning. Maybe just try with the second key.
YossarianZ

Post by YossarianZ »

I don't have a second key unfortunately. It's a small shop in a small town, they've done some work in the past and they have always been very fair. I have no reason to think they did anything knowingly. Just some chance they accidentally caused some damage.

So it could just be the key, but I don't want to spend a few hundred getting the car transported to the dealer then have them say they need to replace the DEM and they would probably charge $2000+. Rather have Xemodex fix that.

So ya hoping it's possible to just test or maybe clone the key...
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

I don’t think you can Clone the key. A new key has its own code which has to be married to the ECU on the Car. The flatbed to the dealer might be required here.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

I'd also try to measure the battery, see if it has good voltage (over 12.2V or over 14.2V with the engine running). And perhaps try to disconnect it overnight, who knows... (have the headlights on when removing/plugging the battery).

I've found a thread that sounds a little similar to the Anti-Skid issue, with several comments in it. One talks about an issue with the AWD system (the pump and or the DEM), throwing an Anti-skid message and the car won't run. I know that faulty DEM can cause the car not to run, but it may also be the pump as well. Maybe the blown fuse was related to one of those items of the AWD that has an issue.

Xemodex does refurbish the DEM (if needed, I'm not assuming it's the problem)

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... e-required!-!

See this one although he doesn't mention which relay was replaced

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... -shuts-off

Here's another htread (unfortunately not solved) that has similar key words as your situation

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... ontrol-wtf

More to read

https://www.justanswer.com/volvo/5x2uq- ... lizer.html
precopster
Year and Model: Lots

Post by precopster »

Engine ECM has lost key data. There is an immobilser section of the ECM that marries to the immobilser section of the CEM.

Any locksmith can tell you if your key still has a transponder code (though they won't be able to duplicate it though)

With 2004 plus cars Henry (Doublebug) can solve these problems with an internet connection through your Dice.

VIDA software is not required. We've done this many times on cars I work on and had 100% success.

DEM may have caused the data loss in the first place due to a spike or short circuit.

My advice is to have Henry read the car for faults.
Last edited by precopster on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.
YossarianZ

Post by YossarianZ »

precopster wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:48 pm My advice is to have Henry read the car for faults.
My VIDA/DICE does not connect at all, can't read anything.
precopster

Post by precopster »

Vida is software. Dice is the box.

When you plug in Dice to a Windows laptop does it ask for a driver?
Last edited by precopster on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

YossarianZ

Post by YossarianZ »

No. I already had it configured with a specific laptop. Had no problems with connection, used it a few times. Now when I click "scan for vehicle" (forget exact term) nothing.
precopster

Post by precopster »

If it doesn't ask for a driver and the Dice box isn't broken you'll see Dice in System Properties/Hardware tab/Device Manager

If it's not there and doesn't ask for a driver then it's broken/faulty however it MUST be plugged into the OBDII port of the car to determine this.

Henry doesn't need your copy of Vida to be installed and running; only the Dice box and the Dice driver.