Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

XC70 Immobilizer, won't start, not antenna/CEM/ECM

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

YossarianZ
Year and Model: 2007 XC70

Re: XC70 Immobilizer, won't start, not antenna/CEM/ECM

Post by YossarianZ »

precopster wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:49 pm Failure to connect canbus will result in modules appearing red in Vida diagnostics.

Choose Network and choose each module in turn to see installed software. This way determines if Canbus reaches all modules.

As I mentioned earlier what does driver's display say when car won't start? If no message is present the key is matched to CEM/ECM
Can't see any modules since it can't read the vehicle.

It shows "immobilizer warning, see manual" on driver's display
YossarianZ

Post by YossarianZ »

azureblue wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:28 pm I would disconnect any module that was messed with and check the pins very carefully, to make sure they are all in place. Check And check all related fuses and relays, too. To me, that seems to be a good reason why the car just dies on the road. But I suggest contacting Henry. He and his protege have the software to see pretty deep into the computers, and they really know what they are doing... First hand experience speaking
I'll try checking modules...but actually not sure what you mean? The only modules that have been messed with are the ones that I messed with, after the problem was already there.
YossarianZ

Post by YossarianZ »

That's what it looked like before. Like before I took it to the shop. At the time it drove but had antiskid service warning.

To be clear, I cannot access anything like this anymore. I had the VIDA/DICE working all fine and got this readout, but I couldn't definitively diagnose the AWD problems, so I took it to the shop. The same DICE with the same computer with the same VIDA cannot get any connection now.
YossarianZ

Post by YossarianZ »

I did the CAN Network Test Procedure from XeMODeX and discovered there are ~0ohms resistance across terminals 6/14, 6/5, and 5/14 on my high speed network. So it looks like I have a/some short circuits...

Exciting
azureblue
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5

Post by azureblue »

so do you have shorts with the modules in or out? If out, did you trace where the offending circuits went to, and see what is on the other end, if it is in place, and if you still get the shorts with the other module in place? I hope the shorts are not in your newly repaired modules.... or a result of the 25A fuse....
2001 V70 T5, 195K. My seventh Volvo.
YossarianZ

Post by YossarianZ »

azureblue wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 pm so do you have shorts with the modules in or out? If out, did you trace where the offending circuits went to, and see what is on the other end, if it is in place, and if you still get the shorts with the other module in place? I hope the shorts are not in your newly repaired modules.... or a result of the 25A fuse....
What do you mean by modules? I know that the 6/14 short goes away when I disconnect the CEM. Haven't found how to stop the short for the 6/5.

I cursorily investigated for any clearly shorted wires, but didn't find anything yet. Not exactly sure how I should be methodically checking.