IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

V70R "No oil pressure" warning light

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

V70r carbon
Year and Model: 2005 v70r

V70R "No oil pressure" warning light

Post by V70r carbon »

It's been 12k since Ive changed the head gasket (valve stem seals, planed the head, etc..etc.. and though I'm due for another oil change, I've been getting a " no oil pressure,,stop immediately" warning light flicker at idle after it's run for an hour or so.
When the head gasket blew out at a light and I smoked out traffic behind me, I got a " low oil level.. stop immediately" warning message and after pulling over the oil level was way over the top because of the coolant in the pan. Is it possible that the oil pressure sensor is the cause of the no oil pressure warning message that I'm getting now or is it worse than that?
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: V70R "No oil pressure" warning light

Post by SuperHerman »

Based on your description it sounds like the sensor is working correctly. At idle low pressure and light flickers, hit the rpms and pressure increases and oil light turns off - this sounds like a working sensor. Possible sensor issue, doubtful but possible.

Generally on higher mileage older Volvos the problem is certain O-rings in the oil pan. The get hard and leak causing a lack of pressure. Changing these and making sure your PCV system is clear where it mates to the block usually resolves the issue. You will find write ups on doing this job - if you shop around you can find the O-ring kit for under $20. It is not a fun job, but not bad. If you do the job yourself use the proper anaerobic sealant and not RTV/Silicon. If you look at the similar topics that pop up at the bottom of your post, you will see the material you need. Read all the posts on this one:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59855

Yes you may have an oil pump issue, yes you may have some serious engine bearing issues if you cooked the engine during the head gasket blow out. Other possibility is you have thrown a "clot" into one of the oil passage galleries. Most likely the O-rings.

Did you do the head gasket work? If so you should be able to determine how much sludge you had, if any, and then exclude a "clot".
KurtL
Year and Model: V70 2001

Post by KurtL »

I had the exact same problem. After getting the o rings on the pan replaced and the pcv system serviced it went away. I also use Mobil 1 High Mileage Synthetic 10-40 oil which helped.
cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Post by cn90 »

- The key thing about oil pan job is to park the car inside your garage (if you have one), drain the oil overnight.
It will be much more pleasant to do it the next morning.
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+
Canadian Moose
Year and Model: 2002 V70

Post by Canadian Moose »

Replace o-rings and clean all the oil passages that may be blocked. Possibly replace or clean the pick up tube. Change the oil and filter about 1000 miles after doing the o-rings as there will be sludge accumulated in the filter after cleaning the passages.
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

After the pan is removed I spray carb cleaner around the inside of the engine block walls and let it drip into the pan. I do this a few times to get as much oil off as possible so that when I am about to assemble I avoid any oil runs that will ruin the anaerobic sealant. After the oil rings are installed (I like to use thick assembly lube - Vaseline will work - to make sure the o rings stay in place), I apply the sealant on the pan which has been cleaned and wiped with brake fluid rag, wipe down the inside walls and mating surface with a cloth, then the block mating surface with brake cleaner and make sure it is clean. Final check for oil drip - if any go at it again - then with a helper (after checking the O-rings one last time) I put the pan on and tighten up. You need a helper to hold the pan in place or you can rig a rolling jack as you tighten the first four corners.