IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Rattle Sound in front left over bumps - not with brakes applied

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

lostmyVcardXC
Year and Model: 2004 XC70

Rattle Sound in front left over bumps - not with brakes applied

Post by lostmyVcardXC »

New to the Volvo world but couldn't pass up this '04 XC70. Runs, drives and looks great with only 117k on it. Owner I got it from seemed meticulous in his care, had extra bulbs for the entire vehicle, bumper dye (another question I need to research) and other small miscellaneous things for it that he included.

When I test drove it, I heard a metal type rattling sound in the front left when going over bumps. By all accounts I can say it's not affecting the vehicle in any way. Steering is tight, full turning radius available, suspension seems reasonably stiff for the miles. If I go slow enough, say over a speed bump in my neighborhood the sound is non existent. Also, when applying the brakes, but still maintaining speed over bumpy roads the sound disappears. This leads me to believe it has to be a caliper issue? Any ideas? I researched this on the website, but I didn't see any mention of the sound disappearing when the brakes were applied so I figured I would make a new thread for it.
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: Rattle Sound in front left over bumps - not with brakes applied

Post by SuperHerman »

Could be a brake dust shield. Take the wheel off and have a peak. It could be bent, rusted out or loose. If I recall it is held in place with two 10mm short bolts.

A loose caliper would affect braking in my mind.

That is where I would start. While the wheel is off I would look at all the suspension parts in that corner if it is not the brake dust shield.
MDK
Year and Model: 1998 xc 70

Post by MDK »

MDK here..so, reading your post..a rattling sound could be a few things. I've been messing with Volvo's for a good while. It could be the following: the front strut itself or sway bar links.. common problem or the upper spring seat or a sway bar bushing or caliper... it's what I call getting the front tires hanging and get big pry bar and see what's loose. Sounds like a good wagon.. good mileage..
chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005

Post by chrism »

If you suspect the sway bar link you can disconnect the bottom end and tie it out of the way, then drive the car.
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Post by mrbrian200 »

I would check the condition of the caliper guide pin sleeve/bushings. 'Goes away when braking' is sort of a telltale sign. Most if not everything else that might make a rattle wouldn't go away when the brakes are applied.
jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70

Post by jonesg »

It was the dust shield on mine, a mounting hole was wallowed out. Easy fix with a fender washer.
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Can you maybe record and upload it on Youtube? By rattle, do you meat it's like 'vibrating' not just a single knock? Maybe turn the wheel and have a look first at the spring, the XC70 is known to break one once in a while. Just a quick check. Then the brake shield may rattle if the garage forgot to tighten the bolts.
lostmyVcardXC

Post by lostmyVcardXC »

It's not a vibration. It's a knocking type of rattle. I'm about to tinker with it and see what I can come up with. I'll keep you posted.
MDK
Year and Model: 1998 xc 70

Post by MDK »

So I read your last reply and to me it sounds like an upper spring seat .. very common because Volvo uses recycled materials for their rubber components... I couldn't tell you how many Volvo I bought with this issue..
lostmyVcardXC

Post by lostmyVcardXC »

MDK wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 am So I read your last reply and to me it sounds like an upper spring seat .. very common because Volvo uses recycled materials for their rubber components... I couldn't tell you how many Volvo I bought with this issue..
So I didn't get a chance yesterday to tinker. Is the idpusa.com website the move for parts like what you mentioned above?