IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Lemforder control arms quality in trouble?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Lemforder control arms quality in trouble?

Post by oragex » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 am

Just sharing this, usually I am a Lemforder supporter but it seems they have some trouble with their bushing quality lately (may happen to any company, hope they come back quickly with a better product)

Perhaps too soon to be sure, but it's good to start talking about it as most of us usually buy and recommend these control arms

Open for discussions 8)

Please see my comment inside the video www.youtube.com/watch?v=q32CuR34v6c

dlundblad
Year and Model: 2002 S60 2.4t
United States of America
dlundblad

Re: Lemforder control arms quality in trouble?

Post by dlundblad » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:06 am

It's definitely stretching, but looks to be over stretching. Are you certain everything else is good? Struts or perhaps the sway bar end links? Anything that would allow for extra flex with the wheel up.

I put loaded Lemforder arms on the S60 back in March. We shall see how they hold up. FCP has their lifetime warranty, but I imagine it'd get voided if I just replaced a bushing.

Have you considered poly for this bushing?
Hers: Charcoal 2002 S60 2.4t 187k

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:16 am

I’m not sure that is a failure. I see your point about the stretch but these will load in compression with lateral force where rubber is extremely strong.

I know you are a careful worker but it’s worth mentioning that these parts have to be torqued while loaded for others

I always enjoy your videos by the way, you keep them on point and on a specific issue.

I bet if you bought them from FCP you could ping Jason here and get the money to send you a new one to compare that stretch to see if you just got poor OBQ ( out of box quality)
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 am

When I did the video I was only wondering if the bushing had a problem, after the video I removed the arm from the car and bend tested the bushing and it was definitely shot. Compared it with two other bushings, and the Lemforder was very easy to bend, the rod was detached inside the rubber (same thing happened with my old XC90 bushing from Lemforder as well).

Have to say only the rear bushing had this issue. The front Lemforder one was a Boge sold in Lemforder box and was still fine.

The genuine Volvo arm has the Boge front bushing and a Volvo stamped rear bushing which is not a Lemforder one, not sure who makes now the rear one for Volvo..

I'm guessing Lemforder is sourcing the rear bushing from some other brand at this moment (Febi ?)

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 am

oragex wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 am
I'm guessing Lemforder is sourcing the rear bushing from some other brand at this moment (Febi ?)
The Febi bushes I pressed into that position on my LCAs earlier this year (2006 S60 FWD) still look tip top @ ~3k miles, driven mostly on very rough maintained rural/country roads that really give these bushes a workout. Not too far from driving off road but with chip-seal laid approximately every 10 years technically they're considered paved. Pothole patches are applied via the shovel a pile of cold patch and drive over it with the truck method. The road has never been smoothed with a milling rig, at least not in my lifetime. The Febis are holding up fine so far. The 'IPD HD' LCAs I tried a couple years ago went south within a couple weeks with the front end exhibiting handling/noise issues from day one. The bushes in those LCAs were just awful.

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:02 pm

I wonder, is Ipd HD the same as Meyle HD, just rebranded? I know that Ipd said recently they have improved their control arms being aware of premature failure by the past. That said, there are not many options out there other that we can really trust, brands change their providers, recently Volvo went from Sachs spring seats for CRP (which are actually made by Rein). Slightly confusing. Same with the rear Lemforder ca bushing, they changed the provider and it seems they missed their move this time - side note the Lemforder rear bushing I bought sealed from Eeuroparts (same part sold by Ipd and Fcp) has no numbers/name on it, while the one on genuine replacement ca is stamped Volvo with some numbers on it.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:27 pm

The IPD ones I bought a couple years back, at the time the product description went on about being fabbed with 100% virgin natural rubber in Japan. I don't think they say that anymore. If I'm not mistaken the old/OE bushes are a mix of virgin, recycled, and synthetic rubber. The febis are supposedly a mix of virgin natural and synthetic. I've mentioned in another thread: regardless of how/what this bush is made of I suspect longevity of the thing is highly dependent on how the front bushing acts, both in the physical/dimensional design and with the mechanical properties of the rubber as the control arm rotates around the center stud that bolts to the subframe. I tried the Febi rear bush (new) without touching the OE/original front bush that's OK. So far the pair-up seems 'happy'. The front end tracks/handles like a dream, leaving me to finally worry about the slight toe-in situation on the rear end (another bushing, a new eccentric bolt, another day...) But it's only been a few months/few thousand miles and would be premature to recommend the febi bush just quite yet.

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:42 pm

- Oragex, Lemforder is usually very good as it is the OEM supplier for Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Porsche etc.

- The video you posted, I saw the word "Made in Taiwan", not that it matters but it may.
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:20 pm

oragex wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 am
Just sharing this, usually I am a Lemforder supporter but it seems they have some trouble with their bushing quality lately (may happen to any company, hope they come back quickly with a better product)

Perhaps too soon to be sure, but it's good to start talking about it as most of us usually buy and recommend these control arms

Open for discussions 8)

Please see my comment inside the video www.youtube.com/watch?v=q32CuR34v6c
What if you remove the wheel to reduce the weight pulling the control arm down.

I watched sir rob change his ca and it does look like yours is stretching a lot more at the end of his vid.
At the 19:30 mark.

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
Has thanked: 0
chrism

Post by chrism » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 pm

oragex wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:02 pm
I wonder, is Ipd HD the same as Meyle HD, just rebranded? I know that Ipd said recently they have improved their control arms being aware of premature failure by the past. That said, there are not many options out there other that we can really trust, brands change their providers, recently Volvo went from Sachs spring seats for CRP (which are actually made by Rein). Slightly confusing. Same with the rear Lemforder ca bushing, they changed the provider and it seems they missed their move this time - side note the Lemforder rear bushing I bought sealed from Eeuroparts (same part sold by Ipd and Fcp) has no numbers/name on it, while the one on genuine replacement ca is stamped Volvo with some numbers on it.
A few months ago our 05 S80 developed a knocky RH spring seat at about 185,000 miles. Our local Volvo indie replaced it with a Rein (as I recall). He showed me the old vs the new, side by side. The original had a Volvo logo molded in the rubber. Looking at the Rein in the same location, you could see where something was Dremel’d off. His theory was that Rein, or somebody, is supplying Volvo and also selling the same thing under the Rein label.