IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Pulled out the ECM, replaced it and now fuel injection gets no power

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

PedroMotta4183
Year and Model: 2006 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
PedroMotta4183

Pulled out the ECM, replaced it and now fuel injection gets no power

Post by PedroMotta4183 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:08 pm

I recently had my Volvo fail smog.

The fixes seemed simple. One was replacing the PNP sensor, and the other was cleaning the computer ports.

I followed instructions on youtube (first mistake).
I pulled out the computers , (After disconnecting my battery), and used a tiny bit of the cleaner they suggested.

I replace the computers modules.

I went to start my car, and it would not start.

I had someone help me check all the fuses and power, and as it turns out, I am not getting a power pulse to the fuel injection as I turn the ignition.

All fuses are OK. I tried switching out the Engine control relay. I made sure the computers are in all the way. The battery is good, alternator is good.
I am not getting any new errors from my scanner. All other electric functions are OK in the car, and everything was working well before I made this huge mistake.

Does anyone know what could have happened?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Pulled out the ECM, replaced it and now fuel injection gets no power

Post by abscate » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:29 am

You should have 12 volts constant to the fuel injectors, and the computer (ECM) fires them by grounding through the unit.

Have you tried locking and unlocking the car 5-6 times with the key? You might have just scrambled the immobilized and are getting a no start from that.

Confirm 12 volts to the fuel injectors, then try a shot of starting fluid to confirm lack of fuel.

After this, you will need VIDA to diagnose deeper.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
chrism

Post by chrism » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:27 am

Did you properly lock the ECM back into position (getting the pink sliders fully slid back home)?

Are you using the horseshoe tool to unlock/relock the sliders, or are you using a skinny screwdriver to slide them?

PedroMotta4183
United States of America
PedroMotta4183

Post by PedroMotta4183 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 am

Thank you so much for your response.

I tried the locking and unlocking 5 or 6 times, and unfortunately that did not work.

I don't have a way to check the voltage today, but from what I was told by someone who helped me yesterday, there was no power coming to the fuel injection at all.
I called a mechanic, and they also suggested I need VIDA to get a real diagnosis.

So far, still not working.

abscate wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:29 am
You should have 12 volts constant to the fuel injectors, and the computer (ECM) fires them by grounding through the unit.

Have you tried locking and unlocking the car 5-6 times with the key? You might have just scrambled the immobilized and are getting a no start from that.

Confirm 12 volts to the fuel injectors, then try a shot of starting fluid to confirm lack of fuel.

After this, you will need VIDA to diagnose deeper.

PedroMotta4183
United States of America
PedroMotta4183

Post by PedroMotta4183 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:06 am

Thank you so much for your reply.

I did not use the proper tool, I used a screwdriver.

I do believe it is in place properly, although I can't 100% say that for the pink sliders.

If the computer was not properly back in, would I be seeing other errors? Would it be pretty obvious if that was the case?
chrism wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:27 am
Did you properly lock the ECM back into position (getting the pink sliders fully slid back home)?

Are you using the horseshoe tool to unlock/relock the sliders, or are you using a skinny screwdriver to slide them?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:50 am

I don't have a way to check the voltage today, but from what I was told by someone who helped me yesterday, there was no power coming to the fuel injection at all.
Thats probably a much simpler 12V supply failure of some sort.

ECM is Swedish for 'don't touch this thing until you have exhausted all other possibilities"
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:55 am

If you're not getting 12v to the injectors, you'll also find likely that you're not getting 12v to the coil packs, MAF, or the PTC resistor. The main engine system management relay that supplies all of this isn't closing likely because the ECM isn't seated properly or you bent some pins locking/unlocking repeatedly without the correct tool. I used the screwdriver method once (successfully) to remove the ECM. I would discourage attempting this method. I had to take the bumper cover and RH headlamp housing off to get a long tool in there to push on the slide locks from the ends before I was confident that the ECM was properly locked in before I reconnected the battery. And you have to push both slide locks at the same time--carefully. If I ever decide to pull the ECM or TCM again I'm buying the horseshoe tool.

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
chrism

Post by chrism » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:00 pm

PedroMotta4183 wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:06 am

I do believe it is in place properly, although I can't 100% say that for the pink sliders.
The grooves that the pink sliders interface with are slanted. (See photo below.) As you move the sliders toward the locked position they actually "pull" the ECM tightly downward. So if the sliders aren't slid all the way home then there's no way the connecting pins can be fully engaged. It may be that some pins are making contact and some pins aren't. You gotta get both of those pink sliders ALL THE WAY to the end of their travel.

PedroMotta4183
United States of America
PedroMotta4183

Post by PedroMotta4183 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks for that explanation! That makes sense.
chrism wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:00 pm
PedroMotta4183 wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:06 am

The grooves that the pink sliders interface with are slanted. (See photo below.) As you move the sliders toward the locked position they actually "pull" the ECM tightly downward. So if the sliders aren't slid all the way home then there's no way the connecting pins can be fully engaged. It may be that some pins are making contact and some pins aren't. You gotta get both of those pink sliders ALL THE WAY to the end of their travel.

PedroMotta4183
United States of America
PedroMotta4183

Post by PedroMotta4183 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks everyone for the help.

So, I am buying the removal tool , to make sure it is properly the computer is properly set back in and all contacts are connected properly.

I'm also buying a VIDA scanner. The tutorials all explain its use pretty thoroughly in general...but in this particular case , any suggestions on what I should be looking for in terms of what the problem is , or how I can use the software to perform whatever reset you think I may need to get my car started?

Thanks again for all the help