IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Pulled out the ECM, replaced it and now fuel injection gets no power

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: Pulled out the ECM, replaced it and now fuel injection gets no power

Post by jimmy57 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:02 am

If the ECM is not making contact then using the ECM remove/install tool will fix that and it should run. DO you know what fault codes the shop got? I m not aware of any emissions related faults caused by the ECM connections.

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
Has thanked: 0
chrism

Post by chrism » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 am

jimmy57 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:02 am
I m not aware of any emissions related faults caused by the ECM connections.
Virtually all engine management sensors are wired to the ECM. So if the ECM is not properly connected there could be a multitude of sensors that are unable to communicate their readings back to the ECM. This can lead to all kinds of error codes.

For instance, I had some persistent fault codes pointing to a problem with the throttle module. Thorough cleaning didn't fix it. $350 for a new throttle module didn't fix it. But re-seating the ECM back into it's connector did fix it.

As these cars age and various harness connections become dirty/oxidized , I almost think that reseating the ECM is a first thing to do to eliminate that possibility. It's quick and free to do. Well, free except for the price of the latching tool which I've seen for as low as $15. The Haynes manual has a diagram showing how to DYI a homemade latching tool.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:41 am

jimmy57 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:02 am
I'm not aware of any emissions related faults caused by the ECM connections.
The only ones I am aware of are O2s/fuel trims: O2 signal current may not 'punch through' minor oxidation on the contacts because current is so low, which is also why it's considered unwise to use standard 'bulb grease' on the ECU connector or O2s pigtail connectors. And the somewhat rare issue where arcing between a couple of the terminals at the TCM disturbs CAN communication.

Beyond that, issues with higher current circuits there probably indicates a flood or power washing under the bonnet without 'care'. The back of the ECU and TCM connectors (vehicle harness side) aren't weather pack sealed like most everything else under the hood. It's best not to point a sprayer/steam cleaner nozzle at the area directly around/underneath that box that holds those two computer modules.

PedroMotta4183
Year and Model: 2006 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
PedroMotta4183

Post by PedroMotta4183 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:16 pm

Solved issue:
Turns out the computer was not properly placed back in with the plastic tabs fully pressed in. Once I tried to set the computer again, and it fully set it, the car started right away.