Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

Turbo terminology/construction questions (angled flange and housing)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive P2 platform cars sold as model years 2001-2007 (North American market year designations).

2001 - 2007 V70
2001 - 2004 V70 XC (Cross Country)
2004 - 2007 XC70 (Cross Country)
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
2004 - 2007 V70 R

Post Reply
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:19 am
Year and Model: 2006 S60
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Turbo terminology/construction questions (angled flange and housing)

Post by justanotherhumanoid »

Okay, so I've been researching turbo upgrades and looking for a cheap way to get a 16T or 18T into my 2006 S60 2.5T.

I've learned that the exhaust housings between the stock TD04L-14T and the TD04HL-16T, 18T, etc are not interchangeable, and that for an upgrade to fit, it should have an exhaust housing with an angled flange (as opposed to straight) at the downpipe connection point and ports at specific locations, so 2001-2005 T5 and 1999 V70Rs should be direct/easy replacements.

My questions are:

1. Is the flange an integral part of the exhaust housing, or is it something that can easily be unbolted from the housing in order to, for example, change a 16T with a straight flange to an angled one? Reason is I see some "angled flanges" for sale on ebay, but it looks like they were chopped off of a downpipe and not unbolted from a turbo housing. My impression is that the flange is an integral part of the exhaust housing and that one really needs to change the whole exhaust housing to change the flange type.

2. I see references to 7cm^2 housings and 6cm^2 exhaust housings. Does it matter for fitment, i.e. can I use them interchangeably going from stock downpipe to a Phuzzy DP, or does the fitment to the downpipe also change with this?

Thanks all. Also anyone got a good line on where to get a good 18T? I tried spanky on volvospeed but he appears to have shut down.

User avatar
Posts: 10307
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Year and Model: 850, V70, S60R, XC70
Location: Iowa
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 387 times

Post by erikv11 »

A bit of info:

1. Flange is always a separate piece, bolts on and off. Three connections: V-band clamp at the turbo, studs/nute at the manifold, studs/nuts at the down pipe.

2. Exhaust side completely interchangeable, on the down pipe side must match the diameters.
'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 145k
'98 S70 NA, 220k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 293k
'06 S60 R, 167k
'07 XC70, 170k
'99 Camry V6 :shock: 130k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

Posts: 6674
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:25 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
Location: Ponder Texas
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 278 times

Post by jimmy57 »

To be more specific, the flange is the place where the exhaust pipe, in this case often referred to as the downpipe, connects. The flange is a machined part of the turbocharger exhaust housing and is not detachable. Your downpipe on a 2006 requires the angled flange exhaust housing that came out for 99 model year.
The turbocharger has a center section where the oil supply line and drain lines attach and also where the coolant inlet and outlet lines attach since it is a water-cooled turbo. The two bushings the turbo shaft rides on, a thrust plate to keep the turbo shaft located axially, and metal seal rings to keep oil inside all are parts in the center section. The shaft of the turbo has the exhaust turbine (fan) made onto it and the compressor fan slides onto it and either screws onto the shaft thread if it has integrated threads or uses a nut to secure it. The compressor end fan sliding on allows the shaft to be inserted into bushings in the center section. There is a compressor housing made of aluminum that has the inlet hose connection from air cleaner and the hose connection for the compressed air to exit and go to intercooler. The exhaust and compressor housings need to be machined to have the right shape for the the fans that run in them. I do not have the reference info on these things but there are some turbos used on these engines that have interchange exhaust housings but as far as I know the compressor housings change with every numerical model number change. The compressor fan and compressor housing are the parts that MUST be different to make the turbo a low speed/less max boost pressure style or a high speed/high max boost pressure style. The exhaust fan can have blade count changes or different pitch to blades to also determine which style it is optimized to be but the profile that makes it fit the exhaust housing can be the same.
In this case the exh housings are different for fan fit so you have the change the whole turbo and not just change the center section with compressor housing. Another terminology item you may find is "CHRA". That stands for center housing rotating assembly which is the center section with the full turbo shaft with fans and the compressor housing all assembled. The CHRA fits into exhaust housing and the two have a flange with the back side of flange surfaces finished with a bevel. A clamp with a V profile tighten over the flange area pulls the two parts together and secures them. http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/expert ... they-work/ has a great cutaway with these features (and more) shown.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post