IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2009 S60 keys won't turn in door lock - SOLVED (kinda)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

HappyDude
Year and Model: 2009 S60 2.5T AWD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
HappyDude

2009 S60 keys won't turn in door lock - SOLVED (kinda)

Post by HappyDude » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:26 am

Salutations, All!

I've been scouring the web trying to find this precise symptom with no luck. I have spent hours looking and it is with reluctance that I now turn to the forums.

Thanks in advance for taking time out of your day to help.

2009 S60 2.5T AWD

Car is in great shape, never wrecked, 80K miles, no codes, 2 functioning key fobs.

My wife borrowed my S60 the other day. She complained afterwards that she couldn't get the remote to lock/unlock the doors, and I imagine she tried many, many times. She had to rely on the key, which fortunately worked for her.

I went out to the car to take a look and I couldn't insert either key into the door lock completely at all! There was no way it would have worked.

I then tried to insert both keys into the ignition. Neither key would insert into the ignition completely, so there was no way I was even starting the car.

In both cases, it felt like an old style key that was being pushed into the wrong lock. They just wouldn't go in!

I Googled around and stumbled on similar situations, but nothing identical. I found a thread with instructions to reset the immobilizer (5X lock/unlock with remote) so I tried it. I don't recall if it worked immediately, or if it didn't ... but I am now able to insert both keys into door lock and the ignition and start the car and I still can.

While both keys now insert completely into the driver's door lock, I cannot turn either key to lock or unlock the door. Recall that my wife was able to do so when she borrowed the car. It's not cold here, so it's not frozen. Neither key budges in either direction at all. Not like it wants to turn and gets hung up on something, almost feels like something is designed to prevent it from turning.

Back to Google. I found a UEM reset procedure (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40932) but that has not helped.

My S60 has the passenger window bounce issue, and this procedure did not help that problem either.

Any who, I'm stuck.

Ring true to anyone?

Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by HappyDude on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: 2009 S60 keys won't turn in door lock

Post by oragex » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:18 am

Maybe a previous owner used the wrong fluid to lubricate these barrels. Squeezing some proper fluid inside the barrel is worth a try but maybe not the common WD 40 because this gets frozen in cold weather. Try as well to clean each key and put a little bit of engine oil on the blade before inserting it. Mind you, clean the keys when leaving the car so you don't mess your pants or jacket 8)

Once the key inserted, try the following.

Insert the key in the door, then try will very little force to turn it right (it won't turn at all), then left (it won't work either), then right again and so on. NO force, just a little bit of pressure. Try like this for 30 seconds or so, keep turning even if it still doesn't want to turn at all.

Next, do the same for the ignition barrel, but you will want to undo the car battery and leave the trunk open when doing so.

Careful with the ignition barrel, these can get damaged if the steering is locked and the key is forced to turn. When working with the key, try to force the steering by hand to keep it in a position slightly away from the steering lock position. When my steering is locked and it feels like it has some 'pressure' on it, I always turn it slightly into the opposite position while inserting and turning the key. A must to the wife to do so every time :)

Another explication is someone inserted some 'dirt' into the barrels, maybe even the keys got something on them from the pockets, and that 'dirt' got stuck into the tiny balls inside the barrel.

Finally, you may want to do the same with the trunk lock (look from underneath at the left of the plate.

HappyDude
United States of America
HappyDude

Post by HappyDude » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

To clarify:

The symptom I was first experiencing with both door lock and ignition was that neither key would insert completely into either one.

I can now insert both keys into the door lock and into the ignition like butter!

Neither key can turn in the door lock. This does not feel like a lubrication issue. It feels like a mechanical stop that's preventing either key from turning the door lock. It's almost as if the keys (or the chip in the fobs) don't belong to this car, and there's a security thing that prevents improper keys from unlocking the door. I don't think that's the situation though, because the car starts with either key and both fobs lock and unlock the car just fine (now anyway).

Both keys (smoothly and easily) turn the ignition switch and start the car. It never felt to me like the steering wheel was locked and applying pressure (I'm familiar with this scenario) ... so this is totally baffling!

Thanks again for the suggestions and for taking the time to explain so clearly. I'll try the lube and the other suggestions and post results!

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:29 am

There's no such security/transponder lockout on the door lock cylinder. Sounds like the lock cylinder either froze up from corrosion/dirt or there's a foreign object jammed in there. I found a piece of plastic jammed down into the door lock cylinder when I bought my S60. I found it when I disassembled the lock cylinder trying to figure out why it didn't work. Probably a juvenile prank that was played on the PO. Or some worse plot: the PO's address on the title bordered a gang infested neighborhood of SW city of Chicago that I would be hesitant to get out of the car or drive through certain times of day. Every so often the local news talks about some crafty new tactic thieves have come up with while trying to rob or carjack people.

As I recall, the lock cylinder is held in place to the door handle assembly by a retention clip of sorts. The whole thing wiggles/turns just a little bit when inner cylinder won't turn to lock/unlock.

HappyDude
United States of America
HappyDude

Re: 2009 S60 keys won't turn in door lock - SOLVED (kinda)

Post by HappyDude » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:32 pm

@oragex and @mrbrian200,

Thank you both so much! The help and humor is much appreciated!!! Your input encouraged me to try from fresh perspectives with more knowledge and it paid off.

Remember that I stated earlier I was originally unable to insert the key into the door lock or ignition switch completely? Well, it turns out that even though it went into the door lock more than it did when I first had the problem, it was not inserting all the way. It stopped (for reasons unknown) about 1/16" (or less) shy of all the way in. Probably one or more of the reasons both of you stated in your replies.

I tried wiggling up down, left right, twisting left/right many times slowly, quickly ... all to no avail. I then tried easing the key out just a hair thinking maybe it had gone in too far, that didn't help. I then pushed the key back into door lock to return it to where I thought was completely seated, and it chunked past that point and went in just a little further! I immediately thought, "No way." Turned the key both ways, locked and unlocked without so much as a catch. Butter : )

Now, when pushing either key into the door lock, I detect a slight pause at just shy of completely inserted. With the slightest amount of pressure, it slips past that stop and seats completely. Again, both keys exhibiting the same symptom. Feels like something with the lock itself.

Totally baffled by the original symptom, but the keys work. I'm not going to look this gift horse in the mouth.

In the meantime, if anyone reads this and has any thoughts about the original symptom (keys not inserting into door lock or ignition switch), I'd appreciate a reply.

Hope my experience helps someone else out some day.

As always, thanks for being such a great group of willing contributors!