IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

ADDING Rear Parking Sensors & parking aid 06 V70R

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

pdr1966sc
Year and Model: 2006 V70R

ADDING Rear Parking Sensors & parking aid 06 V70R

Post by pdr1966sc »

Does anyone know if it is possible/practical to add the sensors +?? to achieve the factory backup sensor / parking aid to a car which did not have it originally?
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Re: ADDING Rear Parking Sensors & parking aid 06 V70R

Post by mrbrian200 »

Possible yes. Practical? Probably not. I considered doing this to my car using stuff off a pick and pull vehicle. As it's not a standalone system, vehicle programming is involved, I decided it looked like more trouble than it's worth. My plan is to someday get an aftermarket HU with backup camera function that would be 10x more useful and 100x easier to install than the sensors that merely make beeping noises.
precopster
Year and Model: Lots

Post by precopster »

If it was an option at the factory it can be programmed in at the dealer with a software download once the appropriate OEM sensors have been fitted.

If I didn't have the high end sound system in my 2001 T5 I would have installed an aftermarket head unit years ago...just can't bring myself to go with a head unit that will possibly last <2 years.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 »

Replacing the HU is relatively simple. Adding the parking sensors requires both an AEM (not all cars were factory equipped), as well as a separate park sensor control module, and adding the button on the CCM. There are two software packages that need to be downloaded into the vehicle.
Whether this can be added in a 'cost conscious' manner, making it practical, probably depends on whether used AEM and park sensor modules can be reprogrammed to a different vehicle or whether, like the ECU, they have to be unmarried from their original vehicle first making most used ones you might find on ebay or at a pick and pull effectively useless. That's about how far I got before deciding it just looked like more trouble than it was worth.
pdr1966sc
Year and Model: 2006 V70R

Post by pdr1966sc »

Thanks for the heads up, I will maybe continue from what you learned after I get more TO DO's off the list
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Quite a common option on UK and maybe cars from other areas. Maybe ask the people there for more info and also check the UK Ebay for parts https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Had to say I also drive a more recent Hyundai with a great back up camera - good for maneuvering, but nothing beats the beeping of a sensor because your can still keep your eyes on the 'road' while maneuvering.

But here's what I did and it's got to be one of the best mods I did on this cars (along with a dash mat to cut windshield reflection). Still works fine 2 years later, I could not do without it now. It always gave me the correct distance reading.

mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 »

Come to think of it, there are aftermarket parking sensors that might be a lot easier to deal with (because they are designed as standalone/not integrated into the vehicle systems/software) than trying to retrofit the OE package. I glanced at this option as well, but found a 'stopper' that would apply to my vehicle. The preferred aftermarket systems use sensors that stick to the inside of the bumper cover so as to be an 'invisible' installation. Metallic paint causes issues with these. Seems the metallic paint blocks the radar signal/system can't 'see' through it and it doesn't work. Nor can you paint over 'oe style' sensors that are mounted through holes made in the bumper cover.
If you don't have metallic paint (I do and I'm not sorry - it looks beautiful) you can use any of these aftermarket systems, from what I gathered there is a rough correlation between price & quality.
precopster
Year and Model: Lots

Post by precopster »

Though this is not a parking sensor, I really like the beeping reverse globes which warn pedestrians and other road users of your intention to reverse. Of course they would also wake up the neighbors on entry/exit to your home, but you've got to like your neighbors before that becomes a consideration :D
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

precopster wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:03 pm Though this is not a parking sensor, I really like the beeping reverse globes which warn pedestrians and other road users of your intention to reverse. Of course they would also wake up the neighbors on entry/exit to your home, but you've got to like your neighbors before that becomes a consideration :D

I like the idea too. It is easy to implement as a standard mandatory equipment for car makers, along with the reverse lights. We have these mandatory for transport trucks, so why not make it mandatory for any vehicle, a $2-3 device would do https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12V-Auto-War ... Sw1nRbAjh9