IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Pressure/Temperature Sensor OR Fuel Pressure Sensor

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

adrian22
Year and Model: s60 2006
Has thanked: 0
Aruba
adrian22

Pressure/Temperature Sensor OR Fuel Pressure Sensor

Post by adrian22 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 am

I am confused about what part I need to fix my code P0089 (Fuel Pressure Control Performance CEL)
Amazon is selling 2 different parts names with same part # and shape
Both will fit to my xc70 2005 but which one I need?
see it here
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ure+Sensor
adrian22

adrian22
Aruba
adrian22

Re: Pressure/Temperature Sensor OR Fuel Pressure Sensor

Post by adrian22 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 am

I have P0089 code that was not fixed by replacing the end or fuel rail sensor--I found that with code P0089 if you replace fuel pressure sensor will not fix it --you need to replace the fuel pressure regulator

Code P0193 "fuel rail press sensor A circuit high input" is fixed by replacing the fuel pressure sensor

Is this true?
adrian22

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 pm

The fuel pressure sensor on that car is the piece made integral to the fuel pump module tank opening cap. It can't be replaced without replacing the whole fuel pump/cup assembly. What are you replacing?

To answer the original question, the sensors shown are the same. The fuel pressure sensor on the end of the fuel rail is also a fuel temp sensor. Before the sensor is changed you need to know if the sensor is communicating a wrong fuel pressure. The pressure is checked with fuel pressure gauge attached to fuel rail and monitoring the fuel pressure with a capable tool. The value on some tools is shown as absolute which i 14.5 psi/100kpa above the gauge pressure. Once engine runs for 60 seconds the fuel pressure on that car should be 43.5 psi/300 kpa on your gauge. The fuel pressure can be low or high and cause that problem. On volvos it is usually low when it sets. It can be low for many reasons. The sensor is one, bad fuel pump or blocked filter, the fuel pump control module or PEM that is the transistor fuel pump current regulator is faulty, or the connections at the PEM are corroded or burned. The ECM expects the PEM signal to be within 25% to 40% at idle when fuel pressure target is 300 kPa and there is elevated fuel pressure when first started and when engine load is high. If the fuel pressure at those times when it should be higher also cause out of range control signal then 0089 is set.
I had that code on my 2004 V70R and it would not make the target fuel pressure when I accelerated and the signal was always higher than normal. I could use a scan tool and command an ECM fuel pump test and the pump would not go above 425 kpa (supposed to go to 630-660 at the end phase of test). I had to replace the whole fuel pump assembly as the fuel pressure regulator was not available as a spare part and is molded into the fuel pump assembly cap. I checked my PEM and the connector for PEM and directly connected power and ground to the pump connector and it still failed to go over 425 kPa.

adrian22
Aruba
adrian22

Post by adrian22 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks for reply-
At the suggestion of my mechanic
I replaced The fuel pressure sensor on the end of the fuel rail -still did not fixed the code P0089 (Fuel Pressure Control Performance CEL) As you said the code refers to fuel pressure regulator that is part of the pump and not the sensor at the rail-so more likely is the pump or fuel pump control module--I understand (and mechanic confirmed )that is very unlikely to be the fuel filter with this code
The filter is original with 125K miles
How difficult is to change the pump? Is it easy accessible or do I have to drop the tank?
adrian22

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:25 pm

See this site Fcpeuro
Check their fitting section

Most sensors are either for turbo or for non turbo engines. When the number is different it may be because these fit only on some engines so may have a different bracket or bolt hole

Many engines didn't even had this sensor at all

adrian22
Aruba
adrian22

Post by adrian22 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 am

I ordered the same Bosh sensor w/ same number as the old one-still did not fixed the engine light but car runs fine no problems -I am afraid the pump is going bad
These users thanked the author adrian22 for the post:
johnboy77
adrian22