IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

short test run - minimum of parts installed after timing belt

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

pdr1966sc
Year and Model: 2006 V70R
Has thanked: 0
Canada
pdr1966sc

short test run - minimum of parts installed after timing belt

Post by pdr1966sc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm

I want to start/run VERY briefly before I completely close things up after timing belt and PCV work.

Yesterday I had it all buttoned up and no start - poor sounding - Exahaust cam was 180 off. Today I resolved that and have everything setup and just want to burp it before putting everything back together.

This evening I set the MAF in place, but no firing - I do not have the crank PULLEY on, nor the serpentine belt.

Ran out of time at that point.
I may have to pull plugs and see if there is excess fuel from yesterdays attempted start, and while there - do a compression test to verify the valves are in proper timing - but it does sound normal on the starter, just no firing.

PR

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
chrism

Re: short test run - minimum of parts installed after timing belt

Post by chrism » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:51 am

I've started the engine momentarily without the accessory belt on, however I had the crank pulley installed. If you don't have the crank pulley on, what will keep the sprocket in place?

By cranking the engine over with the exhaust cam being 180 out you may have cooked the goose. Instead of the valve opening on the up stroke it was opening on the down stroke. So if the valve normally starts to open just before the BOTTOM of the preceding stroke, then at 180 out it would have started opening just before the TOP of the preceding stroke - a possible recipe for disaster. I don't know how much overlap there is in these engines. You should probably run a compression check to see if all is well. You may have dodged a bullet.

When you first put the belt on (with the cam out of time) did you pull the plugs and crank the engine by hand through a few revolutions to feel for any piston/valve interference?

atikovi
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:38 am

Does the engine use a crank sensor and doesn't the crank pulley have to be on for that to work? If not, don't all the air ducts have to be in place to start it?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:19 pm

The only test run to do is with hand cranking the engine over and confirming the timing marks line up. I don't see why you would run the engine here - no value at all.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary