IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Manually rotating camshafts by hand using camshaft locking tool, did I damage the valves? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

TheMrFailz
Year and Model: 2002 V70 2.4T

Manually rotating camshafts by hand using camshaft locking tool, did I damage the valves?

Post by TheMrFailz »

So while I was doing a timing belt job (not done yet, parts supplier forgot to send a part and is resending) / intake cam seal replacement I got to the point where I was locking up the camshafts using one of those rear-camshaft-lock tools.
https://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_p ... _12733.jpg

Belt was off and I figured I'd just make use of the lock tool to set their position to the timing spot as they were somewhat close as shown:
(note: bars are cut such that they make a flat bar across when bolted together, not shown)

Problem was though that I had to get the exhaust and intake locking bars to line up to bolt them together. To do that I rotated them as noted by the red arrows:

While I was rotating the exhaust camshaft I felt it rapidly starting to resist before suddenly going freely again and I was worried that I may have bent it but I wasn't sure if it could have also been it trying to do compression. Do note that the crank was at the timing mark (notched teeth inline with the post / mark) and the exhaust was moved before the intake.

Thoughts?
Professional jerry-rigger.
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Re: Manually rotating camshafts by hand using camshaft locking tool, did I damage the valves?

Post by oragex »

I am no expert, but I was able to do a few camshaft turns at the junkyard by hand as well. Really not too hard - not much force required. I don't feel that could have bent a valve
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: Manually rotating camshafts by hand using camshaft locking tool, did I damage the valves?  Topic is solved

Post by SuperHerman »

If your crank as set at the timing mark you should be fine. From what I understand the crank timing mark is 20 degrees BTDC.

See here for an explanation as to why: viewtopic.php?t=72757

What you felt was the valve springs pushing the cam lobes as the cam was being rotated.
Goldchemist
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T AWD

Re: Manually rotating camshafts by hand using camshaft locking tool, did I damage the valves?

Post by Goldchemist »

Wow, nice figures on this post. That is exactly the same situation I am in. What did you end up doing? My locking tool is in exactly the same position that your figure shows and I'm not sure if I can just use the tool to line em up and lock it.

Thanks.
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

As long as the crankshaft is on the timing mark, you are good to rotate the cams.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Post by Rattnalle »

Even if the camshaft isn't on the mark, would rotating by hand really be enough to damage anything? Just curious since it's not anywhere near the same kind of force involved as you'd get if starting the engine.
abscate
MVS Moderator

Post by abscate »

If you stopped on contact you will he fine. I’m sure if you gorilla the crank pulley you could damage something.
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary
Goldchemist
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T AWD

Post by Goldchemist »

Jeez I don't know how everyone keeps these threads separate in their heads. So I read in a post somewhere that you can use the locking tool to adjust the cams. And I did just that and it worked out fine. Now I'm just trying to pinpoint the true source of my oil leak. Can't see how its the camshaft seals. There is no oil leaking from them, just oil pooled up behind them. Hard to follow the path the oil would take in there. is it being pushed out the inner edge of the seal? Meanwhile I'm expecting it to come from the outer edge of the seal? I'm attaching a picture which I hope you can see that the oil is not leaking out the outer edge of the orange seals, but its pooled up behind them. would you say that changing the seals would stop the leak?

by the way, I've already put in a new PCV breather box and made sure there was a clear path to the oil pan so there should be no pressure build up, also changed the oil pump gasket and seal, timing belt, tensioner etc. hoping these new seals will stop the leak.

Thanks!!!!
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (101.84 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
abscate
MVS Moderator

Post by abscate »

You have run 26 miles of the Marathon and are wondering if you should finish!

Replace it.
Empty Nester
Link To Volvo Glossary
DRN2001
Year and Model: 2007 XC70

Post by DRN2001 »

Hi Folks
I’m reading this post and have a similar problem: I accidentally moved my crank pulley quite a bit when installing a new timing belt. I moved it back to the timing marks and put the new belt on. All The timing marks now line up. I’ve turned the engine over with a ratchet on the crank and everything seems okay but could I have messed up the timing when I moved the crank and then moved it back? Cheers!