IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Code 643a after timing belt job

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

TheMrFailz
Year and Model: 2002 V70 2.4T
United States of America
TheMrFailz

Code 643a after timing belt job

Post by TheMrFailz » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:33 am

Well I had a feeling something stupid would happen. Was driving my car around the driveway just to make sure it wouldn't explode after doing a timing belt job. Let the car idle to hot nothing bad happened until I turned the car back on a few minutes later so I could fix its parking spot. Upon turning it on I got 643a flashing and then solid. According to my maxidiag tool it's a camshaft position code for the exhaust which I'm confused about because I had it locked up in the back to the intake camshaft using a cam shaft locking tool. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I had the actual cam pulley itself set wrong or something as I didn't see any particular info on where to set it since it's a VVT cam and adjusts independantly. In this case I set the cam pulley to have it's timing mark be as close to the cover timing marks as possible.

2002 v70 2.4t, 184k miles, brand new belts.

edit:

I think I may have spotted my issue:

@~2:50 he mentions that some are spring loaded some are not (mine isn't) and that you're supposed to manually rotate them back on the non spring loaded versions whereas I, going by the mark, basically had it all the way forward.
Professional jerry-rigger.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Code 643a after timing belt job

Post by RickHaleParker » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:10 pm

You do have a different VVT.

ECM-643A is a timing issue.
The control module checks that the camshaft is in the correct position in relation to the position of the crankshaft. If the position of the camshaft is incorrect, the control module will adjust the adaptation for the camshaft. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-643A or ECM-644A is stored if the adaptation becomes too great. Most likely you did not get the VVT aligned to the camshafts.

Note! This procedure must be carried out with precision as any deviation could generate a fault symptom.

This is the tool kit:

1. Remove timing belt.
2. Align and lock down the crankshaft with the crankshaft alignment tool.
3. Align and lock down the camshafts with the camshafts alignment tool.

4. Align the VVT to the camshafts: Note! Oil the center screw before installation.

Push on the variable valve timing unit/timing gear pulley on the camshaft.
Install the center screw (1) which secures the variable valve timing unit to the camshaft. Tighten slightly.
Slacken off, but do not remove the screws (2) which secure the timing gear pulley to the variable valve timing unit.

Turn the timing gear pulley until the screws at the oval holes are in the center position. Tighten the screws (2) slightly.

Turn the variable valve timing unit clockwise to its limit position so that the unit is in its end position.
Position the upper timing cover

Undo the center screw and continue turning clockwise until the timing gear pulley marking aligns with the marking on the upper timing cover.

Tighten the center screw in the variable valve timing unit. Tighten. See: Tightening torque:Summary of specific components and tightening torques .

Variable valve timing center screw 120 Nm
Variable valve timing center plug 35 Nm

5. Install timing belt
6 Remove alignment tools.
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold