IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
I'll be performing maintenance on the server March 31. I'll try my best to make interruptions as painless as possible. Thanks for your understanding.
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

S60 NA new timing belt, cam seals, oil pump gasket, crank seal

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: S60 NA new timing belt, cam seals, oil pump gasket, crank seal

Post by oragex » Fri May 24, 2019 5:29 pm

ashgoldS60 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:10 pm
do they really get pushed out of the bore or just partial and enough to leak? Is the new timing belt toast once it gets oil coated?
These seals must be seated at a precise position, there is a notch on the outer head edge, I believe the seal is seated flush with this notch, if they are pushed further more they will leak (I assume the PCV breather is not clogged)

See at around 3:00 the notch I'm talking about (at the bottom, on each side), the seals sit flush with it

ashgoldS60
Year and Model: 2001 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ashgoldS60

Post by ashgoldS60 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:38 pm

pulled timing belt cover and definitely oil traces but don't see leak as it's idling.If its due to PCV pressure I'm confused when looked at Vadis for this engine. non-turbo shows 3 hoses and bottom port connector on oil separator. how does this thing function? Vadis says remove oil filler cap and inlet nipple and blow through to see if clear? what are they talking about. what is the flow path through these hoses?
The inlet manifold has counterbore on one end with hose going into. I cant see clearly but this must be one of hoses connected to PCV box. The hose feels weird though, feels like a spongy insulator over a harder line. The other hoses would be one coming up to valve cover, the larger hose going to the block and finally the small connector for bottom port

ashgoldS60
Year and Model: 2001 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ashgoldS60

Post by ashgoldS60 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:38 pm

so I did some more digging and the N/A engine uses an oil collector box that is very different than the turbo version. saw a youtube vid of one that was cut open after replacement. the N/A type has some kind of diaphragm inside as well as some metal structure. so apparently these get jammed up. still would like to know how these function but I think this car is headed anywhere but my garage. got this car with 32k on it and after 9 years of fixing stuff on it this is the worst designed car I have owned. way too many hours crawling under a car with only 118,000 on it. My Sabb and Ford Aerostar went to 200k with 10 percent of the work I put into this P2.