IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Why did the oil cap and oil dip stick fly into the air

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

grammagrace
Year and Model: 1998 V70

Why did the oil cap and oil dip stick fly into the air

Post by grammagrace »

Cold, cold day and one of several....car started right up and seemed to run fine for such a cold day. Didn't really push her to get up the large hill going out of town, maybe up to 50 miles an hour, when it sort of coughed a couple of times, I let off the gas, and it smoothed out. Pulled up the stop sign and it died out on trying to go again. Couldn't get it to start. Low on fuel so suspected condensation in tank so added some gas and tried again. Tried to turn over then boom - the oil cap and dip stick fly into the air and that seems to be all she wrote! What the heck happened?? Motor replaced just last year and have had some small leaks that I've been trying to solve ever since and now this!! WHat made the oil cap and dip stick fly sky high? Is this motor blown too? Motor number three for this car....shaking my head.....any ideas appreciated.
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Re: Why did the oil cap and oil dip stick fly into the air

Post by oragex »

Like this ?
That's when the PCv is badly clogged - may save it but I'd say if the car has many miles it may be time to let it go. When it's badly clogged you get other problems including leaking engine seals and worse, lack of lubrication

Have a look at the timing belt while there

grammagrace

Post by grammagrace »

We had blown out the PCV a few months ago....as I recall it hadn't been too bad...
I'm not near the car now, but will look into these suggestions.
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

Couple things - first if the block was not cleaned out when the PCV was serviced this is most likely the problem.

Second, in extreme cold weather, if the engine does not get warm enough, the air and combustion moisture will freeze and form a clot that could cause what you describe. Very common on certain BMW engines.
crlande
Year and Model: 240DL;850;S70

Post by crlande »

I think we might need a better clarification of your "blown out the PCV" comment.
grammagrace

Post by grammagrace »

Cleared it out I guess would be a better way to put it.
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Check the fuel pressure regulator for gas leaks. You might have had a crankcase fuel explosion rather than a blocked PCV
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Post by mrbrian200 »

abscate wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:08 pm You might have had a crankcase fuel explosion rather than a blocked PCV
That's what I was thinking. Boom while trying to restart a stalled engine was the tip off.
grammagrace

Post by grammagrace »

Thanks all for the input! Once we got the car to a garage, (was dead on a hill in negative wind chill temps) and replaced the weak battery we could smell the rotten eggs. So once that is replaced, I'm hoping I'm good to go for a while at least. I do appreciate all the helpful people on here - I've lurked for ages and learned a lot! Thanks ;-)