IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Von Baron's second 2005 XC70

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

vonbaron
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Australia
vonbaron

Von Baron's second 2005 XC70

Post by vonbaron » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:34 am

Note: Due to a server update issue, this post from March 25 went to the bit bucket.
But fortunately I kept a copy of text and still had an open tab in FireFox with this post as it was late evening March 25th. I have included the two replies made as of late yesterday before the server was reverted back to previous version.

A few weeks ago, while browsing an online market place we have here in Australia called 'Gumtree', a bit like leboncoir in France and I guess many other similar sites, I found a 2005 XC70, same as the one I already have, but higher trim level. It was not far away, at the other end of our small island down here.

It was initially up for around $AUD3300, going, but with the typical transmission issues from what the person selling it described. Then the advertisement disappeared for a day or two, and I thought, 'oh, I guess someone has bought it'. But then the ad re-appeared, but this time saying the car had a more major issue with the transmission and was asking AUD1500.

After a quick bit of negotiating we settled on a figure of AUD550 for the vehicle de-registered, which I thought was pretty darn good. Actually, all I wanted was the tow hitch on the back, and a few other bits and pieces. But now I had all the bits and pieces I wanted for my existing 2005 XC70. It has 169k km, so not too high I think. My other existing XC70 is similar at around 175k km.

As the vehicle was not drive-able due to a transmission issue, I phoned around for a good price to get it transported from the south of the island to my place. Got a good rate from a transport company just down the road and got it organised for $AUD400 cash in hand.

So, for $AUD950, I now have this second 2005 XC70 sitting here.
XC70_delivery.png
Delivery of 2005 XC70
XC70_delivery.png (571.46 KiB) Viewed 163 times
It appears the car has been fairly well looked after in all other respects, interior and from log books, all except for no transmission service.
XC70_interior.png
Nice Interior
XC70_interior.png (506.63 KiB) Viewed 163 times
Last Sunday, I removed the existing tow bar and wiring, taking care to note how they wired the trailer lights into the existing wiring.
I thought these need the trailer electronic module, part 4/110. It doesn't seem that it is needed then ?
XC70_tow_hitch_removal.png
Tow Hitch Removal
XC70_tow_hitch_removal.png (716.72 KiB) Viewed 163 times
I removed the extra jump seats in the very back, I have no need for them. The seller kindly supplied all the fittings for the vehicle to be put back to standard five person seating.

Then I placed the jack stands under the front so I could get a closer look at what the exact problem is.
I removed the splash guard and saw the awful mess of oil splashed everywhere. Dark wet dripping oil, not a nice sight.
From the photos he sent me from under the car with the splash guard removed, I concluded that the problem appeared to be a blown seal on the output shaft that feeds into the angle gear. I thought, okay, I can do this.

After giving the whole area a good wash from above and below so I could get a closer look at it today after drying overnight, I found to my utter dismay that, no, it was not the output shaft seal, but, instead, the oil appears to be leaking from the small drain hole between engine and transmission. It would appear to me to be the transmission input shaft seal. Oh sh!te I thought.

it's not engine oil, as the engine runs fine and engine oil level is fine. I knew the problem was with the transmission and the black icky stuff that looks like old engine oil, is in fact transmission fluid. The transmission dip stick confirms - no ATF.
XC70_underside_view_of_oil_leak.png
View of where oil is leaking
XC70_underside_view_of_oil_leak.png (523.91 KiB) Viewed 163 times
I'm still thinking that this car is too good to scrap and I'm sure that with the transmission fixed it would be a great vehicle for many years yet. Everything else is in pretty good order, air conditioning is going well. From the service sheets I have, a new Bosch MAF unit was installed not too long ago, timing belt was changed at 148k km, about 22k km ago. All electrics, sunroof work great.

I've been looking at what is involved in dropping the whole engine unit out and pulling transmission off to get looked at. But I'm not sure how best to go about it, as I would be doing it in situ as seen in the photos, with no lift. I guess the vehicle would need to be lifted quite a bit to be able to pull out the whole engine and transmission on sub-frame clear from the car itself. It would be awkward for sure and not a lightweight thing either. I could get it back onto a truck and have it taken into a shop in the city where they will have a lift

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions or advice on how to proceed ?

Von Baron :)

Note: Because the server went AWOL and Matthew reverted back to the old server until issues are sorted, I happen to have a copy of this post with two replies still in another open tab in FireFox, which I will copy and insert below, if that is okay to do.
First post was from Antoine240bk on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:10 am
Good deal if you can sorted the transmission leak at a lower expanse!
Second post was from veektor on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:11 am
I recently swapped the engine on my S60, and I had spent quite a bit of time researching the ways to get the engine out of the bay. I ruled out the bottom removal because I wouldn't be able to lift up the car body high enough. When I pulled the engine on Subaru a few years ago, I rented the engine lift (a.k.a. cherrypicker) from the nearby hardware store. It cost about $50/day, but because I screwed things up, I had to rent it three times. This time I found someone selling an engine lift in my area and bought the darn thing. Cost about as much as three days of rental, but there is no hurry with having to return it. My wife is not thrilled with having such a bulky piece of equipment sitting around the garage, so eventually I'll put it up for sale.

When pulling the engine out I chose to disconnect it from the transmission. In retrospect, I should have listened to those who advised pulling both together. I chose to pull out the transmission out of the bay, bolted it on to the new engine, and installed them back together. Load leveler was an important and indispensable piece of equipment for both, removal, and installation.
IMG_1044.JPG
Photo from veektor
IMG_1044.JPG (221.52 KiB) Viewed 163 times
IMG_0924.JPG
Photo from veektor
IMG_0924.JPG (376.19 KiB) Viewed 163 times

MacNoob
Year and Model: 2007 XC70
Canada
MacNoob

Re: Von Baron's second 2005 XC70

Post by MacNoob » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:15 am

Wow, look at that gorgeous wood wheel. Car looks in excellent shape, hope you can resolve the transmission issue.

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Re: Von Baron's second 2005 XC70

Post by precopster » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 am

Definitely go with pulling the engine from the top separately instead of dropping the entire assembly. It's a little tricky accessing the torque converter T40s but you can do so from the starter hole or from the slot underneath.

Lifting both from the top is also doable but on an AWD just more stuff to disconnect.

Disconnecting angle gear and central drive shaft can be a real PITA. Raising vehicle high enough to clear the assembly is also a huge challenge when dropping the whole assembly.

Make sure you get yourself a fuel line disconnect tool

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.