IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo Wholesale Parts - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

New Member New to Volvo

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Saltyvolvo
Year and Model: 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Saltyvolvo

Re: New Member New to Volvo

Post by Saltyvolvo » Fri May 24, 2019 11:17 pm

kallekula wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:28 am
Saltyvolvo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:57 pm
It’s leaking from under the car. It’s the gas tank but I’m not sure where. I haven’t really looked.

I smelled burning oil when I stopped today. The oil was near the bottom of the ok marks. I topped it off with 5w-20. I got pictures of the dash lights.

I still haven’t fixed anything. Here’s some pictures. Alarm System is a new light.
Alarm system warning might be because of a faulty alarm module, had that problem on a V70 I used to own. It also affected the operation of the sunroof. The module is located in front of the passenger front wheel, remove the wheel liner and you'll see it.
So I should change it?

Saltyvolvo
United States of America
Saltyvolvo

Post by Saltyvolvo » Fri May 24, 2019 11:20 pm

My first 2 concerns are the oil burning and the gas leak.

1. Should I drop the tank and look for cracks? How do I do that and how do I fix a crack I find?

2. The oil burning is a leak somewhere under the hood. BMWs are known for valve cover gasket and oil Filter housing gaskets failing on all used cars. What is probably leaking on mine?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sat May 25, 2019 5:15 am

If the PCV plugs, cam seals push out on Volvos, which cause big oil leaks.

A used gas tank I still best option for the leak. Once you drop it, you probably will find it’s just a hose repair, though.

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

tardcart
Year and Model: 96 850t. 93 940t
United States of America
tardcart

Post by tardcart » Sat May 25, 2019 5:33 am

do the "glove test" For PCV pressure. the oil light points toward the sensor being bad or disconnected

Saltyvolvo
United States of America
Saltyvolvo

Post by Saltyvolvo » Sun May 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Guys I really like Crutchfield. They make installs really easy on just about everything I’ve worked on until this car. I even bought the ready harness service. My install on the spyder took maybe 30 mins using the ready harness service.

My wife wanted a radio with GPS and a backup camera. I’ve got the camera installed and wires ran. I’ve got the gps antenna wire and microphone for the hands free radio tucked and ready to plug in. Then I tried to hook up the wire harness. I’ve got a antenna hook up, 2 circle connections?, and a green connector from the factory. From Crutchfield I have a green big connection, Gray big connection, antenna adapter and that’s it. The radio has its own inputs for the gps and microphone and all the back up camera connections. The green connector fits to the factory but only has power wires. The gray one has all the speaker wires. Noting will hook up to the gray wire. YouTube is worthless on volvo aftermarket stereo installs.

Please help.

Saltyvolvo
United States of America
Saltyvolvo

Post by Saltyvolvo » Sun May 26, 2019 6:25 pm

Here are a few pictures of the install-
The green connector with the most wires is the OEM. The green with few wires is from Crutchfield these wires are 12+, ground, remote on, power antenna. The gray is also from crutchfield. These 2 long leads are for the backup camera. I don’t understand what these multi-pin connectors on the gray and black cables are for.

I also have a picture to show where I put microphones and GPS.

Please help me walk through this and I will document everything and give you the credit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Saltyvolvo on Tue May 28, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saltyvolvo
United States of America
Saltyvolvo

Post by Saltyvolvo » Mon May 27, 2019 9:04 am

Will this work for a 2004 v70?

Saltyvolvo
United States of America
Saltyvolvo

Post by Saltyvolvo » Mon May 27, 2019 9:42 am

The YouTube video above doesn’t seem to work out the same. I got a bunch of wires under the seats but I’m not sure what they’re for and I may have just wasted time pulling them out.

Please someone help. I haven’t found the answers in the search yet.

Saltyvolvo
United States of America
Saltyvolvo

Post by Saltyvolvo » Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 am

Dale at Crutchfield helped me out. I have the wrong harness. They’re sending the right one to me. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-qUfHuYECg ... s&skipvs=T

I’ll get it all together and post pictures. Notice the din has a blue and black and so does the green harness. These colors that match get connected and once everything is plugged in it should work. I have the green one but I need the din to rca. I’ll have it Thursday and get it all terminated.

After my wife gets back from running errands I’ve got to put the parts back together under the seats.

Saltyvolvo
United States of America
Saltyvolvo

Post by Saltyvolvo » Tue May 28, 2019 9:59 pm

To have the backup light come on automatically I need to tap the reverse lights. I have a red wire on trigger wire near the radio that I need to hook up and 3 wires in the back.

The 3 wires I need to tap at the back of the car are a reverse wire trigger, reverse + and a ground. It’s in the back hatch and the wires are loose of the harness near the grommet that goes back into the car besides the left hinge.

Can you help answer these questions-
1. What color wire and where for the reverse trigger in the front?

2. What color wire and where for the trigger wire in or near the hatch?

3. What color wire and where for the reverse + in or near the hatch?

4. Can I tap into any ground for the backup camera ground wire in the rear or should I attach to a chassis ground? Where would you suggest?