IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

PCV R&R - Losing the battle to the dreaded hidden Intake bolt

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: PCV R&R - Losing the battle to the dreaded hidden Intake bolt

Post by abscate » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am

See if you can source a 3/8 or 1/4 extension (whatever size your socket is) with the square offset 45 degrees from each other - that will bring a new orientation of the crow foot into play

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:55 pm

a3inverter - that is the socket I am talking about. It is an incredible tool well worth the cost. I use it more than any other socket in my tool chests.

It has enough swivel to square up to the bolt and is narrow enough to get in to anyplace a 10mm socket can plus its swivel point is low enough to get that angle one needs - finally it is pretty well built and handles 10mm torque requirments without fear.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Interesting, I was just filming something with this today. The non turbo intake manifold along with the later thermostat housing (2003-on) are the worst of all S60 engines when it comes to this lower bolt. This is the configuration I have on my car.

IT IS VERY EASY to drop and loose the socket or an extension

I don't think a 1/4 swivel will fit in there.

Remember, this bolt only needs unscrewed a few times, not fully removed.
Last edited by oragex on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:08 pm

I went to my car (same engine and thermostat as yours) and tried as mentioned above these 1/4" extensions - note that as mentioned, the length of the last extension is important. When turning the socket, keep some pressure on it so the socket doesn't jump off the bolt because indeed it doesn't have a full grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLPu6LeFrBA

XC70Rider
Year and Model: 2007 XC70
United States of America
XC70Rider

Post by XC70Rider » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:30 pm

oragex wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:18 pm
Interesting, I was just filming something with this today. The non turbo intake manifold along with the later thermostat housing (2003-on) are the worst of all S60 engines when it comes to this lower bolt. This is the configuration I have on my car.

Indeed, I reached mine using one long and one short 1/4" extensions with the corresponding 10mm socket (in 1/4"). BUT it was such as 'barely' catch on the bolt, that I now believe it all depends how is the 10mm bolt rotated: in other words, it matters how the hex profile of the bolt head is positioned - in some positions the socket will not be able to slide over it (for example if one hex 'corner' is at 12 o'clock)

Try as mentioned above with two short 1/4 extensions (it won't be easy to place the ratchet)

You may try removing the alternator, this will allow the extensions to sit a little lower and have the socket make a slightly more upwards angle and catch the bolt. You may also try to push off the hose on that sensor nearby, then undo the two 10mm bolts on the sensor - the rear one is very hard to access, then pull the sensor about 1" out (it won't come out fully), and try to make space for the extensions from a different angle.

IT IS VERY EASY to drop and loose the socket or an extension

I don't think a 1/4 swivel will fit in there.

Remember, this bolt only needs unscrewed a few times, not fully removed.
I tried several different wobble joints and they were too thick. After ordering this wobble extension set last year I was finally able to remove that bolt hiding behind the thermostat.

https://www.amazon.com/Wobble-Socket-Ex ... 34&sr=8-10

a3inverter
Year and Model: 2006 V70
United States of America
a3inverter

Post by a3inverter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:10 pm

@OrangeX - Excellent video. Yep, same engine and same clearance issues. That bump on the thermostat housing is the worst. Are those extensions both wobbles? I tried 2 wobbles and a regular socket initially and I couldn't get them to each wobble in the right direction.

Not sure removing the alternator is going to help as the bracket that all the belt driven sub-assemblies hang off of has a horizontal shelf (see below - the shelf is near the top) that I think would prevent one from getting up at the bolt from slightly below horizontal. I didn't really want to screw around with that sensor...good to know it only comes out an inch :).

@SuperHerman - have you been successful on this particular rev of the engine/t-stat housing with the SnapOn?

@XC70Rider - those are the exact wobble extensions I purchased (Pittsburgh is one of the many Harbor Freight house brands) and I can't get them to work. Which 2 and in which order?

I think my next move is to try cutting down a 10mm shallow socket. The shortest "low profile" socket I could find online was 19.0mm

https://store.snapon.com/Low-Profile-So ... 48522.aspx

My off the shelf Craftsman is 22.3mm. I can probably get the length down to about 17mm.

And, if that fails, I'll follow VIDA which suggests removing the thermostat housing first (which suggests removing the serpentine belt and power steering pump). Still going to require some special Torx sockets as the space between the bracket and the T-stat housing is tight.
Attachments
alternator bracket.png
alternator bracket.png (78.18 KiB) Viewed 34 times
Last edited by a3inverter on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 pm

Yes, both 'shiny' extensions are wobble kind, but I had them on the 'fixed' coupling. I have the same extensions set as yours btw.
I think if you have the last one 'wobble' with the socket it will help, however the chances to drop and loose the socket are too big (just lost mine in there)

I was wrong about the alternator, I will edit my post. The way to go is by 'the right side' of that thermostat bump, not by underneath it, so the alternator is not in the way. That's how I got to the bolt in the video above, using a 2" long 1/4 extension at the socket, plus a longer one to attach the ratchet. I tried with a 3" long 1/4" extension at the socket but it didn't work, I think Rattnalle is saying the same thing. I also pushed down on the ratchet to keep the socket from sliding off the bolt because it barely grips it.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:24 pm

I have used the SnapOn 10mm swivel successfully on a 2002 S60 NA, 2001 XC70, 2002 XC70 and 2004 XC90 in every location a straight 10mm would not have worked. Without looking at them side by side I can not claim 100% it will work, but when I have used it on above listed cars I had no issues. I just attach it to a 12" or longer straight extension and it does the job.

Because the way it is built, it doesn't go wide like a straight swivel does - as the link picture shows it stays the same width. Usually a straight 1/4" swivel is wider than the 10mm socket and the straight swivel gets funny at its joints while rotating.

Wobble extensions differ from straight ones as they allow some angle yet keep the socket flush. I would think one could grind a 10mm socket shorter and use a wobble extender and have success. Like always one has to see the situation live.

a3inverter
United States of America
a3inverter

Post by a3inverter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:32 pm

@SuperHerman - Yep, makes sense.

a3inverter
United States of America
a3inverter

Post by a3inverter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Needs more grinding, but this is where I'm at. Socket reduced from 22+mm to 17mm in length. Part of the challenge is that the whole socket and extension assembly is pretty floppy (the Snap-On socket appears to be spring loaded so better). I'm thinking some sort of wire bent to the right shape and taped to the assembly is the key to get it in there in the right orientation. Once you get on the bolt, constant pressure will keep it in shape.
Attachments
IMG_3304.JPG