IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2002 volvo s60 2.4t PCV still blocked after service/replacement

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

cfelberg
Year and Model: 2002 s60
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
cfelberg

Re: 2002 volvo s60 2.4t PCV still blocked after service/replacement

Post by cfelberg » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:09 am

- Pete - wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:44 pm
VTL & a few others have posted about this before - glove testing at varying RPM’s & loads. I know he is a firm believer in replacing the expensive pipe that runs from the top of the breather box/oil trap back to the turbo. I personally have only done 4-5 of the PCV system’s & I've never replaced that upper ($175) pipe. I’ve always just checked it to verify it isn’t blocked down near the nipple & none I’ve encountered have been so have always just replaced the nipple & have never had an issue. I’m in no way saying he’s wrong (because he rarely is), just that it could be a possibility.

Pretty much any turbo gasser is gonna have blow by, but I’d think that would be more than normal in your case, if blow by is the culprit.

Did you drop your oil pan at all?
I did replace that pipe you speak of as I got the full kit, but as you indicated mine was not blocked at all down by the PTC. Does he replace the pipe with a stock one or a modified enlarged one? I didn't remove the pan, but did clean out the accessible portion of the ports and was able to blow air through it and felt it come out of oil fill and oil jumped out of opening where dip stick tube had been removed. Did you ever take readings of the amount of pressure at varying RPM's and loads with instrumentation or just the glove?

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:50 pm

That's been my hunch as well with that spendy upper pipe. The bottle-neck is where the PTC nipple ports into it & that's the most likely & most obvious (as well as easiest to check) place for a blockage, thus why I've never replaced one. I figure if you're cooling ok (coolant temp), there are no blockages at that tiny rubber pipe where the PTC nipple plugs in & there are no "large evap leak" type codes I don't really see the point in replacing it. On the pre-06's that upper pipe was covered in a foam type material for insulating purposes. On the 06-07's (maybe 05's too, I don't know since I don't own nor have serviced an 05) they had the updated pipe you can see on FCP, the pipe that has a couple rubber slip joints & an elbow or two.

The only way to monitor oil psi is at the port on the front of the block. I don't even think you can monitor oil psi with ViDA. I'm still trying to get mine working, but I can post back once I get mine going if I'm incorrect on this. I've never, ever read of being able to monitor oil psi via ViDA. The oil psi port/sensor is literally almost dead center on the "front" of the block, just to the drivers side of the oil trap. I can't remember, but is a 19mm or 22mm & is not easy to access. Taking out the radiator fans makes it much less aggravating.

Far as measuring vacuum, you can do it via ELM327 or a manual boost/vacuum gauge. ELM327 data is pretty ambiguous & slow to load, especially on pre-06's, but you can get an idea if you have vacuum present at lower rpms/loads using it. No, I have never measured vacuum at the filler cap, but that may be a good idea. Would be a pretty easy setup, just would need a flat rubber disc type thing, hole in it punched for your vacuum gauge & just have someone (you trust) run the throttle with the car in gear (brake applied of course). Presently, I would not have my wife in the drivers seat with this task.

VTL has a pretty extensive knowledge on this topic so may want to PM him. Sorry I couldn't be of more help in pinpointing your possible occlusion.
These users thanked the author - Pete - for the post:
cfelberg

2001 V70XC 142k
2004 V70 AWD 134k
2004 V70R M66 142k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

cfelberg
Year and Model: 2002 s60
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
cfelberg

Post by cfelberg » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 am

Thanks for the info Pete! I laughed when I read your comment about not asking your wife to take on that task at the moment. When I did the glove test I rigged up a mirror and was able to do it myself.