Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Rear Shocks. Can't access upper mount bolts. Misaligned

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

KurtL
Year and Model: V70 2001

Re: Rear Shocks. Can't access upper mount bolts. Misaligned

Post by KurtL »

I just did this 2 weekends ago on my 05 V70R. Undo the one bolt with the banana shape washer and take the whole unit out from the bottom. I followed the Robert DIY video and used the ratchet strap on it. Thank God you don't have the Monroe electronic suspension shocks. Getting at the passenger side connector was a bitch.
- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's

Post by - Pete - »

KurtL wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:24 pm I just did this 2 weekends ago on my 05 V70R. Undo the one bolt with the banana shape washer and take the whole unit out from the bottom. I followed the Robert DIY video and used the ratchet strap on it. Thank God you don't have the Monroe electronic suspension shocks. Getting at the passenger side connector was a bitch.

Truer words have probably been said, but this ranks right up there with the best of them. If you don't lower the rear subframe, the right rear electrical connector can really make you feel like less of a man. I know I struggled with mine for at least an hour before I finally got it disconnected.
2001 V70XC 151k
2004 V70 AWD 145k
2004 V70R M66 146k
2004 XC70 293k
2006 XC70 155k Sold
Goldchemist
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T AWD

Post by Goldchemist »

Hey Everyone, Job completed. I changed the two front struts. Installed pre-loaded strut assemblies. And the two rear shock absorbers. In hindsight it wasn't that difficult.

I actually used the jack that came with my car to force the rear wheels down enough so that I could get the rear shocks back on their studs. See picture of rear passenger side. And yes, I used the spring compressors rented from Autozone to remove the old shocks from the assembly. Needed to purchase a 'pass-through' socket set from harbor freight for $20 to remove the 18mm nut from the top of the rear shocks. Used a T40 to keep the shock from spinning.

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question but do I absolutely need an alignment after changing all fronts and rears? I've heard you MUST get an alignment, but there have been times when I changed my strut mounts for example and I didn't go get an alignment. The car drove perfectly for years after that, no uneven wear on any of the tires. And I drove it on the highway today and it drove perfectly. This car just seems to have a resilient suspension system. What do you think?

Thanks again for all assistance.
Attachments
Rear passenger 2006 S60 AWD
Rear passenger 2006 S60 AWD
strut 1.jpg (127.48 KiB) Viewed 63 times