IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
MVS-Amazon link helps MVS!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Programming new key/remote

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

FordTaurus00
Year and Model: 2004

Re: Programming new key/remote

Post by FordTaurus00 »

JKXC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:49 am Hi, I just went through this and did it myself. I had the keys programmed by a place in Kansas City that specializes in car keys (https://www.brandtlocksmiths.com). They cut the key for $10 using my valet key to copy it -- though it will be more if they have to look up the key code based on your vin (shipping was about $16 roundtrip). I would call the ahead of time to verify they'll do this for you. I live in a rural area where the only 2 locksmiths here wanted $100 to copy the key, so I found another alternative online.

I bought a key from eBay vendor "wholesale-24-7" and verified beforehand that it came with the seed codes, which it did. The key actually came with a "remotes remotes" card with it, which is an online vendor that shows they sell the keys too. Not sure though if that will be the same item though.

I then programmed it using Volvo's current Vida (downloaded from volvotechinfo.com) on a Windows 10 machine using my DICE clone (which I had been using with the older, Windows 8 VIDA on a virtual machine). As long as you have a seed code with the key you can use the current VIDA to program the key. It costs $75 for a 3-day subscription to activate VIDA through volvotechinfo.com, $87 for the key programming and remote programming (each is an independent purchase through volvotechinfo.com -- one for the key to car and one for the remote).

Fair warning -- the volvotechinfo/VIDA system isn't intuitive but it is workable if you spend some time learning the system and read their directions. The current main VIDA software is very similar to the older version we all use w/ the clones, so if you know that you'll be quickly familiar with the new version. The system to get a username/password is very wonky -- IIRC you have to immediately change your password to it or something weird the first time you log in -- just getting past some of that weirdness takes some doing and a definite understanding that this isn't a consumer-friendly, intuitive system.

IIRC you buy software downloads to VIDA with a separate login and purchase those w/ a credit card, then when you login to VIDA with another login, it will "see" that you have purchased downloads to use. You then run the downloads within VIDA and first program the key to the car, then program the remote to the car. The volvotechinfo.com/VIDA system isn't terrible but it's clearly been cobbled together from two different systems so it is wonky. They do have tech support to help with issues you may encounter, such as failed software downloads and things. The DICE clone was no issue during the entire process FYI.

Good to know as well. I still haven't found someone that can copy my valet key to the flip keys. If I understood you correctly, you mailed your keys to that locksnith. They cut them. And mailed them back?
JKXC
Year and Model: 2005 XC70

Post by JKXC »

Brandt Locksmith had no issue cutting the new key with my valet key. I had an extra normal key but they said just send them the valet and they can use that. So you should be good to go that route. They specialize in car keys so they know what they are doing. I also only sent them the blade end of the key to cut it.
JKXC
Year and Model: 2005 XC70

Post by JKXC »

Sorry, just re-read your question. Yes, I mailed them the valet and the new key blade and they cut them and sent them back. Just give them a call before you do so. I found them via one of their employees on Reddit Locksmith sub who helped me out. It was very fast and the key works perfectly. They are kinda an old-school shop that isn't specializing in doing online/mail orders but I think they'll do it so long as you speak to them first.
Yaworski
Year and Model: 2002 S60

Post by Yaworski »

I found a local locksmith who'd cut the keys, knowing that he couldn't program them. There's a simple workaround for programming.

I went to a junkyard and got a new ring antenna, cost me a few bucks. I then took the steering column covers off, disconnected the existing ring antenna, plugged the junkyard antenna in. I then ziptied the working key to the junkyard ring antenna, experiment with orientation to make sure that it works. Everything was secured in place and the steering column was reassembled.

So the keys cost me about $30 for four, I only needed three but they came in pairs. Cutting all four cost $100.

ETA: That was $130 for four keys and a bit of my time. I needed a spare key for my 2001 V70 and didn't know about the "workaround" so I foolishly went to the dealer and one key with programming cost me $150.