Significant Front Vibration

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive P2 platform cars sold as model years 2001-2007 (North American market year designations).

2001 - 2007 V70
2001 - 2004 V70 XC (Cross Country)
2004 - 2007 XC70 (Cross Country)
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
2004 - 2007 V70 R

VlamingL
Year and Model: 02 v70 XC

Significant Front Vibration

Post by VlamingL »

For the Past few months I have been having significant vibration in the front of the vehicle when going between 25-60 mph. The vibration feels as though it is the whole front of the car and can be felt in the seat, heard in the cup holders but not so much in the steering wheel.

I recently replaced the inner and outer tie-rods and had the car aligned and the tires balanced. The wheel bearings seem to be in good shape when checking with a shake test at 9&3 and 12&6 with the front wheels raised off the ground.

After searching the internet, I convinced myself that the passenger side CV axle was not fully engaged in the angle gear (photo attached) but after looking and actually recording video (old phone taped in there for 10 mins) it does not seem to be vibration? Any other ideas about what I should try before bringing it to a pro?

Thanks!
Attachments
file-3.jpeg

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's

Post by - Pete - »

Here are a couple possibilities:
The front CV joint on your DRIVESHAFT has a torn boot and/or the grease has escaped or solidified.

There is also a good chance one or both of your front CV axles CV joints are bad. If you end up determining this is the culprit I would encourage you to resist the temptation of Chinese/cheap aftermarket CV axles and go straight for GKN/Lobro (new or used low mileage ones).

Is the vibration felt during acceleration, under constant load (driving up a hill while maintaining constant speed), or is it always present?

How many miles are you at?
2001 V70XC 167k
2004 V70 AWD 147k
2004 V70R M66 146k
2004 XC70 299k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

Have you checked your fluid levels? That bevel gear looks like there is a leak. Not saying it is the issue, but prudence says check the level.

As to the issue, check the front CV joint on the drive shaft, they get stiff with age and need to be cleaned and regreased or replaced. The center carrier bearing also fails and causes vibrations.

Blacklab467  
Year and Model: 2003 xc 70

Post by Blacklab467 »

Has it been getting worse over time? Most likely a CV shaft. The depth of the passenger side shaft is determined by the bearing retainer and 2 bolts. The passenger side shaft passes all the way through the bevel gear and into the Transmission, it can’t come out unless the bearing retainer fell off and that wouldn’t happen.
2003 XC 70, 2007 Duramax LBZ.

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc M58

Post by darrylrobert »

i had this same problem, turned out to be a rear tyre had a flat spot. (sitting too long in one spot). i dont have cup holders but the sun visor went crazy with vibrations
1981 260 GLE converted to 240 M46 after auto box failure
1987 740t auto converted to M47
1997 V70t5 auto converted to M56
1998 V70 factory M56 (parts car)
2001 XC70 factory M58
2002 XC70 auto (parts car)

VlamingL

Post by VlamingL »

Thank you all for the responses, this is the first time I've posted and I appreciate all of the help! I want to apologize for any stupid questions in advance as I'm new to this.

The vibration is substantial between 25 and 65 mph until it reaches a frequency that is less noticeable. There are no noticeable differences in acceleration, deceleration, or load, it appears to be directly correlated to the speed of the vehicle. It has been getting worse over time and the window range of speeds at which it vibrates at has grown from 40-65 to 25-65 mph.

The car has 167K miles on it.

I just attempted to inspect what I believe is the The front CV joint on the DRIVESHAFT (Photo attached). There was no boot so I'm unsure if this is the correct part. If it is , it doesn't have a ton of play, but it definitely has seen a lot of snow and salt in the past 17 MN winters.
I have Inspected the Boots of both CV Axles and they appear to be in good shape.
- Is there a good way to check if the grease has solidified as it does not appear to have escaped or torn?

Good call on checking fluids, I actually checked the bevel gear (and to my surprise based on the grime stuck to it) it was at a good level and the fluid looked clean. It looks like there is some sort of oil leak dripping on top. I'm also trying to diagnose the root cause there but my current focus is the vibration.

Thank you for explaining why it is unlikely that the CV axle would be able to release with the carrier bearing. That makes a lot of sense and I was wondering that myself when I was looking at the cheap replacement Axle that is going to be returned.

I did have all the tires balanced, would that not have highlighted any flat spots?

Thanks again for all of the help!
Attachments
file-1 (2).jpeg

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

The AWD propeller shaft may also cause vibrations, also by 160k the AWD Haldex is surely shot
See this owner (he talks about the AWD shaft, not about the axles shafts) https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... ller-Shaft

Otherwise, floor vibration from lower speeds may be harder to find. I would expect severe CV joint play to rather cause steering vibration, you may still test them for play www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQkFPYjh5E

The right axle shaft has a carrier bearing which keeps the shaft always properly inserted into the transmission.
The left axle shaft may become 'wobbly' where it goes inside the transmission, try see if you can 'angle' it at that place

I am also thinking at a problem with one of the main engine mounts, or even with the upper torque one. How does the mount near the crank pulley look ? Maybe check for engine shake at idle, as seen from inside the engine bay

Blacklab467  
Year and Model: 2003 xc 70

Post by Blacklab467 »

I would lean toward 2 things that are pretty easy and cheap to rule out.

Most likely your CV Axle(s). Get a couple good OEM ones from the auto wreckers. If they are good, the vibration goes away, if they are bad, the vibration might change in frequency/ speed/ etc. Also they are really easy to change on these cars, 1/2 hour a side with hand tools.

Before that I would check your Bevel gear output flange. Try to see if it is loose and moves around excessively, if so there is likely bearing failure and internal problems. Also see if you can turn the propshaft by hand with the front of the car jacked up, this will test your collar sleeve and bevel gear input shaft which may be valuable to know for later if you decide to fix your AWD.

I went down the road of cheap Aftermarket CV Axles and tried 2 different new sets and both vibrated terribly, then went with used OEM ones with great results.
2003 XC 70, 2007 Duramax LBZ.

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's

Post by - Pete - »

At 167k it probably isn’t the CV axles, but don’t rule them completely out just yet. CV axles usually go around 220-230k miles.

At speed take it out of gear and put it into neutral to see if the sensation lessens, goes completely away, or no change at all.

The boot on the front driveshaft CV joint is “inverted”.

You may want to suck out the contents of the bevel gear (oil) and see how much was actually in there.

Edit: at 167k if the front wheel bearings are original they are probably just about toast. That’s a well known mileage to expect them to be done by.
2001 V70XC 167k
2004 V70 AWD 147k
2004 V70R M66 146k
2004 XC70 299k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

VlamingL

Post by VlamingL »

Thanks again for all of the guidance and advice. I have broken out the potential issues (and tests recommended) followed by status and questions I have:

Engine mount: There is no vibration at idle and I haven't seen any noticeable ware on the mounts

Propeller Shaft: I'm a little confused as to what I should be looking for here, Just for loose connections or bearing? Is there a a certain part to be checking?

CV Axles: From my impression, they seem to be solid with boots intact and no noticeable play.

Bevel Gear: out put flange: I'm a little confused as to which part is the output flange, is that the part that connects to the CV Axles or the propeller shaft?

Bearing: When I check for wobble (with the front tires lifted) 12 & 6 and 3&9 there does not seem to be any play. IS there a better way to test them?

Advice:
Take it out of gear mid vibration: I did this and noticed not reduction in vibration
Flat Spots on tire: Is it possible that the shop wouldn't have noticed flat spots while balancing? The car is not driven every day so that might lead to flat spots?
Lift front wheels and rotate: When I start to spin tires by hand you can feell/hear a little "thunk" as it engages (cant tell if it is coming from the bevel gear or the Transmission

Thanks for the help!