Planet friendly 2001 XC vs new Electric car

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive P2 platform cars sold as model years 2001-2007 (North American market year designations).

2001 - 2007 V70
2001 - 2004 V70 XC (Cross Country)
2004 - 2007 XC70 (Cross Country)
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
2004 - 2007 V70 R

darrylrobert
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc M58

Planet friendly 2001 XC vs new Electric car

Post by darrylrobert »

So a discussion around the xmas dinner table was "isnt it funny seeing these save the planet hippies driving around in old bombs with terrible fuel economy?"

My 2001 XC70 is getting around 9ltr per 100 on a long trip, around town its gone to 10ltr per 100, which is not that great.

for example the real owners reviews on the Toyota Prius say it gets 5ltr per 100 at only 73kw of power thats not that great either

So a new car will defiantly be more fuel efficient but how long to the batteries last for, ive read some reviews that say the batteries wear before warranty end and its very expensive to replace.

Seeing a few new model Teslas here in my town, some people here can afford a new Tesla or battery pack every 5 years, i cant. and i cant see how buying a new car every time a new improved model comes out will help the planet much??
1981 260 GLE converted to 240 M46 after auto box failure
1987 740t auto converted to M47
1997 V70t5 auto converted to M56
1998 V70 factory M56 (parts car)
2001 XC70 factory M58
2002 XC70 auto (parts car)

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Keeping an old car on the road , as long as it has a catalytic converter, is every bit as friendly as driving a Prius. The calculation gets complicated but the carbon foot print of a new car of any type is huge and takes a long time to get back in fuel economy

Those self righteous ones driving plug in cars are being powered by coal, oil, and gas plants ( I think your grid mix in AUS is similar to ours)
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

ignatz  
Year and Model: 2002 V70t, 2001 V70

Post by ignatz »

Around where I live are mostly SUV's and pickup trucks with extended cabs. Rather than complain about how blutzie the roads are, they drive big vehicles that smooth out the road.
Our 2001 Volvos turn 20 this year and are holding up well. Gas prices around here are going up a little, and it seems locally that the spread between regular and premium is greater than before. I still run premium gas as a preventive measure to hope the head never comes off one of my cars.
As time moves forward, I hope I can still buy gas and add oil to my old car.
98 S70 T-5

dmg4
Year and Model: 1993 245 Classic

Post by dmg4 »

There are multiple components to conservation of energy and living "green'. Some are substantive, and some are not. Buying a new hybrid or e-car (or really any new car at frequent intervals) and thinking you've done your bit is just wrong. The life cycle analysis for a carbon footprint will almost always favor keeping what you have rather than causing something else to be made anew. I have 3 cars: a 1993 Volvo 240, a 1996 Chevrolet Caprice (5.7L LT1 V8), and a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood (same engine as the Caprice). All are in excellent repair, and they all get between 21 and 26 mpg at 70 mph in highway driving. When I don't drive them, their gas mileage is infinite. I walk to work, and have for 35 years. I chose to do so to conserve energy (and time) in a meaningful way. I don't drive anywhere unless it is necessary. I am mindful to combine trips. I will share rides with others, and mooch when I can. I drive about 10,000 miles per year, almost exclusively on vacations in the US in one of these cars. I could jet off to Davos to demonstrate at a climate summit, but I choose not to do so.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Eventually most cars will turn electric - but I guess 20-30 years from now there will be a new form of energy storage available and the actual electric cars will look like dinosaurs with their big batteries. Producing the large Li-Ion batteries is very polluting to the environment and has several ethical issues, especially in central african countries like Congo and Rwanda where conflict minerals are the money source for many small armed groups that keep killing and controlling civilians to this very day (yet all major media networks turn a blind eye and rather prefer talking about migrants)

The major actual problems for the environment are not necessarily combustion engines. Deforestation for soy plantations (such as the irreversible destruction of the Amazonian forest), meat production, plastic pollution and above all electric energy production from coal burning, cause much more damage to the environment and air quality. In the graph below, transportation includes everything: commercial, private, ships, planes, trains, buses, private vehicles, etc

What is true about combustion engines is they ruin the air quality inside the cities

Source: https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/global ... sions-data
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (42.43 KiB) Viewed 161 times

volvolugnut  
Year and Model: 2001 V70

Post by volvolugnut »

Very interesting discussion. I try to reduce my energy use, reuse what I can, and recycle paper, plastic and metals.
volvolugnut
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Speaking about EV cars.. I'm not going to post this on EV forums, but for having driven one, to me an electric car is purely an A to B vehicle. It has no soul, no excitement, I would even say no enjoyment to it. Of course, EV fans are going to throw flames and call me liar, but a decent gasoline engine always brings some sort of excitement to a vehicle. It is true, in sports mode an EV will rip tires BUT .. there is a big but, 99% of times you are not going drive an EV just normally with the traffic. So that "wow, that torque" factor is actually barely present, unless you are going to race it in the week-ends. And speaking about 'racing' EV cars, yet another thing they don't tell you: there's two things that kill Lithium battery range. First, well know is cold weather. But a much less told one is .. high speeds. Basically, electric cars are about the worst choice if you want to drive on Autobahns in Germany. At 100mph the battery range takes a huge hit, I'll put below a battery range graph for tesla cars vs cruising speed, give you an idea. Funnily enough, also less known is the maximum battery range of EV cars is actually ... much larger than what the car makers will tell, given you can drive the car at 20-30mph cruise speeds, check the graph, that gives no less than 400-500 miles actual range - however little chances one will cruise at such speed in real life
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 153 times